Subject: GLAAD/SFBA ALERT: PIVOTAL TEXTBOOK HEARINGS!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:47:59 -0400

URGENT PROJECT 21 ACTION ALERT!

GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION,
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

***   We must ACT NOW  to demand that homophobia is not taught to another
generation of children!!   ***

ISSUE:  

Fair and Factual Inclusion of Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual Information In Textbooks
Used In Our Public Schools.

BACKGROUND:

California is preparing NOW to adopt new health textbooks for use in the
state's public schools, grades K-12.  These decisions SHOULD be made
according to guidelines detailed in the "Health Framework for California
Public Schools."  For the first time EVER, this "Framework" requires that
instruction regarding sexual orientation "should affirm the dignity of all
individuals."

It is still UNLIKELY that state policy makers will follow the "Framework's"
mandate.  Sadly, California could continue to purchase textbooks that censor
or distort lesbian, gay and bisexual lives.

The new health textbooks adopted in California will probably be in use for 5
to 10 years.  Because California purchases a major share of all textbooks
published, the books used in this state often determine what books are
available for use by ALL OTHER STATES.

On July 26 and 27, the California Curriculum Development & Supplemental
Materials Commission (CCDSMC) will hold hearings on the health textbooks
proposed for adoption.  The CCDSMC will recommend specific textbooks to the
State Board of Education for adoption.  This is the LAST CHANCE the public
will have to inform and influence the CCDSMC's decisions.

It is vital that EVERYONE -- EVERYWHERE -- take action and DEMAND THAT
TEXTBOOKS USED IN OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS INCLUDE FAIR AND FACTUAL INFORMATION
about lesbian, gay and bisexual subjects.

PLEASE take as many of the following actions as you can!

ACTION ITEMS:

1.  Write to the CCDSMC and ask that your comments be made a part of the
record for the July 26 hearings.  Write to:  Geno Flores, Chair, and All
Members, California Curriculum Development & Supplemental Materials
Commission, P.O. Box 944272, Sacramento, CA 94244-2720, tel. 916-657-5436.

2.  If you can attend the hearings, sign up to testify.  The hearings take
place Wednesday, July 26 and Thursday, July 27.  Public comment periods on
Health Instructional Resources will be held both days at 10:00 AM in Room
166, Education Building, 721 Capitol Mall in Sacramento.  To sign up to speak
(for two minutes), call 916-657-5436.  Your request must be made by Noon,
July 21 (to speak on July 26) or by Noon, July 24 (to speak on July 27).

3.  Urge the Superintendent of Public Instruction, Delaine Eastin, to seize
this opportunity and speak out -- publicly and forcefully -- in support of
fair and accurate treatment of lesbian, gay and bisexual issues in public
school textbooks.  Contact:  Delaine Eastin, Superintendent of Public
Instruction, 721 Capitol Mall, P.O. Box 944272, Sacramento, CA 94244-2720.

4.  In September, the State Board of Education will cast a final vote based
on the CCDSMC recommendations.  Remind the Board members to vote for facts,
not fears.  Write to:  Marion McDowell, President and All Members, State
Board of Education, 721 Capitol Mall, P.O. Box 944272, Sacramento, CA
94244-2720.

5.  For a list of the health textbooks being considered, or for additional
information, contact Al Kielwasser or Bonnie Haley, GLAAD/Project 21, Suite
200, 1360 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244, fax
415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked].

ABOUT GLAAD AND PROJECT 21:

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a
volunteer-based community organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD's "Project 21" was initiated in 1990 to ensure that
fair and accurate information about sexual orientation is included in the
textbooks used in our public schools.  Project 21's work is funded in part by
a grant from The Columbia Foundation.