Subject: David Nelson named to Washington PAC
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:56:45 -0500 (EST)

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Friday, January 10, 1997

Contact: David Nelson
 David Nelson Communications(TM)
 Post Office Box 112095
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-2095
 (801)297-2518
 Facsimile/modem available
 Internet: [email-masked]

Tear sheet requested

DAVID NELSON NAMED TO WASHINGTON PAC

SALT LAKE CITY - The gay Utahn who built one of the largest political-action
committees in the state is planning to continue his work here as part of one
of the largest political-action committees in the United States.

David Nelson was appointed today by leaders of the Washington-based
political-action committee Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund to serve as a member
of the group's national board of directors. He served for seven years as the
founder of the political-action committee Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats(TM)
before it closed last month.

The five-year-old Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund has raised more than $1.3
million as the only group in the nation that works to elect openly gay and
lesbian people to local, state and federal public offices. The group ranks as
the 15th largest independent political-action committee in the nation and
helped double the number of openly gay and lesbian elected public officials.

Nelson looks forward to his work with the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund which
will include developing ways for the group to expand its growth in the state
and nation with fund raising and recruiting candidates for elected public
office.

"Nothing compares with electing our own leaders," Nelson said. "Gay and
lesbian elected public officials are serving their communities as ably and
articulately as our friends have. Their elections guarantee us an
uncompromising place at the political table."

"There are certain political districts in the state and nation where
qualified gay and lesbian people can be elected to public office with the
right combination of campaign resources and training," Nelson said. "Our job
is to match these resources with talented candidates."