Subject: Press ReleaseJanuary 5, 1996
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 16:38:55 -0500

Free Americans Creating Equal Status of South Dakota, Inc
FACES of South Dakota, Inc
Barry Wick, President/Executive Director
13121 South Creekview Road
Rapid City, South Dakota  57702
605-343-5577
email:  [email-masked]

January 5, 1996

For Immediate National Release

	"An attack on human rights by a few South Dakota legislators does not 
speak
for the majority of South Dakotans who recognize every adult citizen's right
to work and earn a living, freedom to love and live a peaceful life with
their adult partner, and to be free of discrimination, harassment and
violence," said Barry Wick, Executive Director of Free Americans Creating
Equal Status of South Dakota, Inc.  of Rapid City.  
                Two articles appearing on different sides of the tell the
story of a state where homophobia is rampant.  An article in the Sioux Falls
Argus Leader is titled "Legislator to reintroduce bill banning gay marriage."
 Gays and lesbians across the state had expected Rep. Roger Hunt, R-Brandon,
to reintroduce the bill that was defeated by one vote in the senate last
March.  
                A second article entitled "Amendment would ban affirmative
action" appeared in the Rapid City Journal also on January 5th.  In that
article three legislators, Sen. Alan Aker, R-Rapid City, Rep. Helena Hassard,
R-Hot Springs and Rep. Harvey Krautschun, R-Sturgis, support an amendment to
the state constitution banning affirmative action though the article contains
anti-gay overtones.
	"Four South Dakota legislators are attempting to pass laws  with 
statements
that encourage discrimination or worse against lesbians, gay, bisexuals and
transgendered persons.   Rep. Roger Hunt, R-Brandon, wants the state
legislature to spend more time and money again on banning marriage for adult
gays and lesbians already disallowed by law.  He's reintroducing the bill
according to an article in the Jan. 5 Sioux Falls Argus Leader.  
	 "The three legislators attempting to ban affirmative action seek to 
force
companies to stop hiring the best qualified persons even if those persons
might be gay or lesbian.   This isn't encouraging businesses to come and
invest in South Dakota.  This tells national and international businesses
that their recruiting practices and their offers of benefits are wrong.  This
discourages business from coming to South Dakota." said Wick.  
               The Rapid City Journal article went on: " Hassard said the
proposed amendment does not prohibit discrimination or preferential hiring
for sexual preference.  Language to that effect was removed from the bill
this week, she said.
                " Sen. Aker said, "We decided that wouldn't be appropriate."
 Aker said he and Hassard did not intend the amendment to allow gay marriages
or to force Boy Scout Troops to hire homosexual scout leaders."
                Said Wick, "If Aker and Hassard actually used this example,
then they would both be guilty of stereotyping, demonizing and marginalizing
gays and lesbians.  Studies now show that children, particularly girls,  are
more likely to be molested by a family member.  Using the spectre of child
molestation to fear-monger legislation into law is reprehensible."
	"Rep. Hassard is reported by the Rapid City Journal to have said "We are
Americans...We have to finally understand we can't go on splitting up."   Yet
Hassard is further to have said her bill to ban affirmative action will not
prohibit discrimination for sexual preference.  By doing so she encourages
discrimination against lesbians and gays or people perceived to be gay or
lesbian.   Further, she's telling companies that already hire gays and
lesbians and provide insurance benefits to same-sex partners in South Dakota
not to do business with or in  the state of South Dakota.  That's
anti-business and a surprising position for a Republican legislator.
 Additionally, she never tried to stop verbal gay-bashing on the floor of the
House last year and voted to ban same-sex marriage in support of Roger Hunt's
hatred of gays and lesbians," said Wick
	 Wick says Hunt and his supporters have demonized and marginalized
law-abiding, tax-paying, business owning,  and hard-working gay and lesbian
citizens of this state by promoting the ban on same-sex marriage.   
	"Many good citizens will most likely oppose anti-gay legislation and
reckless statements by legislators who encourage discrimination," said Wick.

Free Americans Creating Equal Status of South Dakota, Inc. is a non-profit,
educational organization supporting the first state gay and lesbian library,
the first statewide newsletter for gays and lesbians, and provides
information for the betterment of conditions for  the state's gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered citizens.
FACES of South Dakota, Inc. sponsored the first statewide organizing tour for
gays and lesbians in South Dakota in October last year.  It also sponsored
the state's first candlelight vigils for gay and lesbian victims of
discrimination and violence in Vermillion and Sioux Falls.