Subject: HRCF PRESS RELEASE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 14:31:51 -0400 Eastern

PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE  

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The nation's largest lesbian, gay and bisexual political group   

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   CONTACT:  Gregory King
                                        (202) 628-4160 work
                                        (202) 547-4310 home

          PRESIDENT CLINTON ANNOUNCES OPPOSITION 
               TO ANTI-GAY BALLOT INITIATIVES
    
     WASHINGTON, DC  (February 15, 1994)  President Clinton today
announced his opposition to anti-gay and lesbian ballot
initiatives currently being planned in as many as ten states. 
The President's opposition came in a written reply to a letter
signed by leaders of several national lesbian and gay
organizations.  

     "Those who would legalize discrimination on the basis of
sexual orientation or any other grounds are gravely mistaken
about the values that make our nation strong," the President
wrote.  "The essential right of equality must not be denied by
ballot initiative or otherwise."

     The President rejected the claim that lesbian and gay
Americans are seeking "special rights."  "This is not an issue of
'special rights' for any one group.  This is a battle to protect
the human rights of every individual," the President continued.

     Tim McFeeley, executive director of the Human Rights
Campaign Fund, along with William Waybourn of the Gay and Lesbian
Victory Fund and Peri Jude Radecic of the National Gay and
Lesbian Task Force, responded to the President's statement at a
press conference held at the National Press Club in Washington,
D.C.  "The President's message asks all Americans to support our
most basic values, to judge people on the merits and to reject
state ballot initiatives which promote division and legalize
discrimination," McFeeley said.  

     McFeeley stated that the ballot measures provide an
opportunity to unite Americans against discrimination and
increase public understanding of the discrimination lesbian and
gay Americans face in daily life.  "In the coming months, we will
work to build a strong national alliance against discrimination. 
We will support efforts to strengthen the ties between lesbian
and gay people and our non-gay families, friends, neighbors and
coworkers," McFeeley said.

     The Human Rights Campaign Fund, along with other national
organizations, is providing assistance to state campaigns
fighting the anti-gay initiatives.  More than 29,000 Campaign
Fund members wrote to President Clinton in the past week,
requesting that he issue a statement opposing the ballot
initiatives.  For more information on the Ballot Measure
Campaign, call the HRCF Communications Department at (202)
628-4160. 
          
                              - 30 -

     1012 14th Street, NW  Suite 607  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323