Subject: HRCF: Deval Patrick Sworn In As Asst Attorney-General for Civil
From: [email-masked] Mon Apr 18 08:36:11 1994

>From: [email-masked]

PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND

The nation's largest lesbian, gay and bisexual political group

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   CONTACT:  Gregory King
                                        (202) 628-4160 work
                                        (202) 547-4310 home

                        DEVAL PATRICK SWORN IN AS
               ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR CIVIL RIGHTS

     WASHINGTON, DC  (April 14, 1994)  Boston attorney Deval
Patrick used the opportunity of his swearing in ceremony as
Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights to call for an
increased commitment to equal rights and an end to gay bashings.
Patrick noted the need to "reclaim America's imperative" for
equality and justice, and denounced violence based on sexual
orientation.

     Tim McFeeley, executive director of the Human Rights
Campaign Fund, the nation's largest lesbian and gay political
group, praised Patrick's remarks, calling them "a clear sign that
he will be a forceful leader in the effort to end hate crimes."
McFeeley was among several gay and lesbian leaders who attended
the swearing-in ceremony at the Justice Department.

     "As an attorney working in the area of civil rights, Deval
Patrick understands the harsh reality of discrimination, and he
will work to insure that all Americans are judged on their merit
and abilities," McFeeley said.  "Patrick shares our belief that
no one should be fired from a job and lose their means of making
a living simply because of prejudice."

     Patrick, whose nomination was endorsed by the Campaign Fund,
served as Vice Chair of the Massachusetts Judicial Nominating
Council, which screens candidates for appointment to state court
judgeships by Republican Governor William Weld.  The Judicial
Council recommended, and Governor Weld appointed, two openly
lesbian nominees to the bench during Patrick's term.

                              - 30 -

     1012 14th Street, NW  Suite 607  Washington, DC  20005
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323

---
RON BUCKMIRE, 11 Colvin Circle, Troy, NY 12180-3735. ``Stonewall25: 6/26/94''
[email-masked][email-masked]||+1 518 276 8910
1633 members of the United States Senate were elected between 1789 and 1992.
Sixteen were women, four of which were elected in 1992.

--
__ David B. O'Donnell ([email-masked], [email-masked])
\/ System Administrator, America Online, Inc. - Tel. +1 703/556-3725
   List Owner/Editor of Belief-L, GLB-News and Softrevu