Subject: GLAAD Hires Interim News Media Director
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 12:18:58 -0500

For immediate release   
November 15, 1995   

For information contact:
William Waybourn (202)986-1360

Chiqui Cartagena to serve as GLAAD's Interim News Media Director

New York, NY-  Chiqui Cartagena has been announced as the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation's Interim News Media Director, according to
managing director William Waybourn.  She will be responsible for supervising
the media response from GLAAD's New York office, and assisting field offices
and other organizational development projects.
  "I'm really quite excited about being involved hands-on with GLAAD in this
very important transition period and I'm hoping that my strong news
background and years of activist experience with the People of Color
communities will be helpful in the development of a stronger and
multicultural GLAAD," said Cartagena.  
 Since coming to New York in 1989, Ms. Cartagena has become a well known and
vocal gay activist, having served on the Board of Directors of GLAAD/NY from
1993-1994 and on the Board of Directors of New York's Lesbian & Gay Film
Festival from 1992-1994.  She is also a member of the New York Advertising
and Communications Network, Astraea, the Legacy Foundation and the National
Association of Hispanic Journalists.
 Ms. Cartagena, 34, has more than 10 years of experience both in television
news production and in print journalism.  Most recently she was the Acting
News Director of WNJU, Channel 47, the New York affiliate of the Telemundo
Network and was involved in the launch of El Daily News, New York's first
bilingual newspaper published by The Daily News.  She also co-edited,
pro-bono, the Spanish translation of Women, AIDS & Activism, a book of essays
on empowerment of women with AIDS written by members of ACT UP/New York and
published by South End Press.
 Ms. Cartagena is also known in the independent film community as the
co-producer and director of "Sis: The Perry Watkins Story," a one hour
documentary about the issue of gays in the military.
 Born in North Carolina and raised in Madrid, Spain, Ms. Cartagena came to
the United States in 1982.  She is a Cum Laude graduate from the University
of Miami in Journalism and Latin American Studies and brings with her a
unique and powerful perspective on some of the most critical issues that face
our community and our society today.