Subject: Media / BRIEFS (Apr. 14)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:22:29 -0400

------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX: "Media/BRIEFS - April 14"

Item 1: "High (School) Standards" [Ukiahilite; Ukiah High School]
Item 2: "Paying the Price" [AFA; McDonald's; Procter & Gamble].
Item 3:  "More Dis-Association" [AFA; National Public Radio; House of
Representatives].
Item 4: "No Thanks to the Academy" [Rolling Stone; Braveheart; Mel Gibson;
Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences]. 
Item 5: "Web Watch" [ACT UP New York; NC-GALA; Oasis; Footage.net].
Item 6: "READING AND RIGHTING:  LFF vs. FFL" [Library Advocacy Power Tools;
Libraries for the Future; Family Friendly Libraries].
Item 7: "Good News(Letter)" [Gender & Communication;
Item 8: "Radio Activism" [CounterSpin; Alternative Radio; This Way Out;
making Contact; Victory!].
Item 9: "Misery" [Ms. Magazine; Ms. Behavior; Lang Communications; Meryl
Cohn].
Item 10: "Divided Attention" [Pansy Division; MTV].
Item 11: Sound & (Un)Sound Bites [Hank B.; Michael Kilian].

General Information [about GLAAD; about Media/BRIEFS].
------------------------------------------------------------------------

  M   e   d   i   a   /   B  R  I  E  F  S
  _____________________________________

  April 1- 14, 1996

  Al Kielwasser 
  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
  San Francisco Bay Area 

[1]    HIGH (SCHOOL) STANDARDS

Competently covering the "gay beat" is a rarity at some major dailies.  For
high school newspapers, the effort is even more exceptional -- and worthy of
encouragement.

Such an effort can be found in the March 7 issue of the "Ukiahilite," a bi-
(sometimes tri-) weekly newspaper published by "the Ukiah High School
journalism staff and other interested persons."  This edition features a
"Point/Counterpoint" page, which debates a proposal by the school's
Gay/Straight Alliance encouraging teachers to hang rainbow triangles in their
rooms "to symbolize the safety of these classrooms for gay or bisexual
students."

The "pro" point is an eloquent manifesto, by any standard.  The argument
comprehends a need to affirm not only students who are out, but those who are
still closeted; visible signs of support in the classroom reach every
student.  The article states:  "To some, the triangles may seem meaningless,
but to others they may mean everything . . . .  seeing this triangle each day
may give them hope . . . ."

The "pro" side also notes that this "small token of awareness" would benefit
every student; the triangles would "help straight people end their ideas of
'them' and 'us.'"  Finally, the "point" concludes:  "Years of holding back
and misunderstanding requires society to take a step toward acceptance.  The
triangles are only a symbol of that understanding.  They are to be a
beginning, or rather, society's first small step toward an understanding.  In
the end, the triangle showing diversity may really show us that we all share
the common thread of humanity."

The "con" -- or counterpoint -- is expectedly less-satisfying.
 Significantly, though, the argument is not especially homophobic.  The
student writer advances a position that is at least more reasonable -- and
much less hateful -- then the reactionary rhetoric typical of older (but not
wiser) PTA bigots and school board fundies.  

The counterpoint opens with an immediate observation:  "There is no question
today that people of minority status should have the right to feel accepted
and safe from ridicule.  Young people especially need to feel secure, and
content with who and what they are."  The writer argues, instead, that the
triangles could be construed as political expression.  If all groups were
allowed such expression, classrooms could become little more than cluttered,
"free-speech" bulletin boards ("Not that our public schools are any kind of
paragon for learning, but they are public . . . ," the counterpoint quips).

At the "Ukiahilite's" press time, school officials had not yet resolved the
triangle issue.  If administrators follow their students' lead, however, that
decision could be something extraordinary -- INFORMED.

+++    To support the newspaper's effort -- and the "pro-triangle" point --
send comments to Steven P. Ford, Editor-in-Chief, "Ukiahilite," Ukiah High,
1000 Low Gap Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482, tel. 707-463-5253, fax 707-463-4859,
e-mail [email-masked]; copy your correspondence to the Office of
the Superintendent, Ukiah Unified School District, 925 N. State Street,
Ukiah, CA 95482, tel. 707-463-5211, fax 707-463-2120.

[2]    PAYING THE PRICE

The American Family Association (a nationwide heterosexual supremacist group)
has released the results of its latest survey of "top homosexual agenda
promoters on TV."  Between April 1, 1995 and January 31, 1996, the AFA
monitored commercials aired during "pro-homosexual" TV programs.  Companies
were then scored and ranked according to how many "advertising units"
(30-second commercials) they purchased during such shows.

According to the AFA, Procter & Gamble and McDonald's are "the top two
promoters of the homosexual agenda on prime-time television."  With 83 units,
Procter & Gamble maintained the #1 spot it held in a previous survey; the
McDonald's Corporation (50 units) jumped from 8th to 2nd place.  

"These advertisers have continued their promotion of the homosexual lifestyle
over an extended period of time and obviously feel it is appropriate," said
AFA president Donald Wildmon.  "What we are seeing is an intentional attempt
to shape attitudes in our society so that the homosexual lifestyle will be
accepted as normal."

Notably, the AFA "data" do not report overall variance in company advertising
expenditures.  It's possible, for example, that a "pro-homosexual" company
simply increased its ad spending across the board.  In any case, if AFA
"methodology" accounted for TOTAL units of advertising, the results would
demonstrate that companies like McDonald's are also top sponsors of the
HETEROSEXUAL agenda.

The AFA's (literally) gross results also fail to distinguish amongst
"offending" programs.  Whether a series includes a gay character, or merely
makes reference to one, it still "promotes the homosexual agenda."

Flaws in research design are not likely to deter AFA members, however.  They
have been instructed to flood the "top sponsors" with threatening calls and
letters.  Unless a company promises to stop buying time during
"pro-homosexual" shows, AFA members promise to stop buying the company's
goods.

In addition to McDonald's and Procter & Gamble, ten other companies are
included on the AFA's new hit list.  Ranked by "total units," they are:
 Warner-Lambert (47.5), Johnson & Johnson (40.5), PepsiCo (35.5), General
Motors (34), Time, Inc. (34), Unilever (34), Grand Met (33) and Walt Disney
(29).

+++    Contact:  John E. Pepper, Chair, The Procter & Gamble Company, P.O.
Box 599, Cincinnati, OH 45201, tel. 513-983-1100 or 800-435-9254, fax
513-945-9155; Michael R. Quinlan, Chair, McDonald's Corporation, 1 Kroc Dr.,
Oak Brook, IL 60521, tel. 708-575-3000, fax 708-575-6942; Melvin R. Goodes,
Chair, Warner-Lambert Company, 201 Tabor Road, Morris Plains, NJ 07950, tel.
201-540-2000 or 800-223-0182, fax 201-540-3761; Ralph S. Larsen, Chair,
Johnson & Johnson, One Johnson & Johnson plaza, New Brunswick, NJ 08933, tel.
908-524-0400 or 800-635-6789, fax 908-214-0332; Wayne Calloway, Chair,
PepsiCo, 700 Anderson Hill Road, Purchase, NY 10577, tel. 914-253-2000, fax
914-253-2070; John F. Smith, Chair, General Motors Corporation, 3044 W. Grand
Blvd., Detroit, MI 48202, tel. 313-556-5000; Gerald Levin, Chair, Time Warner
inc., 75 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10019, tel. 212-484-8000, fax
212-275-3970; Richard A. Goldstein, President, Unilever United States Inc.,
390 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10022, tel. 212-888-1260 or 800-598-1223, fax
212-906-4411; George Bull, Chair, Grand Metropolitan, Inc., 200 S. 6th
Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402, tel. 612-330-4966; Michael Eisner, Chair, The
Walt Disney Company, 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521, tel.
818-560-1000, fax 818-560-1930.

"Open Market" maintains a "Commercial Sites Index" of companies accessible
via the World Wide Web (URL http://www.openmarket.com/); CommerceNet provides
links to the homepages of most major companies (URL http://www.commerce.net).

[3]    MORE DIS-ASSOCIATION

The American Family Association has also launched a new postcard campaign,
targeting National Public Radio (NPR).  In a recent mass mailing, the AFA
condemns NPR's broadcast of a commentary by author Andrei Codrescu, in which
he challenged the rationality of fundamentalist belief systems.

The AFA "Action! Page" states:  "We must let [NPR president Delano Lewis]
know we hold him PERSONALLY ACCOUNTABLE for the anti-Christian bigotry which
he allows to be broadcast over NPR.  If Mr. Lewis fails to meet our demands
to FIRE Codrescu and BAR him from further work with NPR, then this will prove
that NPR finds Mr. Codrescu's anti-Christian bigotry totally acceptable."

Pre-printed AFA postcards conveniently target Lewis, as well as the sender's
Congressional representative.  The message states, in part:  "I do not want
my tax dollars funding anti-Christian bigotry on NPR.  Why does Congress
continue to provide millions of tax dollars to support this kind of bigotry?"

+++    Contact:  Delano Lewis, President, National Public Radio, 635
Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20001-3753, tel. 202-414-2000, URL
http://www.butterfly.net/NPR/; U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, DC
20515, tel. 202-224-3121, URL http://www.house.gov/.  To request a list of
e-mail addresses for on-line House members and committees, contact:
 [email-masked] (e-mail) or GOPHER.HOUSE.GOV (gopher server).

[4]    NO THANKS TO THE ACADEMY

"Oscar, you pig, you Bob Dole toady, you gutless, fool's gold embodiment of
what Pat Buchanan gallingly calls 'conservatism of the heart,' you've really
done it this time."  So begins Peter Travers' biting critique of this year's
Academy Awards, deftly written for "Rolling Stone" magazine ("Oscar '96:
 Soo-ey!," April 4).

Travers debunks Academy prejudice, which has pandered to conservative
politics at the expense of women, youth, people of color, and gays.  He
provides several examples of outstanding films and performances that, thanks
to "Oscar's anti-gay bias," have been ignored by the Academy.  Travers notes:
 "It's a bitter irony that the only film nominated for Best Picture to
feature gay characters -- Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart' -- depicts an incident of
gay bashing.  Gibson ... grossly stages the scene for laughs ...."

In fact, "Braveheart" received more nominations (10) than any of this year's
entries; both Gibson and his film were given the Academy's highest honors.
 "Braveheart" has also been praised by such arch-homophobes as Robert Dornan
and Pat Buchanan.

Ironically, the stated purposes of the Academy are:  "To advance the arts and
sciences of motion pictures and to foster cooperation among the creative
leadership of the motion picture industry for cultural, educational and
technological progress" (Article 11, "Bylaws of the Academy of Motion Picture
Arts and Sciences")

+++    Contact:  Sid Holt, Managing Editor, "Rolling Stone," 1290 Ave. of the
Americas, New York, NY 10104-0298, tel. 212-484-1616, fax 212-767-8214,
e-mail [email-masked];  Arthur Hiller, President, Academy of Motion
Picture Arts and Sciences, 8949 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90211-1972,
tel. 310-247-3000, e-mail [email-masked], URL http://www.oscars.org/ampas/.

[5]    WEB WATCH . . . 

 * ACT UP New York has announced "it's entry to the Web," with a site that
features ACT UP history, current action alerts, and links to other chapters
in the U.S. and Paris (http://www.actupny.org).

 * North Carolina Gay & Lesbian Attorneys (NC-GALA) have put the full text of
their "Legal Guide" on the Web, "for use by gays and lesbians who have
general questions on legal matters" (http://members.aol.com/ncgala/).

 * The April issue of "Oasis" -- "the Internet's only monthly resource for
queer and questioning youth" -- features a cover story on Tyson Meade (lead
singer of the Chainsaw Kittens) and a profile of Kelli Peterson (high school
senior and founder of the student "Gay-Straight Alliance" banned in Salt Lake
City); the issue also provides a wide range of youth commentary, on
everything from gay proms to coming out in cyberspace
(http://www.outproud.org/oasis/).

 * Footage.net is a video and transcription archive of TV/radio news
broadcasts, from the early 1900s to the present (http://www.footage.net).

[6]    READING AND RIGHTING:  LFF vs. FFL

 *  "Library Advocacy Power Tools" is a booklet for grassroots citizen
advocates, published by Libraries for the Future.  LFF also produces a
quarterly "Update" and regular "Action Alerts."  Contact:  Libraries for the
Future, 521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1612, New York, NY 10175-1699, tel.
212-682-7446.  Additional information and resources are available from the
American Library Association's Gay/Lesbian Task Force (e-mail
[email-masked]) and the National Coalition Against Censorship
(275 7th Ave., New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-807-NCAC, fax 212-807-6245,
e-mail [email-masked]).

 *  Library advocacy requires constant vigilance, as there is no shortage of
effort to keep queer books OFF the shelves.  Titles intended for young
readers, such as "Heather Has Two Mommies" or "Athletic Shorts," are
especially vulnerable.  Among  the organizations leading the drive to ban
books and promote homophobia is Family Friendly Libraries.  Self-described as
"a national network of parents, citizens and librarians who share a concern
about public and school libraries," the FFL's only goal is selfish
censorship.  Contact:  Family Friendly Libraries, c/o Karen Jo Gounaud,
Co-Founder, 7597 Whisperwood Court, Springfield, VA 22153, tel. 703-440-9419.

[7]    NEWSLETTER NEWS

A "Gender and Communication Newsletter," distributed periodically by a
section of the International Association of Mass Communication Research
(IAMCR), provides global announcements and research summaries involving
women/gender and the media.  Contact:  Liesbet van Zoonen, Dept. of
Communication, University of Amsterdam, Oude Hoogstraat 241012 CE Amsterdam,
Netherlands, e-mail [email-masked]; Linda Billings, c/o USRA, 300
D. Street SW, # 801, Washington, DC 20024, fax 202-479-2613, e-mail
[email-masked].

[8]    RADIO ACTIVISM

How's your local air quality?  If it could stand some improvement, then start
making waves!  Recommend progressive radio to the local broadcasters in your
area; encourage program directors to pick up these alternative programs if
they are not currently aired in your market:

 *  "CounterSpin" is a production of Fairness & Accuracy in reporting (FAIR),
a national media watch group with a well-established record of challenging
bias and promoting pluralism.  Hosted by Laura Flanders and Janine Jackson,
this radio series offers a weekly, half-hour dose of "hard-hitting media
criticism."  Refer interested station managers to:  Sam Husseini, FAIR, 130
West 25th Street, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-633-6700, fax 212-727-7668,
URL http://www.fair.org/fair/. 

 *  "Alternative Radio" is a progressive interview/commentary series;
previous programs have featured such social critics as Noam Chomsky, Barbara
Ehrenreich, and Ben Bagdikian.  The program is free to stations wishing to
carry it.  For a tape catalog and additional information, contact:  David
Barsamian, "Alternative Radio," 2129 Mapleton, Boulder, CO 80304, tel.
800-444-1977.

 *  "Making Contact" is a nationwide, progressive radio program designed to
"give listeners information they need to take action."  Past programs have
addressed hate radio, the "religious right," and homophobia in America; the
series is available free to all public radio stations.  Get more information
or a catalog of taped programs from:  "Making Contact," National Radio
Project, 830 Los Trancos Road, Portola Valley, CA 94028, tel. 415-851-7256,
fax 415-851-0731, e-mail [email-masked].

 *  "This Way Out" is a weekly, news-magazine series, described as "the only
surviving nationally distributed gay radio program in the country."  A
project of Overnight Productions, "This Way Out" can indeed what radio does
so well -- reach "way out."  The program recently received a letter from a
17-year-old gay listener in "a tiny Midwest town," , who wrote:  "I get
teased a lot at high school.  Two weeks ago I was beaten by a bunch of
rednecks yelling, 'die you fucking faggot, die,' and other vile remarks.  But
I am alive . . . .  At first I thought I was alone . . . .  Now I tune into
KOPN 89.5 FM and I hear news that affects me.  It's like finding an oasis in
the middle of the desert . . . .  The only things for gays here are the
highway to leave this hellhole and 'This Way Out.'"  Contact:  "This Way
Out," POB 38327, Los Angeles, CA 90038, tel. 213-874-0874, e-mail
[email-masked].

"This Way Out" is among the interesting ventures profiled in a special "Gays
in Radio" issue of "Victory!" magazine (January/February 1996), an otherwise
dry publication that cheers "the success of gay & lesbian entrepreneurs."
 Contact:  "Victory!," ISG Publications, 2261 Market Street, Suite 296, San
Francisco, CA 94114, fax 510-215-0812, e-mail [email-masked].

[ 9]    MISERY

In February, Lang Communications -- the owners of "Ms." magazine -- filed a
lawsuit against lesbian writer Meryl Cohn.  The company also owns the term
"Ms.," and sought to prevent Cohn from using a satirical pen name -- "Ms.
Behavior" -- which she adopted several years ago.

"'Ms.' magazine is making a mistake," says Ellen Hobbs, a columnist for the
"Texas Triangle" newspaper.  According to Hobbs:  "The rift between lesbians
and the feminist movement is growing . . . .  'Ms.' magazine's complaint
against a lesbian writer for trying to use a courtesy title in her trademark
name certainly won't help close that gap.  'Ms.' magazine is recognized as
one of the most important and influential platforms for communication in the
feminist movement -- and what it seems to be communicating is sour grapes
toward a lesbian who has attained a small degree of success."

+++   Contact:  "Ms." Magazine, 230 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10169, tel
212-551-9595,  e-mail [email-masked].

[10]    DIVIDED ATTENTION

MTV has a better record than most when it comes to diversity and inclusion.
 It's not surprising -- but still significant -- that the network has aired
"I Really Wanted You," a new release from the all-queer band Pansy Division.
 The video was featured recently on MTV's "120 Minutes" (March 24).

"I Really Wanted You" is a cut from Pansy Division's new (and fourth) CD,
"Wish I'd Taken Pictures" [Lookout Records].  The boys in this band -- Jon
Ginoli, Chris Freeman and Dustin Donaldson -- are currently on tour,
performing everywhere from Salt Lake City to Kalamazoo.  

+++    Encourage MTV to place Pansy Division and other queer artists into
heavy rotation; recommend the same to your local radio stations.  Contact:
 MTV Networks, 1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036.  Requests for "I Really
Wanted You" can also be recorded on MTV's automated viewer service line, tel.
212-258-8700 (press "1" first; then "5").

[11]

S O U N D   B I T E   .  .  .  

*   "Now all those Mel Gibson fans -- you know, the same ones who made Jim
Carrey a $20 million man -- can be heard in the aisles screeching 'I saw
Braveheart and just knew it was good.'  Wrong.  Oscar does not validate
anything . . . .  Shame on you Academy voters, you right-wing,
child-molesting, Gump-loving pricks."

  --  Hank B., film critic, in "Spank" magazine [1996, Vol. 3, Issue 8]

( U N ) S O U N D   B I T E   .  .  .  

*   "[ Braveheart ] is an actual, authentic and truly true story . . . .
 Come on, GLAAD -- your nattering is just Mel-bashing.  You're peeved with
him because he once told a macho Spanish magazine that he doesn't care for
alternative sexual orientation."

  --  Michael Kilian, reviewer, in the "Chicago Tribune" [June 4, 1995].
 Kilian also gurgled:  "An East Coast critic, far more gifted than I,
recently observed that 'the Love that dare not speak its name' has become the
love that won't shut up.  The critic was offering this observation in
complaint of what he considered a plethora of alternative-sexual-orientation
themes in New York theater."

_______________________________________________

A B O U T   G L A A D  . . . .    

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.  

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  The San Francisco chapter of GLAAD is
the largest and oldest in the nation.

To report any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, call the 24-hour
"MediAlert Hotline" (415-861-4588), or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

________________________________________________

A B O U T   M E D I A / B R I E F S . . . .    

"Media/BRIEFS" is an action and resource-oriented column, produced biweekly
and distributed on request.  This material may be printed, published or
posted, under these or any titles, in whole or part, without prior
permission.  When appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al Kielwasser"
and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  

________________________________________________

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P . . . .   

GLAAD/SFBA's work is directly supported by chapter members; to request a
membership brochure or further information about GLAAD projects and programs,
please contact:  Kristy Billuni, Managing Director, GLAAD San Francisco, tel.
415-861-3021, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

For membership information in any of the following cities, direct requests to
these GLAAD Chapter Offices:  Atlanta (tel. 404-876-1398, fax 404-876-4051),
Chicago (tel. 312-871-7633, fax 312-685-8064), Dallas (tel. 214-521-5342 ext.
816, fax 214-247-5803), Kansas City (tel. 816-374-5927, fax 816-561-7604),
Washington, DC (tel. 202-429-9500, fax 202-857-0077), San Diego (tel.
619-688-0094, fax 619-294-4814).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The views expressed by GLAAD/SFBA do not necessarily represent the opinions
of other GLAAD chapters.  "Media/BRIEFS" [TM] and "MediAlert" [TM] are
trademarks of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay
Area, a nonprofit [501(c)(3)] organization.