Subject: Re: Gay and Lesbian Americans
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 94 02:05:50 EST

[email-masked]:
>What ever happened with the C SPAN broadcast of GLA's formation?
>Did anyone see it on January 17?  I'm curious to know what's up
>with the organization.  I was reviewing my old messages and
>remembered the conversation on them.  Their goals sounded very
>similar to NGLTF and HRCF. . .Any Updates Anyone?

C-SPAN carried the 1/17 press conference, which was held at noon, at 8:30
p.m. Central.  (The CA quake happened that morning.)

The interim steering committee & some other conference participants (like Ann
Northrup of NYC, who facilitated the weekend summit) talked about the
organization, its platform for 94 (4 items, see below), its structure, using
e-mail to organize, etc.  Also, the new GLA 800 number was prominently
displayed:  (800) 889-5111.

The 94 platform:
NATIONAL:
-  Federal Gay & Lesbian Civil Rights Bill (HR 431)
- The Barbara McClintock "AIDS Cure Act" (HR 3310)
LOCAL:
- Sodomy law repeal
- State & local gay & lesbian civl-rights bills

The press conference covered some of the differences in the national
organizations.  As you mentioned, many goals are shared.  One of the primary
differences is in structure.  GLA is a grassroots, bottom-up organization. 
Local activists will decide which issues are important for their communities
& what actions work there.  GLA's leaders will be elected by its membership. 
And GLA is non-partisan.  It will not endorse any candidate -- just publicize
the candidate's record.

The first line of the mission statement touches on those items.
"Gay and Lesbian Americans (GLA) is a diverse, non-partisan coalition of
grassroots advocates committed to  civil rights for the gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender people, and to cure for AIDS."

GLA's first nationwide actions will be held February 14.  Dubbed "Queers
Across America," press conferences will be held in state capitols on
Valentine's Day to point out the inequitable treatment G/L/B/T people receive
based on the people they love.

Gay & Lesbian Americans of Texas announces its formation in next week's
regional written G/L/B/T press:
Gay & Lesbian Americans of Texas
3516 Reagan Street
Houston, TX  77009-6212
(713) 802-0717 voice & fax
[FYI, our grassroots press conference 2/14 will be held at noon and will
highlight the recent Texas Supreme Court INDECISION on the state's same-sex
sodomy law.  Sodomy law repeal with a timely, local topic.]

Gay & Lesbian Americans has been endorsed by Bob & Rod Jackson-Paris, who
will be doing a fundraiser in Colorado.

Hope this fills in some of the blanks.  Let me know if you need any more
information.,