Subject: Omni Hotel Charged
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 10:56:59 -0500

For Immediate Release
                                                             Contact: Jim
Yeaman, CAE, Executive Director
Association Executives Human Rights Caucus
(312) 743-6554 - [email-masked]

Minneapolis Commission To Rule
 In Three Cases Of Sexual Orientation Discrimination At Omni Northstar Hotel

	Chicago, IL - (March 31, 1995) - The Minneapolis Commission on Civil Rights
has determined that there is probable cause to support charges that the Omni
Northstar Hotel (now the Crowne Plaza) engaged in illegal workplace
discrimination because of the sexual orientation of three former employees.
 The findings are the result of three separate complaints filed by former
employees of the Hampton, NH-based Omni Hotel.  In the most recent case, the
Commission, on February 8, 1995, reversed itself in a case filed by former
employee Tom Doolittle and determined that there was probable cause to
believe that the discriminatory practices had taken place.  
	In the case brought against the Omni Northstar Hotel by Bob Bulthuis, the
Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights (MDCR) investigated his claim and
initially found that there was insufficient evidence to show there was
illegal discrimination.  Bulthuis hired attorney Brian Huling who handled an
appeal of the initial decision and a hearing was held before a panel of the
Minneapolis Commission on Civil Rights.  The Commission reversed the findings
of the MDCR and determined that there was sufficient evidence to enter a
finding that there was probable cause that Bulthuis had been subjected to
illegal workplace discrimination based on his sexual orientation.  The case
is set to be tried before another panel of Commissioners this summer.  
	As an example of the alleged discriminatory conduct on the part of the
hotel, Bulthuis was voted "Employee of the Year", and when the results of the
balloting had been determined, management ordered a new ballot which resulted
in the award going to a heterosexual female employee.  In a subsequent year's
balloting and after receiving a promotion, Bulthuis was denied recognition as
"Manager of the Year", despite the fact that a check which represented the
monetary recognition that accompanied such an award had already been "cut".
 The check was voided and another employee chosen for the award.
	In another case being handled by Huling, the employee filed a complaint and
the MDCR investigation found that there was probable cause to believe that
the employee had been subjected to illegal workplace discrimination based on
his sexual orientation.  A panel of Commissioners is slated to hear the case
in May.
	In all cases, the employees' charged that the hotel had ignored on-the-job
threats against them, encouraged derogatory remarks by management and staff
directed at the employees' sexual orientation and imposed a requirement that
gays and lesbians work holidays because "gays don't have families".
	In a statement to AEHRC, Attorney Huling noted, "In representing my clients
before the Minneapolis Commission on Civil Rights, I am convinced that the
defendant hotel has engaged in a pattern of illegal workplace discrimination
based on sexual orientation. The findings of the Commission in three separate
cases against the hotel substantiate this opinion."  Huling continued, "We
have made many attempts to enlist the support of area human rights
organizations in the Twin Cities area, to no avail.  Thankfully, the
Association Executives Human Rights Caucus has embraced the rights of my
clients and is working with us to see that justice is done and to expose
these discriminatory practices."
	According to Jim Yeaman, CAE, AEHRC's Executive Director, "The Caucus
deplores any discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in the
association management/hospitality industry.  As further findings are
announced in the three cases in Minneapolis, AEHRC will make them available
to its constituency and the trade press."  
	For more information on AEHRC, write: James O. Yeaman, CAE, Executive Directo
r; Post Office Box 60001, Chicago, IL  60660-0001. V: 312-743-6554. F:
312-338-4842. E-Mail: [email-masked].

# # #

For additional comments and information, contact:

	Brian Huling
	Rapoport & Wylde
	Calhoun Square, Suite 309B
	3001 Hennepin Avenue South
	Minneapolis, MN  55408
	V: 612-825-2331
	F: 612-825-0061

	Willliam R. Prock, Enforcement Manager
	Department of Civil Rights
	City of Minneapolis
	City Hall, Room 239
	Minneapolis, MN  55415-1371
	V: 612-673-3012
	F: 612-673-2599