Subject: OCT. 7TH, DEADLINE FOR VOTER REGISTRATION/ABSENTEE VOTING
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 15:20:05 -0400

FROM:  L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Public Policy Dept.
             1625 N. Schrader Blvd.
             Los Angeles, CA  90028-6213
             (213) 860-7350.

PLEASE POST EVERYWHERE!
******************************************************************************
****

*****************************************
P R O M O T E   T H E   V O T E  *
*****************************************

"The RIGHT TO VOTE freely . . . is of the essence of a democratic
society, and any restrictions on that right strike at the heart of
representative government."  Chief Justice Earl Warren, Reynold vs.
Sims (1964).

****************************************
R E G I S T E R    T O    V O T E *
****************************************

Deadline to Register:  Monday, Oct. 7th, 1996
    
Election: Tuesday, Nov. 5th, 1996, Presidential/General Election

If you have moved since the last election, you must re-register
to vote.  All forms must be mailed/postmarked by Monday,
Oct. 7th, 1996.

ABSENTEE VOTING PROCEDURE

For Los Angeles County, California resident, if for any reason,
you will be out of town or could not make it to the
polling place to vote on November 5th, 1996, you may request,
through the County Clerk/Registrar-Recorder Office to send you
an absentee ballot.

Please follow these procedures for absentee voting in
Los Angeles County, California:

1) Send a short letter ASAP to the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
Office requesting to mail you an absentee ballot.

2) The following information must be included in the letter:  Printed Name,
Signature, Mailing Address and your Voter Identification Number.   If you
don't know your voter ID, call the clerk's office at (310) 462-2748.

3) Mail your letter to:  Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
                                   P.O. Box 30450
                                   Los Angeles, CA  90030-0450

On the bottom left-hand corner of the envelope, indicate the capital
letters AV for absentee voter.

4) Absentee Ballots will be mailed starting this coming Monday, Oct. 7th,
until Tuesday, Oct. 29th, 1996.

5) In addition to sending a letter of request to become an absentee voter,
you may also use the absentee voter form in the sample ballot
pamphlet you will be receiving in the next few weeks.  The only caveat
to this method though is that it may take a while before you receive the
pamphlet.

The sooner you get your request, through a letter or some other way,  to
the county clerk's office, the faster it would be for the clerk's office to
process your request.

If you have any question, please call the L.A. County
Clerk/Registrar-Recorder's Office at (310)462-2748.

FOR ALL OTHER JURISDICTIONS, PLEASE CALL YOUR
LOCAL COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE FOR INFORMATION
ABOUT VOTERREGISTRATION/ABSENTEE VOTING.
YOU MAY FIND THEIR PHONE NUMBER IN THE
GOVERNMENT SECTION OF THE PHONE BOOK'S
WHITE PAGES.

PROMOTE THE VOTE, a project of the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center,
in cooperation with the National Assn. of Lesbian & Gay
Community Centers.

###