Subject: Initial Survey Results Released
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 16:45:11 -0400

NEWS RELEASE

Policies and Benefits Survey Reveals
Growing Recognition of Basic Human Rights

	Chicago, IL (August 12, 1995) - Early responses to a survey to assess the
inclusion of sexual orientation in the non-discrimination section of
personnel policies of America's associations and industry organizations
reveal a growing recognition of basic human rights.  According to James O.
Yeaman, CAE, Executive Director of the Association Executives Human Rights
Caucus (AEHRC), "93 percent of those responding to-date indicate that they
have a formal policy which protects the rights of all employees regardless of
their sexual orientation."  The survey is being undertaken by AEHRC to assess
the degree to which the association management/hospitality community has
acknowledged sexual orientation as a critical component of the Standards of
Conduct of the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE).  
	The Standards of Conduct of ASAE require all ASAE members to pledge
themselves to "Refuse to engage in, or countenance, discrimination on the
basis of sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or
disability."  The Standards are published on page 63 of ASAE's 1995 "Who's
Who in Association Management."
	"While the survey continues to be distributed and responses continue to be
received, AEHRC is surprised and disappointed at the low level of response
received from the leadership of ASAE," said Yeaman.  "Only three directors
from the 1995 ASAE Board have responded.  Yeaman attributes the low level of
response from this segment of the profession to vacations and involvement in
activities preceding and including the 75th anniversary meeting of ASAE now
taking place in the nation's capital.  "Hopefully, when they return to their
offices, the remainder of ASAE's leadership will respond to the survey," said
Yeaman, who further notes that the new members of the ASAE Board have yet to
be surveyed.
	In keeping with the announced intentions of AEHRC, the responses to the
survey will be incorporated into a database and made available up request.
 Periodic updates will also be published in The Mullican Report, the
newsletter of the Association Executives Human Rights Caucus.  
	The first question posed in the survey:  "Does your organization have a
formal policy which protects the rights of all employees regardless of their
sexual orientation?"  		
                  Those responding "YES":  American Association of University
Women, American Dental Association, American Society of Civil Engineers
Foundation, American Society of Consultant Pharmacists, Association of Trial
Lawyers of America, The Association Executive, Greater Boston Convention and
Visitors Bureau, Bostrom Corporation, Brownsville Convention and Visitors
Bureau, Business for Social Responsibility, Communication Management, Inc.,
Gay and Lesbian Medical Association, Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, Greater
Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau, Human Rights Campaign Fund, Lambda
Legal Defense and Education Fund, Greater Minneapolis Convention and Visitors
Association, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, National Grocers
Association, National Education Association, R.D. International, Rotary
International, San Francisco Convention and Visitors Bureau, Sheraton City
Centre Hotel Washington, DC), Speech Language Hearing Association,
Tampa/Hillsborough Convention and Visitors Association, The Endocrine
Society, Greater Washington Society of Association Executives, Western
Alliance of Arts Administrators. 
	Those responding "NO": American Association of Nurserymen, Arizona Cable
Television Association.
	The second question posed in the survey:  "Does your organization include
the domestic partners of your employees in your group insurance and/or
benefit programs?"  
	Those responding "YES":  American Association of University Women, Arizona
Cable Television Association, Business for Social Responsibility, Bostrom
Corporation, Communication Management, Inc., Gay and Lesbian Medical
Association, Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, Human Rights Campaign Fund, Lambda
Legal Defense and Education Fund, Greater Minneapolis Convention and Visitors
Association, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, National Education
Association, National Grocers Association, R.D. International, Speech
Language Hearing Association.
	Those responding "NO":  American Association of Nurserymen, American Dental
Association, American Society of Civil Engineers Foundation, American Society
of Consultant Pharmacists, The Association Executive, Association of Trial
Lawyers of America, Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau,
Brownsville Convention and Visitors Bureau, Greater Houston Convention and
Visitors Bureau, Rotary International, San Francisco Convention and Visitors
Bureau, Sheraton City Centre Hotel, Tampa/Hillsorough Convention and Visitors
Association, The Endocrine Society, Greater Washington Society of
Association Executives, Western Alliance of Arts Administrators.
	Yeaman notes that one respondent took the time to plead with AEHRC to keep
from concluding that "...non-respondents are automatically a negative or are
unconcerned."  AEHRC  will not identify an organization as a
"non-respondent". The exception to this policy will be those organizations
which occupy positions of leadership in the community.  Before AEHRC names an
organization as a "non-respondent", it will be given a second opportunity to
respond.
	Yeaman concludes, "There are probably many organizations which do not
discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in our community.  However,
absent any formal policy which puts the organization on record as providing a
non-discriminatory environment, the employees of such an organization may
find their warm and friendly work environment turn hostile with a change in
senior management and/or the organization's elected leadership.  The best
policy is to have it in writing and communicate it throughout the
organization."
	For a copy of the formal survey instrument, contact AEHRC at the address
below.  An organization may communicate its position on the two questions by
writing to AEHRC on the organization's letterhead. Such a "response" must be
authenticated by the signature of the chief staff executive or the head of
the organization's human resources department.
	The Association Executives Human Rights Caucus exists to deter
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in the association
management/hospitality community. For more information, write: James O.
Yeaman, CAE, Executive Director, AEHRC, Post Office Box 60001, Chicago, IL
 60660-0001.  Telephone: 312.338.5600. FAX: 312.338.4842. E-Mail:
[email-masked].
# # #