From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 14:27:03 EDT

************************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS 
************************************************************************

Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund
1012 14th Street, NW Suite 707
Washington, DC  20005
voice: (202) 842-8679
fax:   (202) 289-3863
email: [email-masked]

Victory Fund Members Contribute $200,000 to 
Openly Gay and Lesbian Candidates 

Victory Fund Will Surpass its 1993 Totals 

WASHINGTON, DC (12 April 1994) Members of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund
have contributed more than $200,000 directly to the campaigns ofopenly
lesbian and gay candidates in 1994 races, according to executive director
William Waybourn.  Only four months into the new year, the Victory Fund is
only $2,000 away from surpassing its 1993 record of $202,883.  "This is a
tribute to both the dedication of our members and the quality of our
candidates," Waybourn said.  "We are proud of our ability to raise money for
our own."  

     In order to receive Victory Fund recommendation, candidates must be
openly gay or lesbian; support federal gay and lesbian civil rights
legislation and similar state and local anti-discrimination laws; advocate
aggressive public policies and campaign positions relevant to gay and lesbian
health and wellness, AIDS research, education and treatment, and women's
reproductive freedom; and demonstrate electoral viability.  The last criteria
is the most difficult, as candidates must document all aspects of their
campaign strategy, including qualifications and personal history, budgeting,
fundraising, targeting, direct mail, staffing, volunteer recruitment and
deployment, endorsement, previous voting patterns, demographics and
opposition research.  "Our candidate screening process is particularly
extensive for good reason," Waybourn said.  "Viability helps determine
winnability, and we're looking for qualified openly gay and lesbian
candidates who, but for the lack of money, could win their races." 

     Nineteen-ninety-four is proving to be a banner year for the Victory
Fund.  Besides surpassing it's 1993 record of contributing $200,000 directly
to recommended candidates, Waybourn predicts that the national donor network
will support at least 20 candidates this year, a 60 percent increase over its
1993 total.

[For more information please contact Colleen Donnelly at the Victory Fund.]