Subject: Phobic Education Hearings (PRESS RELEASE)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 15:17:38 -0500

News From       
THE GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION/SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA and
PROJECT 21

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  December 5, 1995
CONTACT:  Kristy Billuni, 415-861-3021
                 Bonnie Haley, Al Kielwasser 415-861-2244

CONGRESS BEGINS C0NTROVERSIAL HEARINGS ON "PROMOTION OF HOMOSEXUALITY IN
SCHOOLS"
Press Encouraged to Expose Biased Media Event,  Actually Intended to Promote
Homophobia 

SAN FRANCISCO  and WASHINGTON, DC  [ Tuesday, Dec. 5 ]  --  Congressional
hearings are expected to begin today and continue tomorrow on the subject of
"Parents, Schools and Values."  These hearings have been orchestrated by
House Speaker Newt Gingrich and the Traditional Values Coalition, a
California-based group led by the Rev. Lou Sheldon and dedicated to the
promotion of homophobia.  The hearings are expected to provide a blatantly
biased, national platform for unfounded allegations of homosexual
"recruitment" and "promotion" in the public schools.

Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.), Chair of the Oversight and Investigations
Subcommittee of the House Economic and Educational Opportunities Committee,
is expected to oversee the proceedings.  The malicious motive of these
hearings has prompted broad condemnation from organizations across the
nation.

"The goal of these hearings is both ironic and hateful," said Al Kielwasser,
spokesperson for the San Francisco Bay Area chapter of GLAAD, the Gay &
Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.  "As a forum for homophobia, these
proceedings are likely to spread the sort of misinformation and paranoia that
education is actually supposed to combat."

According to GLAAD, the Traditional Values Coalition has a well-established
record of promoting intolerance through false and misleading public
testimony.  GLAAD points out that these hearings will, in fact, provide an
ideal opportunity for the press to perform its historic watchdog function and
scrutinize the claims made by the Traditional Values Coalition and similar
organizations.  

"The twisted logic that will be showcased at these hearings simply has no
basis in fact," Kielwasser said.  "What Lou Sheldon really fears isn't
homosexuality, but the TRUTH about homosexuality." 

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD promotes the
fair, accurate and diverse media treatment of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgender communities.  GLAAD/San Francisco also coordinates Project 21, a
national educational equity coalition, dedicated to lesbian, gay, bisexual
and transgender curriculum advocacy.

--  30 --

ADDITIONAL  CONTACTS:

**  Kevin Jennings, Executive Director, The Gay, Lesbian and Straight
Teacgers Network, (212) 727-0135

**  National Advocacy Coalition on Youth and Sexual Orientation, (202)
783-4165, x49; NACYSO hotline number for updates on the hearings, (202)
736-1719

**  Representative Peter Hoekstra, (202) 225-4401

**  Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, (202) 638-4200

**  National Education Association, Gay and Lesbian Caucus, (717) 848-3354

________________________________________________________GLAAD, 1360 Mission
Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, California 94103
Administration Line 415-861-2244    Facsimile 415-861-4893    E-Mail
[email-masked]