Subject: Los Angeles AIDS Candlelight Memorial & Mobilization Observance
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 14:05:23 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   
MAY 9, 1996

CONTACT:  ERIC ASTACAAN, L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center
PHONE:    (213) 860-7353
PAGER:    (818) 937-9056

Los Angeles Among 290 Cities to Participate in  the
13th International AIDS Candlelight Memorial and Mobilization

Los Angeles Observance Will Focus on Theme:

"Communities in Unity for Tolerance"

Los Angeles will join over 290 cities in over 40 nations and all 50
states in the United States in observance of the International
AIDS Candlelight Memorial and Mobilization, the world's largest
annual grassroots AIDS event, on SUNDAY, MAY 19TH.  This year's
theme is "Communities in Unity for Tolerance."  The Coalition
endeavors to unite the diverse communities of Los Angeles in
remembering and honoring those we have lost; to build the
self-esteem of people who have HIV/AIDS or are at risk for HIV
infection; and, to create an environment of mutual trust, support
and collaboration critical to bringing about and sustaining
the behavior change that is necessary to reduce the spread of
HIV and AIDS.

The Los Angeles observance will be hosted by the Los Angeles
AIDS Candlelight Coalition at 5:00 p.m. in OLVERA PLAZA
(El Pueblo Historic Park), right across from the Union
Station, in downtown Los Angeles.  Participants will light candles,
hear remarks from local individuals impacted by HIV and AIDS,
and listen to performances by various cultural groups. The event will
also serve as an opportunity for the citizens of Los Angeles to learn
about the HIV/AIDS services offered locally, and about
volunteer opportunities.

Over a hundred community-based organizations and thousands
of participants are expected to participate in this year's observance.

Event participants are encouraged to bring candles and cups to
shield the flame.  A limited supply of candles and cups will be
available at the event.

For further information, or TO VOLUNTEER TO HELP ORGANIZE
OR STAFF THE EVENT, please call Eric Astacaan at (213) 860-7353
or e-mail us at [email-masked]..

Los Angeles AIDS Candlelight Coalition Planning Committee (Partial List)

Coordinating Agency:  L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center
ACT UP/LA, AIDS Healthcare Foundation, AIDS Project Los Angeles,
AIDS Service Center, American Latin Alliances,
Altamed HIV Services, Asian Pacific AIDS Intervention Team,
Asian/Pacific Gays & Friends, Bienestar Human Services,
Cara A Cara Latino AIDS Project, Caring for Babies With AIDS,
Children's Hospital Los Angeles,
City of West Hollywood Lesbian & Gay Advisory Council,
Congregation Kol Ami,
CSU Northridge LGBT Community Resource Center,
East Valley Community Health Center, El Centro Del Pueblo,
Episcopal AIDS Ministry, Gay Asian Pacific Support Network,
Gay Vietnamese Alliance, Imani Unidos AIDS Project,
Jovenes, Inc., L.A. Free Clinic HIV Day Program,
Metropolitan Community Church, Pacific Center HIV/AIDS Counseling,
Santa Monica AIDS Project, Search to Involve Pilipino Americans,
Tarzana Treatment Center

###END###