Subject: ITHACA PRIMER
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 21:24:51 -0400

Ithaca Primer
(revised 7/96)

r In May 1995, an Ithaca, New York couple, Toshav and Philip Storrs,
requested
 a marriage license from the Ithaca City Clerk, Julie Newcomb.  Mayor
Benjamin Nichols, as well as the full City Council, endorsed the concept of
issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples who apply and otherwise
qualify.  

r The city was prepared to issue a license, but the Storrs requested that
this be delayed pending consultation with legal experts to determine the
possible ramifications of issuance.  Many, though not all, gay leaders have
taken the position that the license should not be issued because it would
have a negative impact on the long-term ability of same-sex couples to
achieve marriage rights. 

r Gay community strategic arguments against issuance of the license include
the fact that the legislature (regarded as conservative) is likely to respond
with a bill explicitly limiting marriage rights to male-female couples.
 Also, Attorney General Dennis Vacco, a Republican conservative who defeated
an openly lesbian candidate (in what many regard to have been a homophobic
campaign), may respond to issuance of licenses to same-sex couples by filing
a lawsuit to void them, as well as stop the issuance of any more.  At least
two other gay couples also applied for marriage licenses as well.   

r Some in the gay community believe the best strategy is to wait until a
final Hawaii victory before pursuing marriage either through lawsuits
directly, or through actions that could eventually lead to lawsuits.  Others
counter that most if not all of the organizations and people now exerting
pressure on the Storrs to withdraw their application opposed working for
marriage rights prior to the initial Hawaii victory.  FORM's position has
been to support the issuance of the marriage licenses. 
 
r On December 6, 1995, officials of the City of Ithaca announced that, though
they are supportive of the right to marriage for gay couples, they would not
be issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples at this time.  This decision
was reportedly reached based on legal as well as strategic factors.  The
couple indicated they may bring a lawsuit. 

r On April 1, 1996, the Storrs filed a lawsuit against in the Supreme Court
of the State of New York.

r On July 2, 1996, The New York State Supreme Court of Tompkins County denied
the Storrs' challenge to the denial of the license.  They have not indicated
whether they will appeal.  
--------------------------------------------------------
The Forum on the Right to Marriage (FORM)
Box 8033 JFK Station
Boston, MA 02114
(617) 868-FORM
[email-masked]
HTTP://www.calico-company.com/formboston
America Online:  Keyword: GLCF Library.  New Files -or- Legal Issues -or-
Organizations

Materials available:
Flier (new) *
General Quotations
Hawaii Primer 
How You Can Help
Ithaca Primer
Law Chart
Law Review Summary
Legal History 
Legal Summary
Marriage Primer     
Press Kit *
Resources
Timeline     *available soon

##############################
FORM is a national grassroots organization primarily
engaged in education and outreach concerning the issue of
same-sex marriage.

FORM provides resources and training to similar locally
based groups throughout country.

FORM exists as well to facilitate and support the efforts 
of individuals, whether legal or legislative, that advance
the cause of same-sex marriage in the United States.

When feasible, FORM will work in concert with gay and
lesbian political groups to optimize organized efforts to
attain same-sex marriage rights.
##########################################