Subject: GLAAD/Atlanta News Sept. 21
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 94 09:37:47 EDT

GLAAD/Atlanta News
September 21 1994
by Carl Lange

"MAZDA...IT JUST FEELS RIGHT."

What slick new magazine has a lesbian couple embracing and a gay couple on
its first two pages of advertising? "Urban Fitness."  This new publication
"aimed primarily but not exclusively at gay men and women," is chock full of
major corporate advertising.  The first two pages feature a Mazda car
advertisement  with a lesbian couple in an affectionate embrace with the
slogan "MAZDA...IT JUST FEELS RIGHT."  Mercedes-Benz features a gay couple as
does an advertisement for the California based Coast Mountain Sports.

"Urban Fitness" addresses issues of sports, travel, health, fitness and
fashion that according to the editor does not dwell on "sexually explicit,
political, or radical lifestyle choices."  While the publication is
predominately white male, there is a "Woman 2 Woman" section but
unfortunately little representation of people of color.

Send supportive comments and suggestions to Jim Herman,
publisher/editor-in-chief, Urban Fitness, Suite 2200, 1420 Fifth Ave.,
Seattle, Washington, 98101; phone 1-800-460-0629; fax 206-224-2880.  Write:
Kazuo Sonoguchi, CEO, Mazda, PO Box 19734, Irvine, CA 92713.  The agent who
placed the Mazda advertisement is Alex Jones at Culver City Import Group
(Mazda) at 310-204-5810.  Coast Mountain Sports has received more response
from their ad than any other they have ever placed.  They may be reached at
604-731-6181.

SONY CENSORS

Owners of the big electronic billboard in Times Square have refused to air
gay public service announcements.  The Sony Video 1 billboard has rejected
two paid public service announcements submitted by video artist Edgar Barens.
 Entitled "Why Not Love?/Get Used To It," the spots denounce violence and
promote acceptance of gay love by contrasting shots of two men fighting with
images of the same two men kissing.  Edgar Barens was informed by Sony 1
Video Network Account Executive Tom DeTulleo that the spots were "too
controversial" and "could be construed as pro-homosexual."
 
Express your billboard-sized outrage to Evelyn Ackley, NY Bright Lights
Corp., Sony, 1 Sony Drive, MD 1E6, Park Ridge, NJ 07656-8003, tel.
201-930-6426.

QUEER FALL PREVIEW !
by Al Kielwasser, GLAAD SFBA

The new television season is upon us, heralded by the much-anticipated video
bible -- the "Fall Preview" issue of TV Guide.  To augment TV Guide's annual
tips and touts, here's the scoop on three programs to be especially watchful
over in the coming season.

1.  Melrose Place.  The gay character played by actor Doug Savant will be
back, but it's unlikely that "Matt" will evolve beyond the non-sexual token
he has been since the series began.  Last season, the FOX network refused
even to show Matt kissing a date goodnight.  
 
This season, Matt will meet up once again with the gay sailor he met some
months ago.  However, the program's heterosexist double-standard will likely
continue; on Melrose Place, only straight people will be allowed to kiss or
cuddle before the cameras.  In the September 16 issue of Entertainment
Weekly, Sandy Grushow, President of FOX TV, explained the homophobic policy:
 "There is a line that, when one crosses it, a company suffers financial
hardship.  We are not interested in suffering that hardship."  In other
words, FOX is willing treat lesbians and gay men as second-class citizens, as
long as it makes a buck.  Comments on this cowardly greed can be sent to
Sandy Grushow, President, FOX TV, P.O. Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213.  

Melrose Place has the potential, the power and--presumably--the good will to
do something positive for our community.  Keep the pressure on by  sending
copies of your letters to Aaron Spelling, Darren Star, and Duke Vincenti,
Executive Producers, Melrose Place, Spelling Enterprises, 5700 Wilshire
Blvd., Los Angeles, 90036.

2.  Roseanne.  The progressive sit-com could strike another blow for queer
visibility by letting young "D.J." come out of the closet.  Instead,
Executive Producer Rob Ulin has adamantly  denied rumors that D.J.'s
character will reveal he's gay this season.  So why not?  Ask Rob Ulin,
Executive Producer, Roseanne, c/o Carsey-Werner Co., 4024 Radford Avenue,
Bldg. 3, Studio City CA 91604.

3.  My So Called Life.  This new series has graced television  screens with
the nation's first continuing queer teen character on network television.  So
far, the series has been well-received and widely-praised for its
ground-breaking portrayal of a bisexual boy.  

Send encouraging feedback to Edward Zwich and Marshall Herskovitz, Executive
Producers,  My So Called Life, c/o ABC Entertainment, 2040 Avenue of the
Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067, tel. 310-557-7777.  Copy your letter to Ted
Harbert, President, ABC Entertainment, at the same address. 
 
MEDIA BRIEF

Look the Other Way will be an hour-long documentary that explores how
children form their  attitudes towards lesbians and gay men during the
elementary  school years, and the role schools should play in the process.
 The producers are currently seeking information, stories, insights, and
suggestions from progressive educators around the country who are concerned
about these issues.  Please contact Debra Chasnoff or Helen  Cohen at Women's
Educational Media, 2180 Bryant St., Suite 203, San Francisco,  CA 94110, tel.
415-641-4616,  fax 415-641-4632.

We welcome and thank you for your contributions to this column.  Permission
is granted to distribute and/or reproduce this column in part or in its
entirety provided attribution is made to GLAAD/Atlanta or Al Kielwasser,
GLAAD/SFBA when appropriate.  For more information about GLAAD/Atlanta write
PO Box 55111, Atlanta, GA 30308; phone 404-876-1398; fax 404-876-4051;
internet: [email-masked].  This column is a product of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation/Atlanta, Incorporated. 

---------------------------

1994 Southeastern Regional Bisexual Conference

Luigi Ferrer and Loraine Hutchins Confirmed will be keynote speakers at a
bisexual conference to be held on October 28, 29 & 30 at Camp Chestnut Ridge,
Efland, North Carolina.  This conference is hosted by the North Carolina
Bisexual Network and is an opportunity for social and political organizing.
 For more Information call the Bisexual Conference Hotline at  (919) 834-4494
- all calls are confidential & returned within 48 hours or write NC Bisexual
Network, 1994 Conference 207 S. Elliott Road, Suite 118, Chapel Hill, NC
27514 or e-mail: [email-masked]

PUBLIC COMMITMENT CEREMONY

GLAAD/San Diego is sponsoring its second annual Public Commitment Ceremony
and National Coming Out Day Celebration  on Monday October 10 at 7:00 pm.
 This event follows the recent veto of AB2810 (the Domestic Partners' bill)
by California Governor Wilson.

Last year's ceremony included 90 couples repeated their vows with 150 of
their loved ones, ranging in age from six months to seventy-five years,
looked on.  Participants included relative "newlyweds" and couples who had
been together for 10, 20, and 30 years. This year, more "seniors" have
indicated they will participate, and many of last years' couples will be back
to publicly reaffirm their private commitments.  

The ceremony is a public event and anyone may attend.  For a voluntary
donation of $10 or more to cover its costs, couples may receive a certificate
of their participation and commitment.  For further information please call
(619) 688-0094;  send registration checks payable to GLAAD/San Diego, 1010
University Ave #171, San Diego, CA 92103.

---------------------------------------
ACTION ALERT!

The following is a compilation of dozens of action alerts. The information
came mainly from the Human Rights Campaign Fund and the AIDS Action Council,
both based in Washington, DC.  Other groups such as the Gay, Lesbian, and
Straight Teachers Network,  have indicated that Senators are receiving on
average 1000 letters a day in favor of the Smith amendment!  These and
numerous other action alerts that the Bridges Project has received, all say
basically the same thing:  Please call your senator or representative
TODAY!!!   (N.B. There is a TOLL-FREE 800 number sponsored by the right-wing
so use it and cost them money...see below)

CALL YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TODAY!    
PROTECT LESBIAN AND GAY YOUTH! 
                                    
Joint Conference Meeting

This week, a joint House-Senate conference committee will consider the
Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).  As part of their
consideration, this committee will take action on two vital amendments which
attack lesbian and gay youth  -- the Hancock amendment and the Helms
amendment.  

Culmination of Six Month Fight

In this session of Congress, Repressive Right members of the House and the
Senate, particularly Representative Mel Hancock (R-MO) and Senator Jesse
Helms (R-NC), cynically manipulated the ESEA to attack lesbian and gay youth
by offering amendments to prohibit schools that receive federal dollars from
having any program or activity that has "the purpose or effect of encouraging
or supporting homosexuality as a positive lifestyle alternative." 

HRCF, our coalition partners, and our allies in Congress resisted their
mean-spirited efforts and succeeded in passing second - degree or alternative
amendments by Representative Jolene Unsoeld (D-WA) and Senator Edward Kennedy
(D-MA) which mitigated the effect of the original amendments.  The Unsoeld
amendment to the Hancock amendment affirmed local control over school
programs and restricted federal intrusion into local educational decisions.
The Kennedy alternative prohibited the direct use of federal funds to
"promote or encourage sexual activity" of any kind. 

Hancock/Helms Language Unacceptable

The Hancock/Helms language would have a devastating effect on schools and
youth in this country if passed into law.  It would send the message that
lesbian and gay youth are dispensable and it would force schools to choose
between providing an environment of support and tolerance for all students
and receiving essential federal dollars.  We must protect our youth by
removing this language!  

Urge Conferees to Strike Language The purpose of the conference committee is
to resolve differences among the language passed by the House and the Senate.
 HRCF is urging the appointed conferees to remove the Hancock/Helms language
from the ESEA by using the Unsoeld/Kennedy language.  Please study the sample
phone script and call your Representative and your Senators.  This week the
 conference committee intends to finish its work, so please call today!
(1-800-768-2221 is a toll-free number set up by pro-Helms groups.  This
number will connect you directly to the capitol and lobby with no cost to you
and at the expense of the right. If you have any problems with the 1-800
line, specific conferee numbers are listed below and all begin with area code
202.)
 
ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION ACT (ESEA) CONFEREES
                                                               
Senate Committee on Labor and Human Resources
                                      
>Edward Kennedy         (D-MA)    224-4543
>Nancy Kassebaum        (R-KS)    224-4774  
>Claiborne Pell         (D-RI)    224-4642
>James Jeffords         (R-VT)    224-5141
>Howard Metzenbaum      (D-OH)    224-2315
>Dan Coats              (R-IN)    224-5623
>Christopher Dodd       (D-CT)    224-2823
>Judd Gregg             (R-NH)    224-3324
>Paul Simon             (D-IL)    224-2152
>Strom Thurmond         (R-SC)    224-5972
>Tom Harkin             (D-IA)    224-3254
>Orrin Hatch            (R-UT)    224-5251
>Barbara Mikulski       (D-MD)    224-4654
>Dave Durenberger       (R-MN)    224-3244
>Jeff Bingaman          (D-NM)    224-5521
>Paul Wellstone         (D-MN)    224-5641
>Harris Wofford         (D-PA)    224-6324       

House Committee on Education and Labor
  
>William Ford           (MI-13)   225-6261
>William Goodling       (PA-19)   225-5836  
>William Clay           (MO-01)   225-2406
>Thomas Petri           (WI-06)   225-2476  
>George Miller          (CA-07)   225-2095
>Marge Roukema          (NJ-05)   225-4465
>Austin Murphy          (PA-20)   225-4665
>Steve Gunderson        (WI-03)   225-5506  
>Dale Kildee            (MI-09)   225-3611
>Dick Armey             (TX-26)   225-7772
>Pat Williams           (MT-AL)   225-3211
>Harris Fawell          (IL-13)   225-3515
>Matthew Martinez       (CA-31)   225-5464
>Cass Ballenger         (NC-10)   225-2576
>Major Owens            (NY-11)   225-6231
>Susan Molinari         (NY-13)   225-3371
>Thomas Sawyer          (OH-14)   225-5231
>Bill Barrett           (NE-03)   225-6435
>Donald Payne           (NJ-10)   225-3436
>John Boehner           (OH-08)   225-6205
>Jolene Unsoeld         (WA-03)   225-3536
>Duke Cunningham        (CA-51)   225-5452
>Patsy Mink             (HI-02)   225-4906
>Peter Hoekstra         (MI-02)   225-4401
>Robert Andrews         (NJ-01)   225-6501
>Buck McKeon            (CA-25)   225-1956
>Jack Reed              (RI-02)   225-2735
>Dan Miller             (FL-13)   225-5015
>Tim Roemer             (IN-03)   225-3915
>Michael Castle         (DE-AL)   225-4165
>Eliot Engel            (NY-17)   225-2464  
>Xavier Becerra         (CA-30)   225-6235
>Robert Scott           (VA-03)   225-8351
>Gene Green             (TX-29)   225-1688
>Lynn Woolsey           (CA-06)   225-5161
>Carlos Romero-Barcelo  (PR)      225-2615
>Ron Klink              (PA-04)   225-2565
>Karan English          (AZ-06)   225-2190
>Ted Strickland         (OH-06)   225-5705
>Ron deLugo             (VI)      225-1790
>Eni Faleomavaega       (AS)      225-8577
>Scotty Baesler         (KY-06)   225-4706

SAMPLE PHONE SCRIPT
                                    
 1    Call the Capitol Switchboard at 1-800-768-2221 or  202-224-3121 to
obtain your Senators' and Representative's phone numbers.

2    If a Member is a conferee, tell the office:

>     "As a conferee on the Elementary and Secondary Education
>     Act, I urge you to remove the Hancock/Helms language which
>     attacks lesbian and gay youth.  That language gives the
>     message that these youth are dispensable and would send them
>     back to the isolation that leads to despair.  Please use the
>     Unsoeld/Kennedy language instead."
>
>     If a Member is not a conferee, tell the office:
>
>     "Please encourage your colleagues on the Elementary and
>     Secondary Education Act conference committee to remove the
>     Hancock/Helms language which attacks lesbian and gay youth. 
>     That language gives the message that these youth are
>     dispensable and would send them back to the isolation that
>     leads to despair.  Please urge them to use the
>     Unsoeld/Kennedy language instead."  
>
>3    Ask your friends and acquaintances to call and activate the
>     phone trees of any other organizations in which you are
>     involved.  
>
>4    Ask local education or youth organizations to write official
>     letters to the conference committee.  Send us copies.
>
>5    Please contact our(HRCF) national FAN team (202)628-4160 with any
>     notable feedback.
>
>
>
>Thank you in advance for support,
>Jenie Hall
>Director 
>Bridges Project
>
>    The Bridges Project is working to build an anti-racist, anti-sexist
>national network for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth, and all
>those who support them.