Subject: South Dakota Committee Gets Slapped for Opposing Hate
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 12:13:28 -0500

For Immediate Release  1/31/96                (revised 1)

Committee says no to gay hate: gets slapped

	Just before the South Dakota House passed a change in South Dakota marriage
laws 49-18  to prevent same-sex marriage,  the House slapped a bipartisan
committee that said no to continued hatred of gays and lesbians.   
	The same committee voted 9 - 3 in 1995 to approve the ban for same-sex
marriage.  After hearings in 1996, they did an "about face" and disapproved
of changes to marriage law that would ban same-sex marriages in South Dakota.
	"The motion was to strike the word "not" from the House State Affairs
Committee's "do not pass" recommendation on House Bill 1143," said FACES
executive director Barry Wick.  "Rep. Roger Hunt (R-Brandon) is trying to
cover-up the State Affairs Committee's disapproval of his hatred.   It is
nothing but vengeful arrogance on the part of Representative Hunt to tell the
committee their decision was wrong.  Hunt wants to have the legislature
approve second-class citizenship for  gay and lesbian citizens who pay taxes,
own homes, and contribute to the state."
	The unusual motion was passed at Hunt's insistence on a vote of 40 to 23
with 2 excused and 5 absent or not voting.  Hunt proposed the motion to
delete the committee's negative word followed the shock of the committee's
denial of his plea to ban same-sex marriage.  Those supportive of the ban
stated that the committee's decision would not stand.  They vowed to
"smoke-out" the ban onto the floor of the house.
	"South Dakota stands again on the verge of openly approving hatred," said
Wick.  "No matter how much they try to hide it,  citizens know what is
happening.   This will go into Hunt's record of hatred as his most astounding
contrivance.  The committee made the right decision to disapprove of Hunt's
unnecessary lunacy. Some members of the South Dakota House are hallucinating
if they think a change in the marriage laws is going to stop lesbian and gay
advancement towards full civil rights in South Dakota."
	House Bill 1143 moves to an as yet unnamed Senate Committee for hearing.
Last years bill failed to be scheduled for final vote in the Senate and died
for lack of support.
-30-

Free Americans Creating Equal Status of South Dakota, Inc.
13121 South Creekview Road
Rapid City, SD 57702-8503
605-343-5577
FAX 605-394-8962
email:  Facessd
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/usa/south_dakota/FACES