Subject: Murders in Mississippi
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 94 00:21:08 EDT

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release   Contact:  Carl Lange 404-876-1398
October 10, 1994
     
GAY MEN MURDERED IN JONES COUNTY, MISSISSIPPI
ATLANTA CHAPTER OF THE GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION DEMANDS A
FEDERAL INVESTIGATION

Atlanta, Georgia - The Atlanta Chapter of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation (GLAAD/Atlanta) demanded today that the Federal government
investigate the execution style murder of two gay men Saturday night in Jones
County, Mississippi.  The two gay men were found shot in the back of the head
after they had been apparently taken from their vehicle and beaten.  Jones
County is the home of Camp Sister Spirit where anti-gay/lesbian hate crimes
have escalated.

"Jones County and Mississippi officials have shown little concern for  hate
crimes being committed against gay and lesbian citizens.  Since "religious
leaders" in Ovett launched a campaign against Camp Sister Spirit over 64
anti-gay/lesbian hate-crimes have been reported.  Local authorities continue
to ignore these acts as hate crimes," stated Carl Lange, executive director
of GLAAD/Atlanta.  

According to Todd Emmerson of the Buloxi gay and lesbian center, the Laurel
Police Department, Jones County Sheriff's Department and Mississippi Highway
Department, all involved with this case, have refused to acknowledge that
these two men were gay and that this brutal murder was a hate crime. 

"The situation has become critical, gays and lesbians are justifiably fearing
for their lives.  We demand that the Federal government investigate this case
and intervene in this escalating insanity.   How many more bodies must be
found before something is done?" - stated Carl Lange.

Robert Walters, 34 and Joe Shoemaker, 24, two white gay men were last seen
leaving friends on the evening of Saturday October 8.  When friends
discovered they had not arrived at home a search discovered their bodies in a
wooded area off of Houston Road just outside of the town of Laurel, MS.
 According to witnesses who saw the bodies, Walters and Shoemaker had been
taken from their vehicle, beaten and apparently humiliated before their
deaths as one had had his pants pulled below his knees.  Each had been shot
execution style with one bullet in the back of the head.

The Atlanta chapter of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
(GLAAD/Atlanta) is dedicated to providing more fair, accurate and diverse
portrayals of lesbians, bisexuals and gay men.  For more information write
GLAAD/Atlanta, PO Box 55111, Atlanta, GA 30308; phone 404-876-1398; email
[email-masked]
####