Subject: JOB OPPORTUNITIES AT THE L.A. GAY & LESBIAN CENTER
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 13:53:43 -0400

L.A. GAY & LESBIAN CENTER, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
TWO JOB ANNOUNCEMENTS
PLEASE POST!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

Position:      Constituent Coordinator
Program:       Administration - Public Policy
Salary:             $26,000
Status:             100%
Probation:          180 days
Benefits:      Medical, Vision, Dental,  and Life Insurance; also including
Long
                   Term Disability, an Employee Assistance Program, and a
403B
                   retirement plan.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:  Under the general supervision of the Director
of Public Policy and Communications, the Constituent Coordinator shall:

1)   Devise, implement, and maintain citizen response networks and programs
for activation on critical public policy issues;
2)   Coordinate letter-writing campaigns, lobby visits, telephone trees, and
public outreach and information campaigns;
3)   Solicit and organize support for specific public policy initiatives,
including representing the department and speaking at public meetings and
other events and coordinating signature gathering efforts;
4)   Recruit and schedule public policy volunteers and interns;
5)   Draft advocacy letters to public officials and media; research and write
action alerts and short position papers;
6)   Assist in the planning and coordination of community forums, receptions,
and other special events;
7)   Maintain liaison with other public advocacy organizations and with
government offices;
8)   Other duties as assigned;

QUALIFICATIONS:

1)   1-2 years experience as a political/social activism organizer;
2)   Good general knowledge of gay/lesbian issues and some familiarity with
government and politics at all levels;
3)   Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong
 organizational, detail and interpersonal skills;
4)   Demonstrated ability to motivate and support volunteers;
5)   Computer skills and knowledge including word processing, database
operations, spreadsheets, desk top publishing software and other software and
on-line software systems;
6)   Demonstrated ability to work effectively with men and women of diverse
races, ethnicities, ages, and sexual orientations in a multicultural
environment;
7)   Ability to work efficiently and independently in a high-pressure
professional environment requiring a wide variety of tasks;
8)   Bilingual English/Spanish a plus;
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------

Position:      Office Administrator
Program:       Administration - Public Policy
Salary:             $11.52/hr
Status:             100%
Probation:          90 days
Benefits:      Medical, Vision, Dental,  and Life Insurance; also including
Long
Term Disability, an Employee Assistance Program, and a 403B retirement plan.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:  Under the direct supervision of the Director of
Public Policy and Communications, the Office Administrator shall:

1)   Assist in the planning and implementation of projects for the Director
of Public Policy and Communications;
2)   Coordinate travel and calendar for the Director, including making
out-of-town travel arrangements, setting up meetings and appointments, and
answering and screening telephone calls;
3)   Draft reports and correspondence; process mail and coordinate mailings;
filing, photocopying, word processing, and other administrative duties as
necessary;
4)   Monitor departmental budget, including tracking of expenses and
revenues.
5)   Prepare and maintain timely and accurate fiscal updates.
6)   Prepare and track purchase orders, check requests, departmental
accounts, etc.;
7)   Assist in the development and maintenance of information resources
including computer networks and general files;
8)   Assist in the organization and coordination of forums, meetings,
receptions, press conferences, and other special events.
9)   Agenda preparation and minute taking as necessary;
10)  Handle routine telephone inquiries and general information requests; 
11)  Other duties as assigned.

QUALIFICATIONS:

1)   3-5 years general office experience, with some office management
experience preferred;
2)   Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communications skills;
3)   Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with a keen attention to
detail;
4)   Superior computer skills and knowledge, including word processing,
database operations, spreadsheets, internet, and on-line software systems;
5)   Knowledge or background in basic accounting, bookkeeping, or budgeting
with a general facility for numbers and budgets;
6)   Ability to work effectively in a high-pressure environment while dealing
with a wide variety of tasks;
7)   Capacity to deal with a diverse public with tact and diplomacy;
8)   Demonstrated ability to work effectively with men and women of diverse
races, ethnicities, ages, and sexual orientations in a multicultural
environment;
9)   Bilingual Spanish/English a plus;
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------

The LA Gay & Lesbian Center, with more than 240 employees and 3,000
volunteers, is the world's largest gay and lesbian organization, and a
leading HIV/AIDS care provider.  Celebrating its 25th anniversary, it is a
powerful non-profit force for gay and lesbian civil rights and home to an
array of free or low cost health, educational, cultural and social programs
welcoming 14,000 client visits from ethnically diverse youth and adults every
month.

If you're interested in either one of the above positions, please forward
your resume and cover letter to:

                              LA Gay & Lesbian Center - Human Resources
                              1625 N. Schrader Blvd.
                              Los Angeles, CA  90028
                              Fax (213) 993-7687

                       Equal Opportunity Employer
Women, Disabled, People of Color, and Persons over 55 are encouraged to
apply.

8/96