From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 12:54:26 EDT

GLAAD Atlanta 
GLAAD/News
May 18, 1994
by Carl Lange

1

Gay Games Networking
Both CNN and CBS-TV have expressed an interest in covering Gay Games IV in
New York City during the week of June 18, 1994.  Such coverage would be a
first for the Games and a milestone in mainstream media recognition of this
international sporting event.  You can encourage these networks to include
the Gay Games, the results and attendant personality and human interest
profiles by contacting: Jim Walton, Sports Director, CNN, 1 CNN Center,
Atlanta, GA 30348; phone 404-737-3323. Len Deluca CBS-TV Sports, 51 West 52nd
Street, New York 10019; phone 212-975-7986; fax 212-975-7986.

An Apple for Martina
In the June Gay Games issue of "Out" Martina Navratilova is featured in an ad
for Apple Computers.  Apple has been steadfast in its support of human rights
for gays and lesbians despite attacks from the Radical Right.  This is yet
another of probably a first in using the endorsement of a prominent lesbian
for a national advertising campaign.  Encourage Apple by writing Ms. Anne
Winkler, Apple Computer, 20525 Mariani, Mail Stop, 76-4 AD, Cupertino, CA
95074; phone 408-996-1010; fax 408-974-9372.

Bad Hair Day for the AFA
The American Family Association (AFA) continues to target advertisers for
"pro-homosexual" television programs.  On the AFA hit list this month is the
Helene Curtis company, makers of Finesse, Salon Selectives, and Suave hair
care products.  Helene Curtis is identified by the AFA as one of the top
sponsors of the series "Melrose Place."  The AFA describes "Melrose Place" as
"among the leading champions of the homosexual activist agenda."  To counter
the AFA protest, send compliments to Gerald Gidwitz, Chairperson, Helene
Curtis Ind., Inc., 325 N. Wells St., Chicago, IL 60610; phone 312-661-0222,
fax 312-836-0125.

Nestle's Not Sweet on "Northern Exposure"
The Nestle corporation pulled sponsorship of the "gay wedding" episode of
"Northern Exposure" (CBS May 2) . According to Nestle spokesperson Joyce
Wolfe, the company avoids "program content which we consider to be highly
controversial" or not "generally acceptable."  Write: Joyce Wolfe, Director,
Office of Consumer Affairs, Nestle USA, 800 North Brand Blvd., Glendale, CA
91203-1244; phone 818-549-6818.
And let's not forget to encourage CBS and Northern Exposure.  Write: Jeff
Sagansky, President, CBS Entertainment, 7800 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles
90036; phone 213-460-3000; fax 213-651-5900.  Write: Andrew Schneider,
Executive Producer, "Northern Exposure," 3000 Olympic Blvd., Suite #1540,
Santa Monica, CA 90404; phone 310-315-4833; fax 310-315-4831.

This column is a product of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/Atlanta, Incorporated.  For more information about GLAAD/Atlanta
write PO Box 55111, Atlanta, GA 30308; phone 404-876-1398; fax 404-876-4051;
internet: [email-masked]

####