Subject: Urgent: South Dakota Legislation Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:48:43 -0500

The South Dakota House of Representatives today voted 49-18 with three
abstentions to pass House Bill 1143 which would define marriage as only
between a man and a woman.  Keith Elston of the American Civil Liberties
Union said there was excellent debate on the floor.  Details will be
forthcoming.
      Last year, a ban on same-sex marriage passed 54-13 in the same body.
   Later it went to "bill oblivian" in the Senate, according to gay activist
Barry Wick of Rapid City, by going through two committees and then to die on
the floor by one vote to schedule it for a vote.  
     Hearings in a Senate Committee,yet to be named, will take place and be
another opportunity for activists in South Dakota o explain their position.
  Activists had already prepared for a Senate fight as had proponents of the
bill.  Proponents had not expected the House State Affairs Committee to
reject the bill.
     A complete listing of South Dakota Senators is available from Free
Americans Creating Equal Status of South Dakota's website at
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/usa/south_dakota/FACES.