Subject: NBGLLF ANNOUNCES BLACK LESBIAN AND GAY CONFERENCE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 17:41:47 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                    CONTACT: Keith Boykin
  December 5, 1995                                      (213) 964-7820
                
                     FORUM ANNOUNCES 9TH ANNUAL
                          CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS

E. LYNN HARRIS TO RELEASE NEW BOOK AT DALLAS CONFERENCE

 Los Angeles -- Best-selling author E. Lynn Harris will give the first major
reading from his new book, And This Too Shall Pass, at the National Black
Lesbian and Gay Conference February 15-19, 1996 in Dallas, Texas.  

 The reading is one of several exciting events scheduled to take place at the
9th Annual Conference of the National Black Gay & Lesbian Leadership Forum,
the nation's oldest and largest black lesbian and gay organization.  Also at
the conference, Drs. Sylvia Rhue and Dee Mosbacher and Frances Reid will
screen their new film, "All God's Children," a documentary response to the
radical right's homophobic efforts to exploit black churches. 
 
 Other invited guests include Harvard Professor Cornel West and former
Congresswoman Barbara Jordan.

 Each year, the conference brings together more than 1,000 participants from
across the country in the nation's largest gathering of African American
lesbians and gays to address enlightening topics that affect the community.
 This year's conference theme, "Black Lesbians and Gays: Continuing the
Struggle," celebrates the lives, legacies and ongoing work of African
American lesbian gay, bisexual and transgender communities across the nation.

 Previous conference speakers have included the Rev. Jesse Jackson, U.S. Rep.
Maxine Waters, former Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, Angela Davis, bell
hooks, Bishop Carl Bean, Essence Magazine Executive Editor Linda Villarosa,
Cambridge Mayor Ken Reeves, Dr. Marjorie Hill, and writer/activists Audre
Lorde, Essex Hemphill and Barbara Smith.  Previous conference entertainers
have included Chaka Khan, Natalie Cole, Whoopi Goldberg, Peabo Bryson, and
Meshell NdegeO'cello.

 Conference topics include men's and womyn's issues, personal development,
grassroots activism, HIV/AIDS, spirituality, young adult issues, leadership
and public policy.  Highlights of the conference include the Annual Awards
Banquet and Dance and the AIDS Memorial Service.

  This year's conference will be held at the Harvey Hotel Brook Hollow,
  7050 N. Stemmons; Dallas, Texas  75247, and is being hosted by Dallas
"Ujima."
                                               ###

*******************************************************************************
To send a message to the entire list "glbpoc", email [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send a message 'unsubscribe glbpoc' to [email-masked].
To subscribe, send a message 'subscribe glbpoc' to [email-masked].
*******************************************************************************