Subject: Bill Clinton on Referenda
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 21:58:55 EST

Following please find a copy of a letter from President Bill Clinton to the
Executive Director of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund in Washington D.C.
concerning the radicals attempts to pass ballot iniatives against Gays and
Lesbians in several states:

**************************************************************

February 14, 1994

Mr. William Waybourn
Executive Director
Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund
Seventh Floor
1012 14th Street NW
Washington, D.C.  20005

Dear Mr. Waybourn:

Thank you and your colleagues for your letter of February 9, 1994.  Like you,
I am committed to the fight for equality for all Americans. 

All people in our society must enjoy the opportunity to be judged on their
merits.  Sadly, as you point out, this simple principle of justice has come
under assault in several states this year. 

Those who would legalize discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or
any other grounds are gravely mistaken about the values that make our nation
strong.  The essential right ot 
equality must not be denied by a ballot initiative or otherwise. 

I commend the broad-based coalition of leaders from the religious
communities, labor unions, environmental groups, gay and lesbian
organizations, women's groups, senior citizens, groups who have united to
oppose these ballot initiatives.  You have demonstrated through your actions
and your diverse membership that this is not an issue of "special rights" for
any one group.  This is a battle to protect the human rights of every
individual. 

Sincerely, 

Bill Clinton