Subject: PRESS RELEASE: Pro-Religious Right/Anti-Lesbigay Hearings
From: [email-masked] (Thomas Klem)
Date: 6 Dec 1995 01:47:24 GMT

December 5, 1995

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact information: [email-masked]  or write to GALAH, P.O. Box 15803, 
Los Angeles, CA 90015.

ANTI-GAY HEARINGS SHOW GROWING POWER OF RELIGIOUS RIGHT

	Gay and Lesbian Atheists and Humanists seeks to inform the
lesbian/gay/bi/transgender community as well as the freethought community 
of an example of the increasing power of the Christian Right within the 
Republican Party and of how that power is being used in the halls of 
Congress.
	The anti-gay hearings being held on December 5 & 6, 1995 by the 
House Education Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations show the 
growing power of Christian fundamentalists within the Republican Party, 
and are an affront to the cherished American value of Separation of 
Church and State.  These hearings, originally scheduled for 
mid-September, were a result of a campaign promise by Congressmember Newt 
Gingrich (Rep. GA) to Rev. Lou Sheldon, leader of the "Traditional Values 
Coalition," (TVC) a California based Christian fundamentalist 
organization which is primarily focused on trying to deny lesbian, 
bisexual, and gay Americans equality, safety, and dignity.
	After a public uproar based on the nature of the hearings and the 
secrecy surrounding them, the hearings were postponed to an October date 
(which was subject to further postponement to this week), and the 
official focus expanded to include sex education, condom distribution, 
and abstinence.  According to Thomas Klem, Chair of Gay and Lesbian 
Atheists and Humanists, "Subcommittee Chairman Peter Hoekstra is giving 
the Religious Right the opportunity to promote the fundamentalist agenda 
on every matter having to do with AIDS, homosexuality, and other issues 
involving human sexuality."
	The ability of Rev. Lou Sheldon to demand and receive a soapbox 
to promote his views in a taxpayer-funded forum represents an attack on 
the American value of Separation of Church and State.  "Thomas Jefferson 
would be appalled to learn that an ordained minister can receive this 
kind of government forum to attempt to impose his religious beliefs on 
others.  Jefferson's 'Wall of Separation' is under siege," Klem said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------

Gay and Lesbian Atheists and Humanists is an organization with four main 
goals:
1. Support equal rights for lesbians, gays, and bisexuals.
2. Educate people about atheism and humanism.
3. Support separation of church and state.
4. Provide freethinkers with opportunities to get to know each other.

In the tenth year of its existence, GALAH has a rapidly growing 
membership of over 125. Historically, GALAH has been a local organization 
in the Los Angeles area, but GALAH has just started outreach to queer 
freethinkers nationwide.  To find out more about GALAH, see the contact 
information at the beginning of this release.