Subject: DATES FOR GLAAD MEDIA AWARDS DINNER
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 13:52:39 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Tamra King
(213) 658-6775
Chiqui Cartagena
(212) 807-1700

 DATES FOR 7th ANNUAL MEDIA AWARDS DINNER

Applications for nominations extended until December 1

November 17, 1995, Los Angeles, CA & New York, NY -- The Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) today announced the dates for its 7th
Annual Media Awards. In New York the event is March 7 at the Waldorf Astoria,
and in Los Angeles the event is March 10 at the Century Plaza Hotel.
Nominations for outstanding portrayals of gay and lesbian images in film,
television, radio, print media, music, theater and advertising have been
extended until December 1, 1995.

GLAAD's Annual Media Awards celebrate outstanding portrayals of gay and
lesbian images in all media throughout the year. "1995 has been an
extraordinary year as far as positive portrayals of gays and lesbians in both
television and film are concerned" said Jehan Agrama, Media Awards co-chair.
Agrama pointed to numerous gay characters in television's Fall Prime time
lineup, in addition to several studio releases featuring gay and lesbians
protagonists. "We look forward to recognizing those who've created such
positive images of our community - so save the date!" said Agrama.

This year, the Nominations Committee is reviewing more that 200 films,
television and radio programs, music, theater, print media and advertising to
identify outstanding media. "Five years ago, we were struggling to find just
three or four truly distinguished examples of gay lives in the mainstream
media," said Garrett Hicks, co-chair of the Nominations Committee. "Today,
our lives are being portrayed with more visibility, more diversity and more
honesty than ever before. The 7th Annual Media Awards serve to celebrate
these nobler successes."
 
Both events begin with a cocktail party and Silent Auction followed by Dinner
and Awards Presentations. In Los Angeles there is a private after-party for
VIP ticket holders, the celebrity presenters and 7th Annual Media Award
recipients. 

GLAAD is a national organization that promotes fair, accurate and inclusive
representation of individuals and events in all media as a means of combating
homophobia and all forms of discrimination based on sexual orientation or
identity. 

For information in Los Angeles contact: 
Events Unlimited, Inc. (310) 996-1188
GLAAD Office (213) 658-6775 email: [email-masked]

In New York contact:
GLAAD Office (212) 807-1700