Subject: GLAAD's statement re: Coors donation
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:07:26 EST

[Dear friends,
Here is GLAAD's official response to anyone who asks why they've accepted
$110,000 from Coors.  If you have questions about the statement, or wish to
protest GLAAD decison to take the Coors money, please call 1-800-GAY-MEDIA and
ask to speak with Joan Garry.  Thanks.  --mp]

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 02:55:21 -0800
Subject: finally!
From: "Scott Seomin" <[email-masked]>

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is keenly aware of
the power of images. For those of us in the business of enacting cultural
change, we understand they can have a far reaching and indelible impact.
In our work, we set out to change hearts, broaden minds and engage our own
community as well as the nation as a whole.

GLAAD's Sexual Orientation in the Workplace Seminar is a critical component
to reinforcing accurate images of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
individuals.  GLAAD's tenth annual Media Awards will be held in three
cities, honoring and celebrating those who have provided the public with
unique and powerful portraits of our lives.  Both programs have proven
themselves to be integral, vital and vibrant pieces of our work.

Recently, the Coors Brewing Company has become a sponsor for both of these
GLAAD programs.  Our decision to work with Coors was not made in haste nor
in isolation.  It was a particularly difficult decision, and one which
challenged us as an organization and as individuals.  We took inventory of
our organizational decision- making process.  We examined the work which so
desperately needs to be done.  And we listened to those who believe that no
LGBT organization should partner with Coors.

Through our work with the media and with community organizations on both
the local and national levels, we've come to recognize that the voices
which resonate best with the public come from people who have experienced
things first-hand.  As a company, Coors has experienced a learning process.
It has made significant strides in fostering an internal corporate culture
which now values and welcomes all of its employees - including those of us
in the LGBT community.

GLAAD's Sexual Orientation In The Workplace Seminars are conducted in an
attempt to encourage workplaces to demonstrate a tangible commitment to the
well-being of their employees, their partners and families. Not just in
word only, but in deed.  This very real image of LGBT individuals and their
colleagues enjoying the same benefits - at work - is bound to extend well
beyond the walls of their workplace.

Since its inception in the mid-eighties, GLAAD has understood that
education must be at the heart of our progress.  In  our work, we build
relationships on a daily basis with those within and often, outside of our
community. Educating and broadening their understanding of our issues has
proven a sound and successful strategy.  We are making headway.

Encouraging vocal and healthy debate and dissent is critical to the health
of any movement. And as our community becomes more diverse, as our issues
become wider in scope - we are certain to choose different paths at
different times.  We at GLAAD respect and have listened to those who so
disagree with our working with the Coors Brewing Company.   Regardless of
our differences, we are all working toward the same goal.  In the spirit of
moving forward, GLAAD hopes that we can continue our work -together. There
is so much to be done.