Subject: LEGAL HISTORY (please update on websites)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:40:11 -0400 (EDT)

Legal History
(revised 7/97)

In 1971 in Minnesota, Baker v. Nelson, the first same-sex marriage case
brought in the United States, is ruled against plaintiffs Richard John Baker
and James Michael McConnell. 

In 1972 in Wisconsin, Burkett v. Zablocki is ruled against two female
plaintiffs.  

In 1973 in Kentucky, Jones v. Hallahan is ruled against two female
plaintiffs. 

In 1974 in the state of Washington, Singer v. Hara is ruled against two male
plaintiffs.  

In 1991 in the District of Columbia, Dean v. D.C. is ruled against plaintiffs
Craig Dean and Patrick Gill.  Appeals to the Circuit Court of Appeals (the
highest court in D.C.) also resulted in a loss.

In 1993 in Hawaii, Baehr v. Lewin (since renamed Baehr v. Miike), the
landmark same-sex marriage case, is ruled initially in favor of plaintiffs
Joseph Melilio, Pat Lagon, Genora Dancel, Ninia Baehr, Tammy Rodrigues, and
Antoinette Pregil.  (A lower court had previously ruled against plaintiffs.)
 The Hawaii Supreme Court ruled that discrimination against same-sex couples
seeking marriage licenses presumptively violates the state's Equal Rights
Amendment (ERA) barring discrimination on the basis of sex.  Unless the state
can  demonstrate a "compelling state interest" in this denial, it will have
to issue marriage licenses to these and all other same-sex couples who
otherwise qualify.  The case was reheard on September 10th, 1996, and on
December 3rd, the court ruled that licenses must be issued to same-sex
couples.  The state appealed, and the court agreed to a stay on issuance of
the licenses pending the outcome.  (Licenses not expected to be issued until
1998.)    

In 1994 in Arizona, Callender v. Corbett, is ruled against plaintiffs Jerry
Callender, Antonio Muniz, John Duran, Stephen Baker, Eileen Jutras, Lizbeth
Petrucci, Kathy Greaves, and Aileen McMurrer.  Plans for appeal are put on
hold pending a final decision in Baehr.  

In 1995 in Alaska, a case was filed by Jay Brause and Gene Dugan. 

In 1996 in New York state, a case was filed by Toshav and Phillip Storrs.
 The Tompkins County Court ruled against them; the couple has indicated they
will appeal to the state Court of Appeals.

In 1997 in Vermont, a case was filed by three couples; Stan Baker and Peter
Harrigan, Nina Beck and Stacy Jolles, and Lois Farnham and Holly Puterbaugh.
 
rrr
 Marriage cases have also been recently initiated in Wisconsin and Florida, 
 but these are believed to be on hold indefinitely. 
-----------------------------------------------------
The Forum on the Right to Marriage (FORM)
Box 8033 JFK Station
Boston, MA 02114
(617) 868-FORM
[email-masked]
HTTP://www.calico-company.com/formboston
America Online:  Keyword: GLCF Library.  New Files -or- Legal Issues -or-
Organizations

Materials available:
Arguments/Letters to the Editor
Flier (new) *
General Quotations
Hawaii Primer 
How You Can Help
Ithaca Primer
Law Chart
Law Review Summary
Legal History 
Legal Summary
Marriage Primer     
Press Kit *
Resources
Timeline   
Wedding Announcements  

*available soon

##############################
FORM is a national grassroots organization primarily
engaged in education and outreach concerning the issue of
same-sex marriage.

FORM provides resources and training to similar locally
based groups throughout country.

FORM exists as well to facilitate and support the efforts 
of individuals, whether legal or legislative, that advance
the cause of same-sex marriage in the United States.

When feasible, FORM will work in concert with gay and
lesbian political groups to optimize organized efforts to
attain same-sex marriage rights.
##########################################
--------(Please print out, cut here, and mailback)-----------

Please help us to begin building the framework for legalizing same-sex
marriage. 

_ Yes, I want to be a member of FORM.  Please
enter my membership at the following level:

    _ Individual ($20.)
    _ Household ($30.) 
    _ Student/Low-income ($10.)

    _ I want to make an additional contribution in the amount of:

       $ _____  
   
 (Please make checks payable to: Forum on the Right to Marriage (FORM), Inc.)

 _ Add me to your mailing list:     
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 __________________________________

 _ I'm interested in becoming a FORM organizer/starting a chapter in my area.

We hope that you will become involved in FORM.  But the most important thing,
in whatever aspect of gay rights we may be involved in, is that we as gay
people share with those around us the truth of our lives.  FORM's activities
can serve only as an adjunct to individual gay men, women, and young people
willing to reach out and change the hearts and minds of the American people.
Thanks for your interest and your continued assistance in helping to make
marriage a reality for the gay community.  

Please mail to:

The Forum on the Right to Marriage (FORM)
Box 8033 JFK Station
Boston, MA 02114
***********************************

Contributions to FORM go solely toward our efforts to obtain full marriage
rights for same-sex couples.