From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 20:24:03 -0500

Whether or not Bill actually suffered from AIDS is not important; office
productivity lapsed as co-workers gave in to unfounded fear and
misinformation.  Citing their concern for his mental ability, management
"retired" Bill, who responded with an expensive and ultimately successful=

lawsuit.
If it were not so tragic, it might be fascinating to learn how a disease
which hardly existed a decade ago has now become a hotly debated,
controversial and terribly deadly illness - so deadly in fact that AIDS i=
s
now the nation's leading killer of young adults ages 25-44.
Because this age group also amounts to more than half the nation's workfo=
rce,
human resource personnel have increasingly faced the challenge of how bes=
t to
offer fair treatment to employees with HIV or AIDS, and how to stem offic=
e
disruption should co-workers learn of a case of AIDS in the workplace.
After only ten years, AIDS is the most litigated disease in American lega=
l
history.  With the bulk of lawsuits being employment related, here are po=
ints
which should be part of any workplace AIDS policy.  A good policy will he=
lp
you meet the needs of management, HIV-infected employees and co-workers.
Show compliance with the law.  State that your company adheres to the
Americans with Disabilities Act and its protections for people with HIV,
including acceptable performance standards, non-discrimination and reason=
able
accommodation.
Educate.  Policies often contain a component stating that HIV/AIDS is not=

transmitted through casual contact, and that employees with HIV/AIDS are =
no
health risk to their co-workers.  Invite employees to receive more
information on HIV through human resources, or conduct regular employee H=
IV
education programs.
Protect all employees.  Assure employees that their individual health sta=
tus
is confidential, private and not to be disclosed. Also state that the saf=
ety
of employees is of utmost importance.
Give clear direction.  State where employees should go with questions abo=
ut
HIV transmission, and from whom supervisors should get direction on deali=
ng
with HIV issues in their department.
Disseminate.  Be certain all employees at all levels read and understand =
the
policy.
There is no need to reinvent the wheel; sample policies are available thr=
ough
the National Leadership Coalition on AIDS, (202) 429-0930.
Editors Note:  The above was provided by Mark King, founder, Positive Res=
ponse
,  991 Berne Street, SE, Atlanta, GA  30316. King conducts HIV Education
Seminars and provides consultative services to organizations. FAX:
404-622-4222       Telephone:  404-622-1000  E-Mail:[email-masked].   =
  =

Education Produces A Better Workforce
In order to succeed, organizations must adjust to a changing workforce.  =
And
among the diverse constituencies to be addressed are the needs of gay and=

lesbian employees.  However, it is shortsighted to assume that the concer=
ns
of gay and lesbian people do not significantly impact non-gay employees a=
nd vi
ce versa.  =

The truth is that employees, regardless of their sexual orientation, have=

questions about a number of topics that are very new to them.  The answer=
s to
these questions are vital to every employee's welfare and prosperity.  =

There are three main areas of concern among employees and employers:
1.  A safe, supportive and cooperative working environment that will ensu=
re
maximum productivity;
2.  Demonstrating that it is highly cost-effective for the organization t=
o
value every employee equally;
3.  Provide information on matters vital to the health of individuals and=
 the
organization.
Common Ground, an education and consulting firm that specializes in workp=
lace
sexual orientation issues, believes that homophobia, inequitable benefits=

programs and negative behaviors resulting from fear and ignorance are all=

counter-productive.  And the only way to combat them is through education=
=2E
                                                                        p=
age
two  =

According to Liz Winfeld and Sue Spielman, principals of Common Ground,
"Managers must build teams that are constructed on foundations of trust a=
nd
honesty.  Such teams are essential to a productive and profitable
organization."  =

"When a gay person is forced to avoid questions about plans for his or he=
r
weekend (for example), it places an enormous strain both on that individu=
al
and his or her co-workers", notes Winfeld.  Continues Spielman, "Colleagu=
es
may interpret a reticence to share basic 'harmless', personal facts as
aloofness or a desire not to be part of the team."  This assumption will
eventually curtail the productivity, profitability and satisfaction of ev=
ery
worker, every team, and ultimately, the entire organization.
Winfeld and Spielman have found all too often that management operates fr=
om
the viewpoint that sexuality has no role in the workplace.  They have fou=
nd
this to be a common objection to the inclusion of sexual orientation mate=
rial
in diversity programs.  The workplace is not an asexual environment.
 Professional relationships are inherently social relationships and socia=
l
relationships are based on an exchange of information that can not avoid
encompassing sexuality.
For example, when someone puts a photograph of their life-partner or spou=
se
on their desk, they are not making a statement about their sexual behavio=
r.
 They are simply making a statement about who they are and what, in part,=

motivates them to succeed.  Sexual orientation, contends Spielman and
Winfeld, like race and gender, is intrinsic to the human being.  Each is =
part
of what a person is; none is an indicator of what a person does.
For more information on how to overcome problems in the workplace that st=
em
from bias, prejudice and/or ignorance of sexual orientation as an integra=
l
workplace concern, contact:
Common Ground, 10 Home Avenue, Natick, MA  01760.     FAX: 508-651-2547.
Telephone: 508-651-1476. E-Mail: [email-masked].
AEHRC's AIDS Memorial
AEHRC continues its memorial to those in the association
management/hospitality industry who have succumbed to AIDS.  To have some=
one
included in future listings, please send AEHRC the name of the individual=
,
their age at the time of their passing, and their last relevant employing=

organization. An asterisk after a name indicates an addition since the la=
st
issue.    =

 AEHRC extends its deepest sympathy to the companions, families and frien=
ds
of our peers who have departed this life because of AIDS.  May this listi=
ng
serve to further inspire everyone to strive to overcome the fear, ignoran=
ce
and discrimination associated with this epidemic.   =

=17=17=17=17=17William A. Bailey, 34, American Psychological Association,=
 Washington,
DC.                                                            Gerald A.
Becchetti*, 31, Ameri can Pharmaceutical Association, Washington, DC.
Robert B. Burnett, 57, Windham Hotel, Washington, DC.  =

R. Charles Harker*, 44, American Physical Therapy Association, Alexandria=
,
VA.
John Hightower*, 38, The Appraisal Institute, Chicago, IL.
Donald B. Hopkins, 46, National Association of Area Agencies on Aging,
Washington, DC.
Richard J. Marble*, 37, Special Events & Catering, Chicago. (Previously: =
The
Management Group, Chicago.)  =

Larry Alan Miller, 47, Miller Machesney & Associates, Inc. =

Jeffrey D. Mullican, 34, Associated General Contractors of America, Bosto=
n,
MA.  =

Thomas G. Murphy, 38, Washington (DC) Convention and Visitors Association=
=2E
Frank Sabatino*, 46, American Hospital Association, Chicago, IL.  =

Stephen C. Smith, 37, Human Rights Campaign Fund, Washington, DC. =

Kenneth E. Sullivan, 57, National Rifle Association, Reston, VA. =

Russell R. Sweet, 28, Henley Park Hotel, Washington, DC.
Joseph Zendell*, 45, Evanston Arts Council, Evanston, IL.
Bobby R. Wiggins*, 50, Flowers by Wiggins, New York, NY. (Previously: Ala=
bama
Forestry Association, Montgomery, AL.)           =

ProNet =3D New Professional Networking Feature
The Association Executives Human Rights Caucus (AEHRC) is pleased to anno=
unce
the initiation of a new service, ProNet. The acronym means Professional
Networking and will utilize The Mullican Report to connect potential
employers with potential employees or service providers.
                                        Individuals who wish to offer the=
ir
services via ProNet may                               page three   do so =
at
no charge, so long as they have made a contribution of $25 or more to the=

support of the work of AEHRC in the last twelve months.  Organizations ma=
y
also list employment opportunities at no charge, provided the organizatio=
n
and/or an individual employee of the organization, has made the requisite=

contribution to AEHRC.
An organization wishing to list an employment opportunity must certify th=
at
it offers a non-discriminatory employment environment.  The certification=

shall be in the form of a copy of the appropriate section of the
organization's personnel policies which expressly prohibits discriminatio=
n on
the basis of sexual orientation. Upon submission of such documentation, t=
he
organization will also qualify for AEHRC's "Affirming Association" or
"Affirming Partner" designation.
Listings will be limited to a maximum of 50 words and will be given the
option of having a direct response or a blind box.  Listings will run for=
 two
issues, unless otherwise specified.            ProNet-March 1994
Bringing People Together - Realize a new standard of professionalism in
meeting planning. Let HOST Meetings & Events Management make it easier fo=
r
you! William R. Host, Jr., CMP, 5325 South Hyde Park Boulevard, Suite 2A,=

Chicago, IL 60615-5720. FAX: 312.955.7511. Voice: 312.955.6531.
Strategic Tool - Outsource your special projects or continuing functions:=

membership development, event planning and management, public affairs,
marketing,  or communications. Put the best to work for you!  The JOY Gro=
up,
Ltd., James O. Yeaman, CAE, POB 60001, Chicago, IL 60660-0001.  E-Mail:
[email-masked].    FAX: 312.338.4842.  Voice: 312.743.6554.    =

Diversity Seminar Set For Dallas In June
The American Hotel & Motel Association (AH&MA) has planned a series of
diversity seminars in conjunction with its 1995 meetings.  The first will=
 be
held at Loews Anatole Hotel in Dallas, June 15-17.  =

According to Michael Peceri, CHA, chairman of AH&MA, "This diversity semi=
nar
will be highly interactive between attendees and facilitators. It is the =
next
step in presenting a complex, sensitive subject to the lodging industry."=

For more information, write: AH&MA, 1201 New York Avenue, NW, #600, New Y=
ork,
NY 20005-3931. Telephone: 202.289.3100.
Allstate Expands Liability Coverage For Couples
Northbrook, IL-based Allstate Insurance Company has agreed to provide exc=
ess
liability coverage for same-sex homeowners.  The policy, called Personal
Umbrella Protection, is being opened up to same-sex couples as a result o=
f a
complaint filed by a New York couple who had been living together for ten=

years and registered as domestic partners in 1993.  =

Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund (LLDEF) stepped in when Allstate
attempted to require the purchase of two separate policies. LLDEF argued =
over
a nine month period of negotiations that Allstate was violating a New Yor=
k
state law banning marital status discrimination.  It further argued that
Allstate was not in compliance with the state insurance law prohibiting
discrimination between people in the same class of risk.
Allstate issued the joint coverage to the couple in December of 1994.  Th=
e com
pany is now rewriting its contracts according to state insurance laws
throughout the country.
Ericka Lewis of the Insurance Information Institute said, in an article w=
hich
appears in the March 7th issue of The Advocate, "I know that other compan=
ies
are looking into it, and we should be seeing more of it in the future.  W=
e
commend Allstate for recognizing that these domestic situations exist, an=
d we
expect other companies to          follow suit.
                               =

The Mullican Report =

           =A9 1995                                    Association Execut=
ives
                           Human Rights Caucus
                           Post Office Box 60001
                         Chicago, IL 60660 -0001
                      Telephone: 312.743.6554                           F=
AX:
312.338.4842                    E-Mail: [email-masked]      =

Your voluntary contributions are invited to help defray the expenses of T=
he
Mullican Report and AEHRC.     =

   =

    LATE NEWS: =

The U.S. Supreme Court will review the Colorado Supreme Court's decision =
that
found Amendment 2 to be unconstitutional. Action expected this Summer or
Fall.  Details in the next issue!