Subject: GLAAD Commends Software Manufacturer for Reconsider
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 18:13:21 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:  Loren Javier
(213) 658-6775
e-mail: [email-masked]

GLAAD COMMENDS SOFTWARE MANUFACTURER'S DECISION TO RECONSIDER BLOCKED GAY AND
LESBIAN RESOURCE WEB SITES

NEW YORK, November 16, 1995 -- The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
GLAAD, commends Microsystems Software, Inc., the makers of the blocking
software known as "Cyber Patrol," for its decision to reconsider the blocking
of valuable gay and lesbian resource sites on the World Wide Web.  Initially,
GLAAD was concerned that "Cyber Patrol" was blocking gay and lesbian sites
because they were deemed offensive without knowledge of what was on the
sites.  This happened earlier this year with blocking software known as
SurfWatch, which has also since reconsidered the blocking of gay and lesbian
 resource sites.

"The concern was that incredibly important gay and lesbian resource sites
were being blocked.  If sexual explicitness that was the issue, we were
worried that gay and lesbian sites were being blocked moreso than non-gay
sites.  There was too much inconsistency," stated William Waybourn, GLAAD's
Managing Director, "We are committed to making sure that the community is
treated in a fair and balanced manner."

Richard Gorgens from Microsystems Software, Inc. explained that their
Internet researchers, made up of educators and parents, chose sites blocked
following a criteria of "12 well-defined sections based on their opinion."
 He assured us that gay and lesbian sites would not be considered as part of
that criteria.

"GLAAD encouraged Microsystems Software to adding the gay and lesbian
community to its panel of educators and parents to help them decide which
sites should be blocked," Waybourn said, "and we are pleased that they are
receptive to the idea of including us in this process."  Gorgens suggested
holding regular meetings of educators, parents, clergy as well as members of
the gay and lesbian community to determine what sites are blocked for its
programming.

GLAAD encourages its members to write Microsystems Software, Inc. to thank
them for their decision to reconsider the blocking of gay and lesbian
resource sites.  We also encourage our members to become part of the dialogue
of reviewing what sites are to be blocked.  Write: Microsystems Software,
Inc., 600 Worcester Road, Framington, Massachusetts, 01701, e-mail:
[email-masked] or call (508) 879-9000.  The Cyber Patrol web page is
located at http://www.cyberpatrol.com

Microsystems Software, Inc. also encourages people to seek review of any
currently blocked site by writing [email-masked].

GLAAD is a national organization that promotes fair, accurate and inclusive
representation of individuals and events in the media as a means of
challenging discrimination based on sexual orientation or identity.