Subject: CDC RELEASES FIRST-EVER GAY PSA FOR TV
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 19:23:28 -0500

NEWS from
THE GAY AND LESBIAN ALLAINCE AGAINST DEFAMATION

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    November 29, 1995
CONTACTS:  Al Kielwasser, 415-826-2244
Kristy Billuni, 415-861-3021

U.S. CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL RELEASES FIRST-EVER PUBLIC SRVICE
ANNOUNCEMENT TO FEATURE GAYS
GLAAD Commends New Campaign, Lambastes TV Network's  Hesitation

SAN FRANCISCO  [ Thursday, Nov. 30 ]  --  On the eve of World AIDS Day
[December 1], the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has
released a new series of broadcast public service announcements, one of which
is specifically directed at young gay men.  This the first gay TV spot ever
produced by the CDC, and the campaign is expected to rankle homophobes across
the nation, including the conservative forces now controlling Congress.

"This new campaign is welcome and long-overdue," said Al Kielwasser,
spokesperson for the San Francisco chapter of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation (GLAAD).  "For too long, government and health
establishments have refused to use television to speak directly and
affirmatively to gays, even while HIV has ravaged gay teenagers," Kielwasser
said.  "To successfully combat AIDS, we must also combat homophobia." 

The new CDC television spot was adapted from a prime-time television special,
"Smart Sex," which aired nationally last year.  In addition to the gay spot,
the CDC has created 13 other PSAs also adapted from the "Smart Sex" program.

To date, both the Fox and ABC television networks have agreed to run PSAs
from the new CDC campaign, though neither network has yet committed to
running the gay spot.  Reportedly, CBS is reluctant to brodcast the gay men's
PSA.  

"It's vital that the gay-specific message is broadcast by every major
network," said Kielwasser, "and GLAAD is committed to ensuring that America's
broadcasters do the right thing.  It is inexcusable and inhumane for any
broadcaster to sacrifice the lives of our youth simply to appease public
bigotry."

A special report recently released by the Public Media Center ["The Impact of
Homophobia and Other Social Biases on AIDS"] documents the mass media's
failed response to the AIDS epidemic, particularly where gays are concerned.
 The new report concludes that "until the issue of homophobia is properly and
adequately addressed in America, our nation is unlikely to generate an
objective, focused response to the epidemic of HIV/AIDS."  

Estimates suggest that more than one million Americans -- one out of every
250 -- may be diagnosed with AIDS by the year 2000.  Currently, one out of
every 93 American men, aged 27-39, is living with HIV.  Many of these men
became infected as teenagers.

GLAAD/San Francisco has joined with the San Francisco AIDS Foundation in
urging the public to call the CDC [1-800-447-4784] and voice support for the
new gay spot, and to encourage television networks and local broadcasters to
air the message prominently and regularly.

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is dedicated to
media activism and cultural advocacy.  GLAAD promotes fair, accurate and
diverse media treatment of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
communities.  GLAAD/San Francisco is the largest lesbian and gay membership
organization in California, and the oldest and largest GLAAD chapter in the
nation.

--------------------------------------------------------

Additional contacts:

**  National AIDS Information & Education Program of the CDC, tel. (800)
447-4784.

**  San Francisco AIDS Foundation, tel. (415) 864-5855.

**  Public Media Center, tel. (415) 434-1403.

**  CBS, Rolanda Lira, Community Affairs Dept., 7800 Beverly Blvd., Los
Angeles, CA 90036, tel. (213) 852-2345.

**  Fox Broadcasting, tel. (212) 556-2400.

**  ABC, Teresa Samaniego, Director of Public Affairs, 4151 Prospect Ave.,
Los Angeles, CA 90027, tel. (310) 557-4720, fax (310) 557-5975.

**  NBC, Viewer Services, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112, tel.
(212) 664-3370.

GLAAD, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, California 94103
Administration Line 415-861-2244    Facsimile 415-861-4893    E-Mail
[email-masked]