Subject: GLAAD/Atlanta News Aug 31

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 94 09:44:22 EDT

GLAAD/Atlanta News
August 31, 1994
by Carl Lange

"Talk Back Live"
What do you get when you combine e-mail, fax, telephone and CNN? - "Talk Back
Live."  This new CNN show, hosted by the dynamic Susan Rook, former CNN news
anchor, has in its first two weeks dealt responsibly with a number of issues
that concern gay men, lesbians and bisexuals.  Topics have included the Cobb
County, Georgia, anti-gay resolution, Georgia's racist state flag, and
homophobia in the police force.  

On August 31, domestic partnership was the show's topic with guests Jerry
Fallwell and Rev. Michael Piazza, senior minister of the Cathedral of Hope,
MCC, Dallas, Texas.  While Mr. Fallwell is an inappropriate guest for such a
topic, his homophobic babbling and lies were sharply challenged by Rook,
Piazza, members of the audience and factual information presented throughout
the show.  Rook, who had little tolerance for Fallwell's rhetoric, at one
point cut him off completely, and switched to a break.  Invited guests in the
audience included Atlanta homophobe, Nancy Schaefer, president of Family
Concerns, an anti-gay radical "Christian" based group, and a number of
knowledgeable members of the Atlanta gay and lesbian community.

CNN has attempted to make the show as accessible to as many people as
possible with an "interactive town-meeting" format connecting people via the
"information super-highway."  There are no panelists in the studio, only
guests viewed via satellite hook-up.  The audience sits in a forum circle and
everyone is encouraged to speak.  Rook facilities between the live audience,
satellite-hooked guests,  and comments arriving by telephone, e-mail, and
fax.  

CNN has typical failed miserably in its dealings with issues of
gay/lesbian/bi communities.  For CNN to include several gay/lesbian related
topics in the first two weeks of a show is promising.  The Turner
Broadcasting System, parent of CNN, has also recently introduced a
company-wide non-discrimination based on sexual orientation policy.  

The producers of "Talk Back Live" should be thanked for including gay/lesbian
topics.  However, they should also be told that presenting a televangelist
who is clearly bent on attacking a minority "in the name of God" is not
appropriate in discussing domestic partnership, a civil right's issue.   

Rook should be commended for her responsible handling of the issues and
should be encouraged to continue hosting topics that concern the gay, lesbian
and bisexual viewers.  

Write: Susan Rook, "Talk Back Live," One CNN Center, 100 International
Boulevard, Atlanta, GA 30303; phone: 404-827-1500.  Write and call Teya Ryan,
Executive Producer at the same.  To be on the show while in Atlanta you may
pick up tickets at the CNN center or at various Atlanta hotels.  The show
airs daily at 1:00 ET., 10:00 PT. on the CNN channel and can also be viewed
on-line by Compuserve customers.  To make live comments phone 1-800-410-4CNN,
fax 1-800-310-4FAX or for e-mail go to "Talk Back" while on Compuserve.

We welcome and thank you for your contributions to this column.  Permission
is granted to distribute and/or reproduce this column in part or in its
entirety provided attribution is made to GLAAD/Atlanta when appropriate. For
more information about GLAAD/Atlanta write PO Box 55111, Atlanta, GA 30308;
phone 404-876-1398; fax 404-876-4051; internet: [email-masked].  This
column is a product of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/Atlanta,
Incorporated. 

####