Subject: ACTION NEEDED in South Dakota
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:08:25 -0500

From: 
Barry Wick, executive director
FACES of South Dakota, Inc.
13121 South Creekview Road 
Rapid City, SD, 57702-8503
Phone 605-343-5577 
Fax: 605-394-8962
email: [email-masked].

     House Bill 1143 in the South Dakota House of Representatives would
define marriage only for a man and a woman.  We have not seen a complete
written version of the bill.  It hasn't been printed and it seems to be in
hiding.  We know it defines marriage and would ban same-sex marriages from
other states.  It comes before the House State Affairs committee this Friday
or Monday. [ We are also watching an AIDS testing measure that would test
"certain persons"  (undefined), Senate Bill 0117; and the affirmative action
amendment, House Joint Resolution No. 1001 that bans affirmative action in
South Dakota and does not include "sexual orientation" in the wording.  We
are watching for other potential bills.]
    
     Reps. Sears, Billion, Haley and Jorgensen are on our side and voted
against a similar measure last year. Dr. Billion testified against the bill
last year in a Senate Committee.  This year, one observer said,  they are
just defining marriage and there won't be alot of gay bashing...but the
intent is the same.  Haley voted with us on the floor on the floor of the
House.  Kay Jorgensen lead the fight against the same-sex marriage ban last
year and claims to have a secret weapon to stop it this year according to
inside sources.  If you have some other secrets to share with these
legislators it will help.

     All members may receive faxes directed to them alone at the Capital Fax
# 605-773-4576 (Must be faxed to specific legislator)
	
The following is a list of the House State Affairs Committee members.

The House State Affairs Committee of South Dakota  (13 members)

Rep. Larry  Lucas  Party:   D  District:  27, POB 182, Mission SD 57555-0182
Home Phone:  605-856-2439,  Work Phone:  605-856-2341,  Fax Number:
 605-856-2032  All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital Ave.,
Pierre, SD  57501-5070	

Rep. David R. Munson  Party:   R  District:  12, 1009 No. Sycamore Ave.,
Sioux Falls SD 57103 Home Phone:  605-336-6987,  Work Phone:  605-331-7256,
 Fax Number:  605-330-6701  All representatives receive mail at 500 East
Capital Ave., Pierre, SD  57501-5070

Rep. Pat  Haley  Party:   D  District:  21, 766 Utah Avenue S.E., Huron SD
57350-2906 Home Phone:  605-352-4969,  Work Phone:  605-352-5875,  Fax
Number:  605-352-8171 All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital
Ave., Pierre, SD  57501-5070	

Rep. Gordon R. Pederson, Vice-Chairman,  Party:   R  District:  30, Box 312,
Wall SD 57790-0312 Home Phone:  605-279-2610,  Work Phone:  ,  Fax Number:
 All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital Ave., Pierre, SD
 57501-5070

Rep. Jack  Billion MD Party:   D  District:  13, 1600 South 4th Ave. ,Sioux
Falls SD 57105-1920 Home Phone:  605-331-4729,  Work Phone:  ,  Fax Number:
 605-335-6710  All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital Ave.,
Pierre, SD  57501-5070	

Rep. Larry E. Gabriel, Chairman,  Party:   R  District:  26, HC 84 Box 22,
Cottonwood SD 57775-9734 Home Phone:  605-457-3161,  Work Phone:  ,  Fax
Number:  All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital Ave., Pierre,
SD  57501-5070

Rep. Kay S. Jorgensen  Party:   R  District:  31, 1909 Stage Barn Circle,
Spearfish SD 57783 Home Phone:  605-642-5890,  Work Phone:  605-642-5890,
 Fax Number:  All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital Ave.,
Pierre, SD  57501-5070	

Rep. Steve  Cutler  Party:   R  District:  02, 12057  411th Ave., Claremont
SD 57432-7302 Home Phone:  605-294-5232,  Work Phone:  605-294-5232,  Fax
Number:  All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital Ave., Pierre,
SD  57501-5070

Rep. Robert A. Roe  Party:   R  District:  07, 1820 Skyview Lane, Brookings
SD 57006-3535 Home Phone:  605-692-5874,  Work Phone:  605-692-8505,  Fax
Number:  605-692-6980 All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital
Ave., Pierre, SD  57501-5070	

Rep. Craig D. Schaunaman  Party:   D  District:  03, POB 2061, Aberdeen SD
57402-2061 Home Phone:  605-229-1393,  Work Phone:  605-225-6773,  Fax
Number:  605-229-4393 All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital
Ave., Pierre, SD  57501-5070

Rep. Lola F. Schreiber  Party:   R  District:  24, 30045 173rd St.,
Gettysburg SD 57442 Home Phone:  605-258-2103,  Work Phone:  605-224-9226,
 Fax Number:  605-224-5831All representatives receive mail at 500 East
Capital Ave., Pierre, SD  57501-5070	

Rep. John  Sears  Party:   R  District:  34, 3023 Sunny Hill Circle, Rapid
City SD 57702 Home Phone:  605-342-0236,  Work Phone:  605-341-5400,  Fax
Number:  605-342-3464All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital
Ave., Pierre, SD  57501-5070

Rep. Mike  Wagner  Party:   R  District:  09, Box 308,  Baltic SD 57003-0308
Home Phone:  605-529-5682,  Work Phone:  605-332-5962,  Fax Number:
 605-332-5962All representatives receive mail at 500 East Capital Ave.,
Pierre, SD  57501-5070	

For those who wish to write the Governor as well:

Governor William Janklow
500 East Capital Ave.
Pierre, SD
57501-5070
FAX 605-773-4711
[email-masked]