Subject: (fwd) Clinton's Gay Ban Marches On
From: "Thomas W. Holt Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 13:40:39 -0500

Path: onyx.indstate.edu!usenet.ucs.indiana.edu!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!gatech!paladin.american.edu!auvm!nyxfer.blythe.org!ww
Comments: Gated by [email-masked]
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.gaynet
Comments: ********************************************************
Comments: * The following "Approved" statement verifies header   *
Comments: * information for gateway passage.  No approval of the *
Comments: * content is implied.                                  *
Approved: [email-masked]                              *
Comments: ********************************************************
Sender: [email-masked]
From: Workers World Service <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Clinton's Gay Ban Marches On
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 00:26:25 -0500 (EST)
Reply-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Content-Type: text
Content-Length: 2159
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
Lines: 46

Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit

Editorial: Workers World, Dec 7, 1994

CLINTON GAY BAN MARCHES ON

The Clinton administration's hypocrisy on the issue of gays in
the military marches on. The latest episode unfolded over the
last two weeks in November. First, the government hailed an
appeals court ruling upholding the ouster of a gay cadet from the
U.S. Naval Academy. Then, in a seeming contradiction, the Justice
Department announced it would not challenge a separate appeals
court decision overturning the ouster of another gay sailor.

The second move means Keith Meinhold can stay in the Navy--for
now. But it's only a victory for the civil rights of lesbian and
gay military employees in a very narrow sense. That's because the
"new" Clinton-era ban on gays in the military--the one that says
you can "be" gay but you can't tell anyone or have sex--
remains in force. In fact, some sources have reported an increase
in witch hunts against gay and lesbian service members in the
last year.

Navy officers have already told Meinhold that even if he's won
his case for now, they'll be watching him. His lawyer reports
that "if he says he's gay again, then they would be taking action
against him under the new policy." That, of course, virtually
assures that they'll kick Meinhold out again. And that's okay
with President Clinton.

The whole sorry spectacle shows again that the struggle for full
rights and liberation is key. The only reason Clinton ever
promised to lift the ban in the first place was because of the
strength of the struggle. Now he marches to the brass's tune. It
also shows again that the Pentagon is the enemy of every worker
and oppressed person. Nevertheless, soldiers and sailors stuck
inside the military must not be left at the mercy of the racist,
sexist, anti-gay brass. The fight for full rights for everyone in
the armed forces is part of the workers' struggle.

                               -30-

(Copyright Workers World Service: Permission to reprint granted
if source is cited. For more information contact Workers World,
55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail: [email-masked].)