Subject: Defamation Incident at ASAE Conv
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 94 11:13:24 EDT

Association Executives Human Rights Caucus                
Post Office Box 60001, Chicago, IL  60660 - Phone: 312.743.6554 - FAX:
312.338.4842 - Internet: [email-masked]

NEWS RELEASE

AEHRC Seeks Apologies For Presentation 
At CAE Reunion Breakfast

    Chicago, IL (September 23, 1994) - The Association Executives Human Rights
Caucus (AEHRC) has called for an apology to be made for some of the content
of the keynote presentation at the recent CAE Reunion Breakfast held in San
Francisco during the 74th ASAE Annual Meeting and Expo, August 29, 1994.  The
speaker, Dr. Jack Llewellyn, offended gay and lesbian CAE's in attendance at
the Reunion Breakfast by the homophobic overtones in his presentation and by
incorporating negative stereotypes about gays and lesbians.
    According to one CAE in attendance, Dr. Llewellyn told a story about
painting the locker room of a visiting sports team pink, and then minced
across the stage to imitate what he implied to be the newly-acquired
effeminacy of the opposing team.  He also made a joke about hugging a naked
man.
    In letters to ASAE and Ritz-Carlton Hotels, the sponsor for the CAE Reunion
Breakfast, AEHRC has called on Dr. Llewellyn and all parties to the event to
issue a formal public apology to the gay and lesbian members of the
association management community.  In addition, efforts are underway to
require that all future speakers and other talent which is booked for any
ASAE function be cautioned against making any remarks or gestures which
defame any group of members.
    A deadline of October 15th has been set for receipt of the apologies which
will be included in coverage of the incident in the next issue of the AEHRC
newsletter, The Mullican Report.
    In a unrelated matter, the California Region of Marriott Hotels has issued
an apology for a sentence in a brochure distributed in mid-May which has been
interpreted as offensive to the gay and lesbian association management
community.  Catherine Boire, Director of Public Relations for the California
Region, in a letter to meeting planners, apologized for the inclusion of the
statement in the brochure.  She asked that all copies of the 
offending brochure be returned to Marriott in a postage paid envelope
provided by her office.  
    A revised version of the brochure has been prepared and distributed to all
those on the original distribution list.  For a copy of the 32 page brochure,
"Just About The Only Thing You Can't Do In California Is See The Atlantic
Ocean", call Ms. Boire at 714-979-2333, extension 672.  AEHRC has commended
Marriott for taking this action and notes that it is consistent with
Marriott's long standing history of non-discrimination toward its employees
and customers.
    The Association Executives Human Rights Caucus exists to deter
discrimination against association management industry professionals based on
sexual orientation.  For more information on the work of AEHRC, contact:
		Jim Yeaman, CAE, Executive Director
		Post Office Box 60001
		Chicago, IL  60660-0001
		Telephone: 312-743-6554
		FAX: 312-338-4842
		Internet: [email-masked]

# # #