Subject: ROSEANNE/ABC's GAY DELAY (Press Release)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 15:07:20 -0500

N  E  W  S    from
THE GAY AND LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  December 12, 1995
CONTACTS:  Al Kielwasser, Laurie Falik, 415-861-2244
                    Kristy Billuni, Managing Director, 415-861-3021

_________________________________________________________________

GLAAD CONDEMNS ABC TELEVISION'S ATTEMPT TO MARGINALIZE GAY IMAGES

"Scheduling of Controversial "Roseanne" Episode Reveals Double-Standard,
Disdain for Youth Audience"
_________________________________________________________________

SAN FRANCISCO --  The ABC Television Network has rescheduled this evening's
broadcast of "Roseanne," airing the episode at 9:30 PM instead of 8:00 PM,
the show's regular time slot.  The episode -- entitled "December Bride" --
will feature the wedding of recurring gay character "Leon" (Martin Mull) and
his lover "Scott" (Fred Willard).  

"We felt the adult humor within the show was more appropriate at a later time
period when there are fewer children in the audience," said ABC spokesperson
Janice Gretenmeyer.  Gretenmeyer estimates that less than 10% of viewers for
the 9:30 PM period are children under 11 years old.

The San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation (GLAAD/SFBA), condemns ABC's biased decision.  "ABC's
action appears indefensible," said GLAAD spokesperson Al Kielwasser,
"especially since the network has no problem with broadcasting images of
heterosexual  romance at 8:00 PM."  

"ABC is capitulating to the stalest of homophobic notions," Kielwasser said,
"reinforcing the fear that, somehow, gays are a threat to children."

According to GLAAD/SFBA, the decision to delay tonight's episode of
"Roseanne" is likely a disservice to young viewers and their families.
 "Keeping homosexuality hidden from children only perpetuates the homophobia
that already pervades their lives," said Laurie Falik of GLAAD/SFBA.

The suggestion that homosexuality is an essentially "adult" subject is at
odds with current research, which suggests that lesbian and gay children are
quite aware of their sexual orientation by early adolescence.  Moreoever,
many of these children experience unusual levels of stigma, harassment and
violence.  If only by ignoring or hiding the issue, prime-time television has
reinforced the stereotypes and cultural attitudes that support childhood
homophobia  [see "Additional Background," below].

"Roseanne's" title character has also criticized ABC's action.  The actress
stated that ABC's decision is groundless, since she has tailored all of her
scripts to suit the show's family-hour time slot.  According to Roseanne,
ABC's unfortunate move will result in a net loss of audience for an episode
that she feels is particularly important.

Significantly, ABC's decision comes amidst increasing efforts to restrict
youth access to positive role models and accurate information about
homosexuality.  The National Coalition Against Censorship reports that
"censorship demands based on charges about 'promoting the homosexual agenda'
have increased enormously in every section of the country."

"The sequestration of children from homosexuality is just raw abuse," said
Kielwasser.  "Unfortunately, in this area, the decision-makers at major TV
networks have yet to learn the difference between protection and
persecution."

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a nonprofit
media advocacy organization, dedicated to promoting the fair, accurate and
diverse media treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender subjects.
 GLAAD/SFBA is the largest and oldest GLAAD chapter in the nation.

                                                           #     #     #    

_________________________________________________________________

ADDITIONAL CONTACTS

ABC Entertainment, 2040 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067, tel.
310-557-7777, e-mail [email-masked].

_________________________________________________________________

ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND

In Real Life, Homosexuality is NOT Limited to "Adult Audiences."    Current
research indicates that many children are well aware of their lesbian or gay
orientation by early adolescence or younger (Savin-Williams, 1990).  

On prime-time television, however, homosexuality is  typically limited to
"adult audiences."  Currently, no popular television network (ABC, CBS, NBC,
FOX) has expressed an explicit interest in providing fair or accurate images
of homosexuality to young viewers.  In fact, the mainstream networks have
actively promoted childhood homophobia (Kielwasser & Wolf, 1992, 1993/1994).

In Real Life, Homophobia is also NOT Limited to "Adult Audiences."    Several
researchers have reported that homophobia is virulent in the lives of
children.  In one study, "teenagers surveyed about their biases against a
variety of minorities reacted more negatively to gay people than to any other
group" (Herek & Berrill, 1992).  Other reports concur that lesbians and gay
men "are perceived as legitimate targets that can be openly attacked"
(Governor's Task Force, 1988).  Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth
are at particular risk for lowered self-esteem, self-injury, forced
homelessness, harassment and physical violence (American Psychological
Association, 1993; Savin-Williams, 1990).

According to statistics reported by Community United Against Violence (CUAV),
50% of gay bashers are youths under the age of 21.  A recent study of
juvenile offenders found that a majority "had engaged or had the distinct
potential to engage in anti-gay or anti-lesbian victimization and violence."
 The researcher concluded:  "Most of the defensive positions adopted by the
young offenders were girded by mythology and popular stereotypical belief
systems. . . .  Any teaching strategies for dealing effectively with
homophobia should address and seek to counter such myths, stereotypes, and
victimization" (Van de Ven, 1995).  Of course, ABC's decision does little to
counter such myths; in fact, it will likely have the opposite effect.

_________________________________________________________________

REFERENCES & RESOURCES

American Psychological Association.  (1993, February 28).  "Resolution on
lesbian, gay and bisexual youths in the schools."  APA, 750 1st Street, NE,
Washington, DC 20002-4242, tel. 202-336-6041.

Community United Against Violence, 973 Market street, Suite 500, San
Francisco, CA 94103.

Governor's Task Force on Bias-Related Violence.  (1988).  Final Report.  New
York:  Division on Human Rights.

Herek, G. M. & Berrill, K. T.  (Eds.).  (1992).  Hate Crimes:  Confronting
Violence Against Lesbians and Gay Men.  Newbury Park:  Sage Publications.

Kielwasser, A. P. & Wolf, M. A.  (1993/1994).  "Silence, difference, and
annihilation:  Understanding the impact of mediated heterosexism on high
school students."  The High School Journal, vol. 77, nos. 1 & 2.

Kielwasser, A. P. & Wolf, M. A.  (1992).  "Mainstream television, adolescent
homosexuality, and significant silence."  Critical Studies in Mass
Communication, vol. 9, no. 4

National Coalition Against Censorship, 275 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY
10001, tel. 212-807-6222, fax 212-807-6245, e-mail [email-masked].

Savin-Williams, R. C.  (1990).  Gay and Lesbian Youth:  Expressions of
Identity.  New York:  Hemisphere Publishing.

Van de Ven, P.  (1995).  "Talking with juvenile offenders about gay males and
lesbians:  Implications for combating homophobia."  Adolescence, vol. 30, no.
17.

_________________________________________________________________

GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, California 94103
Administration Line 415-861-2244    Facsimile 415-861-4893    E-Mail
[email-masked]