Subject: FORM--FLYER (NEW)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 18:44:08 -0400

"They are married to each other in their own eyes, in God's eyes, in the eyes
of the church and community --in every eye but the law's."

 --Author Richard Mohr

FORM Organizers:

Jeff Nickel (Founder)
Jeffrey Atwood
John Burrows
Deborah and Beth Dellapiana
Ross Elliott
Rebecca Gorlin and Kim Shaw
Mary Ann Grim
Joe Pereira-West
Beverly Schwartz
C.D. Shields
Eden Stone
Steve Vogelsang
David Zanone

The Forum on the Right to Marriage (FORM) began organizing early in 1994,
prompted in part by a lack of effective action on the marriage issue by
established gay rights organizations.  However, we soon realized that even
beyond this problem, there was a great need for the development of new groups
whose sole focus would be the attainment of legally recognized marriage for
same-sex couples.  

We will create a national network of FORM chapters, to begin preparing for
the state-by-state struggles that will ensue in the not-too-distant future.
 We believe marriage will be a watershed issue for gay rights, and will bring
benefits far beyond the scope of marriage itself.  

FORM's first general meeting was held in Boston on February 8th, 1995.    
The Baehr v. Lewin case in Hawaii is the primary reason why working toward
marriage is so vital now.  It's scheduled to be reheard on September 25th,
1995; a final ruling is not expected until early 1997.  The burden of proof
 placed on the State of Hawaii to justify its discrimination against same-sex
couples is so high, there's virtually no chance of it being met. The
plaintiffs are overwhelmingly likely to win.  By 1997, the State of Hawaii
will probably begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.  The major
question will then be:  Will other states recognize Hawaii's gay marriages?

Though some gay leaders have decided the best approach is to wait on Hawaii
before filing other cases, we believe this is far from a settled issue.  To
paraphrase a famous economist, there are two kinds of gay leaders:  Those who
don't know what's going to happen, and those who don't know they don't know.
 We believe it  is important to keep an open mind, and be very careful before
condemning any efforts on behalf of same-sex marriage.  In considering our
strategy, we should remember that the Hawaii case itself came about
completely outside of the purview of the established gay rights
organizations; indeed, at the time, many actively opposed it. 

THE MARRIAGE RESOLUTION

"Because marriage is a fundamental right under our Constitution, and because
the Constitution guarantees equal protection of the law,

RESOLVED, the State should permit gay and lesbian couples to marry and share
fully and equally in the rights and responsibilities of marriage."  

This was developed by the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund as a tool
for raising awareness of the marriage issue.  We strongly urge everyone to
get their community organizations and institutions to endorse it, and then
notify either LAMBDA or FORM. 

"What is standing in the way?"

          --German gay activist Karl Ulrichs, 1869     
FORM's plan:

* Outreach to all fifty states.  Assist local communities in organizing FORM
chapters by providing materials, answering questions, and conducting
training.   

* Speakers bureau.  Outreach to "mainstream" as well as gay community
organizations, larger events with well-known gay figures and others.  

* Media.  Improve coverage of same-sex marriage, encourage positive
editorials, and provide factual information and interviews as events occur
nationwide. 

*  Legislative action. Approach state legislators, ask that they not support
"conservative" efforts to enact laws forbidding gay marriage, draft a bill
specifically allowing for same-sex marriage. 

*  Court challenges.  Work with legal experts in the preparation of a
marriage case, assist those bringing cases in other states with
informational, legal, financial, and other help.

* Public education.  This is the most important area of our mission.  Through
as diverse means as possible, foster a discussion of marriage as a
fundamental right, get the message of marriage rights across to all
Americans; gay or straight, married or single.  

Give us your stories!  

FORM is collecting anecdotes by and about same-sex couples that illustrate
the need for legal recognition of our relationships.  Tragic or joyous, sad
or wonderful, we want your experiences so that we can make the personal case
for gay marriage. Send your stories to us by mailing a tape or typewritten
material, or by e-mailing.  Those who don't wish their real names used can so
indicate.  But please, send us your stories!!! 

FORM RESOURCES:

(Available from FORM free of charge.)

General Quotations
Collection of marriage-related quotes

Hawaii Explication
Judicial breakdown of Baehr v. Lewin

Law Review Summary
Quotations and other material gathered from law review articles on or related
to same-sex marriage 

Legal Summary
Breakdown of constitutional and other legal factors involved in arguing a
marriage case

Marriage Law Chart
State-by-state chart explaining the major statutory factors in bringing a
marriage case

Marriage Resources
Bibliography of legal and general interest materials.

Marriage Timeline
Including court cases and other significant events.

All FORM materials can be freely copied and distributed widely.  Please, do!

     

"History can be made."

 --Gunnar Myrdal,  An American Dilemma

HOW TO REACH FORM

Mail: Forum on the Right to Marriage (FORM)
  227 Chelsea Street
  East Boston, MA 02128

Phone:  (617) 569-9733

Internet:

E-Mail: [email-masked]

Worldwide Web (WWW):  FORM materials available at:

http://nether.net/~rod/html/sub/marriage.html
-and-
http:/www.eskimo.com/~demian/partners.html

On America Online:  Clubs and Interests/Gay and Lesbian Forum/Resource
Library/New Titles and Free Uploading  (These will soon be moved to the Legal
Issues folder.)  

Sign up for FORM's e-mail list by e-mailing us at the above address.

To continue and greatly expand the work of this organization, funds, as well
as your time and energy, are urgently needed.  We are one of the very first
organizations in the country whose sole focus is same-sex marriage.  And we
are the only one covering all fifty states! 

As many commentators have noted, national discussion of gay marriage
following a final Hawaii ruling will dwarf the controversy and scope of the
gays in the military debate of 1993.  That time, we weren't ready.  This
time, we must be.  And with your help, we can be.  Far from fearing this
coming American dialogue, we welcome it.  Only an open discussion of the
nature of our love and our relationships--the core, after all, of what it
means to be a gay person--holds the promise of, at last, making gay women and
men full participants in every aspect of American life.  We have begun this
work, and as we hope our continued efforts will prove, we will finish it.    

FORM is a nonprofit organization incorporated in the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts (No. 498962.)  

==============================

______________________________

==============================

The
Forum
On the
Right to
Marriage

Working to Make Marriage a
Reality for the Gay Community

  It's Time.

Please help us to begin building the framework for legalizing same-sex
marriage. Because our work will involve influencing public opinion through
the legislative, judicial, and other political processes, contributions to
FORM will, unfortunately, not be tax-deductible.  Instead, we hope that you
will be able to help because you believe we are an organization making
tangible efforts, leading directly to the attainment of a  most basic human
right; the right to marry the person we love.  Eventually, gay marriage must
happen.  But eventually could be a long time.  Or, with your help, it could
be sooner than we imagine.  Please help.  

 Yes, I  believe in equal marriage rights.
  Add me to your mailing list:     
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 
  I can help with a donation of:
     $10 $25 $50 $100  other   
    (Please make checks payable to: Forum            on the Right to Marriage
(FORM), Inc.)     

  I'm interested in becoming a FORM  organizer.

  Questions/Comments:
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 __________________________________

We hope that you will become involved in FORM.  But the most important thing,
in whatever aspect of gay rights we may be involved in, is that we as gay
people share with those around us the truth of our lives.  FORM's activities
can serve only as an adjunct to individual gay men, women, and young people
willing to reach out and change the hearts and minds of the American people.
Thanks for your interest and your continued assistance in helping to make
marriage a reality for the gay community.  

Please help us to begin building the framework for legalizing same-sex
marriage. Because our work will involve influencing public opinion through
the legislative, judicial, and other political processes, contributions to
FORM will, unfortunately, not be tax-deductible.  Instead, we hope that you
will be able to help because you believe we are an organization making
tangible efforts, leading directly to the attainment of a  most basic human
right; the right to marry the person we love.  Eventually, gay marriage must
happen.  But eventually could be a long time.  Or, with your help, it could
be sooner than we imagine.  Please help.  

 Yes, I  believe in equal marriage rights.
  Add me to your mailing list:     
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 
  I can help with a donation of:
     $10 $25 $50 $100  other   
    (Please make checks payable to: Forum  
    on the Right to Marriage (FORM), Inc.)     

  I'm interested in becoming a FORM  organizer.

  Questions/Comments:
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 __________________________________

We hope that you will become involved in FORM.  But the most important thing,
in whatever aspect of gay rights we may be involved in, is that we as gay
people share with those around us the truth of our lives.  FORM's activities
can serve only as an adjunct to individual gay men, women, and young people
willing to reach out and change the hearts and minds of the American people.
Thanks for your interest and your continued assistance in helping to make
marriage a reality for the gay community.  

Please help us to begin building the framework for legalizing same-sex
marriage. Because our work will involve influencing public opinion through
the legislative, judicial, and other political processes, contributions to
FORM will, unfortunately, not be tax-deductible.  Instead, we hope that you
will be able to help because you believe we are an organization making
tangible efforts, leading directly to the attainment of a  most basic human
right; the right to marry the person we love.  Eventually, gay marriage must
happen.  But eventually could be a long time.  Or, with your help, it could
be sooner than we imagine.  Please help.  

 Yes, I  believe in equal marriage rights.
  Add me to your mailing list:     
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 
  I can help with a donation of:
     $10 $25 $50 $100  other   
    (Please make checks payable to: Forum            
     on the Right to Marriage (FORM), Inc.)     

  I'm interested in becoming a FORM  organizer.

  Questions/Comments:
 __________________________________
 __________________________________
 __________________________________

We hope that you will become involved in FORM.  But the most important thing,
in whatever aspect of gay rights we may be involved in, is that we as gay
people share with those around us the truth of our lives.  FORM's activities
can serve only as an adjunct to individual gay men, women, and young people
willing to reach out and change the hearts and minds of the American people.
Thanks for your interest and your continued assistance in helping to make
marriage a reality for the gay community.