From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 15:09:11 EDT

GLAAD Tidings June 15
by Carl Lange

Racist Pornography
While GLAAD/Atlanta does not necessarily condone or condemn pornography,
(that is an issue for the individual to decide) GLAAD/Atlanta does condemn
the incredible racism in an ad by Bijou Video in "Gay Chicago" magazine.
 This porn video ad, "Ghetto Guys, Volume 4," is rife with phrases such as
"[T]hese tremendous Negroes..." whose penises are "...as long as it takes
welfare checks to arrive!"  Other defamatory references are made to "crack,"
"basketball hoops," and the "projects."  Bijou claims the ad was meant as a
parody and might mistakenly be interpreted as racist.  "Gay Chicago" has
offered no apology stating that it has no advertising policy, despite the
admission by publisher Ralph Paul Gernhardt that he has refused some ads.
 Write "Gay Chicago" and Bijou Video and let them know that racist defamation
is unacceptable, anywhere, period. Demand that they issue an unqualified
public apology, insure that an incident like this will not be repeated, and
because of the severity of defamation make restitution to the black
gay/lesbian/bisexual Chicago community.
Write: Steve Toushin, Owner, Bijou Video Sales, 1363 North Wells Street,
Chicago, IL 60610; phone 1-800-932-7111.  Write: Ralph Paul Gernhardt,
Publisher, Gay Chicago, 3121 North Broadway, Chicago, IL 60657; phone
312-327-7271; fax 312-327-1002.   

Kisses for ABC
According to GLAAD/NY ABC has agreed to add lesbians and gay men to the list
of groups that cannot be misrepresented, ridiculed or attacked on its
programming.  This came about after many calls and letters in response to the
attempt to pull the "lesbian" kiss on "Roseanne."  Thank ABC and encourage
them to make lesbians and gay men more visible by writing: Christine Hikawa,
Vice President, Broadcast Standards and Practices, ABC, 77 West 66th Street,
New York, NY 10023.

PBS
The corporation for Public Broadcasting's toll-free number 800-356-2626 contin
ues to be flooded with calls (prompted by the American Family Association)
condemning "Tales of the City" and other programs that "promote
homosexuality."  Call today and ask for more lesbian/gay/bisexual
programming.

"Dialogue"
The Cobb Citizens Coalition who's mission is "to promote understanding,
tolerance, and acceptance of all people." and "end discrimination based on
sexual orientation," publishes a regular newsletter, "Dialogue" with valuable
information about things happening in Cobb.  To receive a copy or for more
information call: 404-256-8690; write: Cobb Citizens Coalition, Inc., P.O.
Box 965336, Marietta, GA 30066.

This column is a product of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/Atlanta, Incorporated.  For more information about GLAAD/Atlanta
write PO Box 55111, Atlanta, GA 30308; phone 404-876-1398; fax 404-876-4051;
internet: GLAAD [email-masked]

####