Subject: GLSTN INTERNSHIPS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 11:21:04 -0500

***PLEASE RE-POST AS WIDELY AS POSSIBLE***

GLSTN INTERNSHIPS FOR THE 1996-1997 SCHOOL YEAR
(last updated 11/12/96)

HELP END HOMOPHOBIA IN SCHOOLS WITH A GLSTN INTERNSHIP!

"My GLSTN internship experience was fabulous!I I developed community 
organizing skills that are essential to my future career in political 
activism." 
     --Leif Mitchell, GLSTN Summer '96 Intern

"GLSTN interns are an integral part of our GLSTN team. Their 
contributions and insights are invaluable, and have a real impact on our 
work." 
     --Kevin Jennings, GLSTN Executive Director

GLSTN INTERNSHIP FREQUENTLY-ASKED-QUESTIONS (FAQ)

WHAT POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE?

There are three internships available for the 1996-1997 school year. The 
internships may be a single semester or for the entire year. They may be 
full-time or part-time, although full-time interns are preferred. Three 
positions are available: Communications Associate/Web Designer, Field 
Services Associate, and Assistant to the Executive Director.

1. COMMUNICATIONS/WEB DESIGNER

DESCRIPTION:

We need a full-time intern with graphic design and web experience who 
will help with two projects: (1) the design and day-to-day upkeep of 
GLSTN's site; and (2) the editing and layout GLSTN Publications. Strong 
writing skills, attention to detail, dedication to fast graphics, browser 
compatibility, and cross-platform consistency is a must.

SKILLS/REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must have experience with Quark XPress, Photoshop, 
Illustrator, Debabilizer and other design related software. Applicants 
must have HTML experience and be familiar with tables. Any illustration 
experience would be welcome. Thorough understanding of type treatments, 
interface design and site architecture is essential. Send portfolio and 
URLs of previous design work.

HOURS:

37.5 per week (or possibly two part-timers)

2. FIELD SERVICES ASSOCIATE

DESCRIPTION:

This intern will work with the Director of Field Services to manage 
GLSTN's network of over 40 local Chapters. The Field Service Associate 
will help do community organizing by  facilitating communication between 
Chapters and the National office, assisting the Director of Field 
Services in developing publications, and coordinating the distribution of 
National-Chapter communiques.

SKILLS/REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must be organized and have the ability to handle multiple 
tasks simultaneously. Strong written and verbal skills are a must, and 
experience with Macintosh environments, email, and the world wide web are 
important. Experience with gay and lesbian issues in education, and/or 
work with volunteer-based organizations will be very helpful.

HOURS:

37.5 per week (or possibly two part-timers)

3. ASSISTANT TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

DESCRIPTION:

This intern will work with the Executive Director on program development, 
volunteer management, office management, fundraising, and communications. 
The Assistant to the Executive Director will work closely with the 
Director on a variety of tasks related to the management of a nonprofit 
organization. Applicants interested in nonprofit management will benefit 
greatly from the experience.

SKILLS/REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must be organized and have the ability to handle multiple 
tasks simultaneously. Strong written and verbal skills are a must, and 
experience with Macintosh environments, email, and the world wide web are 
important. Experience with gay and lesbian issues in education, and/or 
interest in nonprofit management will be very helpful.

HOURS:

37.5 per week (or possibly two part-timers)

WHEN WILL I WORK?

Selected interns should plan to start their internship as soon as 
possible following notification -- but no later than the dates indicated 
below. Finalists will be contacted between the application and 
notification dates for an in-person or phone interview. (We also have 
several volunteer internship opportunities -- not schedule-dependent -- 
for which we encourage applications.)

WINTER '97 INTERNSHIP (Winter Break)
Application Due: 11/15/96 
Notification: 11/30/96
Start Date: No later than 1/5/97
End Date: No earlier than 1/31/97

SPRING '97 INTERNSHIP
Application Due: 11/30/96
Notification: 12/16/96 
Start Date: No later than 2/1/97
End Date: No earlier than 5/15/97

SUMMER '97 INTERNSHIP
Application Due: 4/15/97
Notification: 5/1/97
Start Date: No later than 6/1/97 
End Date: No earlier than 8/15/97

WHERE WILL I WORK?

You will work in the GLSTN National office on West 26th Street in New 
York City. Please note: Room and board will not be provided by GLSTN.

WHAT WILL I MAKE?

The internship will pay $200 weekly for full-time interns and 
commensurate for time worked for part-time interns.

Higher salaries are may be possible for students eligible for the federal 
Work-Study program, and students eligible for Federal Work Study are 
encouraged to apply.

HOW DO I GET THIS JOB?

If interested, submit a letter of interest that explains why you want the 
internship and what skills you would bring to it (please be specific 
about computer skills), your resume, and two letters of reference.

MAIL APPLICATIONS TO: 
GLSTN INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
122 WEST 26TH STREET, SUITE 1100, NEW YORK, NY 10001
OR SUBMIT BY FAX TO: 212-727-0254

The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) is an equal 
opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual 
orientation. Members of groups historically under-represented in the GLB 
movement are especially encouraged to apply.

GLSTN is the largest organization of parents, educators, students and 
other concerned citizens working to end homophobia in K-12 schools and to 
ensure that all students are valued and respected, regardless of sexual 
orientation. To fulfill its mission and to raise awareness of these 
issues, GLSTN produces audio, visual and text-based educational 
materials, provides training, produces community programming and 
conferences, and organizes a growing national network of over 40 regional 
chapters.

Membership in GLSTN is open to anyone -- regardless of their occupation 
or sexual orientation -- who is committed to seeing that the current 
generation is the last to suffer from homophobia. 

GLSTN
122 West 26th Street, Suite 1100 
New York, NY 10001 USA 
Tel: (212) 727-0135 
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.glstn.org/respect/

========================================================

GLSTNAlert is a GLSTN news bulletin service of the The Gay, Lesbian, and 
Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN). 

========================================================

To Unsubscribe from GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Unsubscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes 
and note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert).

========================================================

To Subscribe to GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Subscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes and 
note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert). Also: please write your name in 
the message portion of your email.

========================================================