Subject: South Dakota Marriage Bill Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 15:00:00 -0500

Contents
1.  News Release from FACES of SD, Inc.
   
January 29, 1996

     House Bills 1143 enters the South Dakota House this afternoon with a do
not pass recommendation from the House State Affairs Committee.
     Committee members voted 8 to 5 this morning on a do not pass
recommendation before sending it back to the full House which voted 41-21
last Friday to "smoke-out" the bill from the committee.   
     Free Americans Creating Equal Status of South Dakota Executive Director
Barry Wick said he was preparing a mailing to their list this morning in the
event the House fails to take the recommendation of the State Affairs
Committee and send it on to the Senate. 
      "House bill 1143 is likely to be the bill that will not die," said
Wick.  "I was very surprised to get the news the committee sent a do not pass
recommendation.  It's good news.  That same committee also sent the same
recommendation on House Joint Resolution 1001 which would have called on the
electorate to ban affirmative action in South Dakota.  I'm working closely
with Keith Elston of the ACLU in North Dakota.  He has a lobbyist in Pierre
doing the good work."
      FACES of South Dakota sponsors the state's first statewide gay and
lesbian newsletter, resource guide and library.   Interested parties can
contact FACES website for lists of South Dakota Senators at
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/usa/south_dakota/FACES.   FACES office is located at
13121 South Creekview Road, Rapid City, SD, 57702-8503, Phone 605-343-5577 or
FAX 605-394-8962, email:  [email-masked].