Subject: GLAAD NY/Lesbian Visibility Mural at Yankee Stadium Subway
From: [email-masked] (Seth Bookey)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1993 19:16:14 GMT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

                                         Contact: Donald Suggs
                                         Dir. of Public Affairs
                                         GLAAD/NY  212.807.1700

                        SUBWAY SHORTSTOPS
                        -----------------
     GLAAD/NY's MTA-sponsored photo installation gives new
               meaning to "A League of Our Own."

New York, New York, May 18, 1993 -- The Lesbian Visibility
Committee of the New York chapter of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation (GLAAD/NY), in conjunction with Gay Games IV,
will unveil "Subway Shortstops," a GLAAD/NY photo installation of
lesbian softball players at the Yankee Stadium subway stop. The 32-
foot installation turns subway riders into spectators of a softball
game, giving them a bull-pen perspective of lesbian athletes in
competition.

The installation -- one in a series of images featured in the
Metropolitan Transit Authority's Arts for Transit Exhibition Center
Program -- is comprised of a series of black and white panoramic
photos by photographer/filmmaker George Camarda. It will be
unveiled at 11:00 AM on Wednesday, May 19, at the 161st Street
subway station exit on the mezzanine level of Yankee Stadium. The
installation will be on display until November.

Highlighting the theme of lesbians in athletics, Marian Burton
Nelson, author of "Are We Winning Yet," a best-seller on women in
sports, will speak about lesbians in the sports world.

Founded in 1985, GLAAD/NY works for fair, accurate, and inclusive
representations of lesbians and gay men in the media. GLAAD/NY's
Lesbian Visibility Committee promotes positive images of lesbians
in the media whenever and wherever possible.

Gay Games IV is an International Olympic-style athletic and
cultural event open to all, which promotes lesbians and gay men in
athletics. The next Gay Games will be held in New York City in June
of 1994 and expects to include more than 15,000 athletes and
thousands of other participants from more than forty countries
around the world. In addition, more than 500,000 spectators are
expected to converge on New York City during the week's events,
bringing in an estimated $111 million to the area's merchants
(according to NYC Mayor's office).

Arts for Transit is a division of the MTA, which encourages the use
of public transportation by presenting visual arts in the subway.

                            #   #   #