Subject: Where is the Outrage Commentary
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 16:22:27 -0500

Please feel free to reprint the following editorial.  For more information,
contact Petr Pronsati, UPDATE editor, directly at 1-800-331-1751 or
                         gay [email-masked].

Sincerely

Beth Barrett
National Gay & Lesbian Task Force

---------------------------------------------------

Commentary:

Where Is The Outrage?

By Petr Pronsati
Editor

UPDATE: Souther California's Gay Newspaper

   Governor Wilson vetoed domestic partnership benefits last year. After a
disappointed comment or two, life went on.
   Last week, he rescinded a new policy that allowed Gay and Lesbian couples
to adopt children. A couple of people expressed dismay, and life goes on.
   On February 28, a three-member panel from the Fourth Appellate District of
the California Court of Appeals overturned the conviction of Eddie Barton,
the man who was convicted in 1993 of murdering John Wear in cold blood on
Essex Street in Hillcrest. A handful of people turned out for a candlelight
vigil, and seemingly, life goes on.
   Wake up.
   Where is the outrage?
   All over this city, state and nation, rights are being denied, people are
being murdered, killers are going free. How is it that life just goes on?
   Justice Pat Benke, in writing the opinion that reversed the ruling,
stated, "The evidence is thin in support of the argument that the assaults
were Gay bashings."
Wear was taunted with "Don't cry faggot, don't cry" while he was beaten and
stabbed.
   Thin, Justice Benke? What is wearing thin is the prevailing attitude that
because someone is perceived to be Gay, his/her life is somehow less
important.
   In Laurel, Mississippi, two Gay men, Robert Walters and Joseph Shomake,
were executed. The defense argued that if they were found to be HIV-positive,
the murders should be considered justifiable; the killer would have been
acting in self-defense. The jury, fortunately, did not buy that argument. The
case, however, is under appeal. That conviction could be overturned. And life
will go on.
   In suburban Detroit, Scott Amedure was shot twice in the chest with a
shotgun because he committed the unpardonable crime of admitting he had a
crush on a straight man. All over the country, the media is blaming tabloid
talk shows, or Amedure himself, for the crime. The man who has confessed to
the crime, John Schmitz, is being painted as a victim. The prosecutor in the
case was quoted as saying, "The 'Jenny Jones' show ambushed the defendant
with humiliation. In retaliation, the defendant ambushed the victim with a
shotgun."
   That's wonderful. Who needs a good defense attorney when the man
prosecuting you has already portrayed you as a poor victim.
   So here we are again. John Wear is dead. The man who killed him bragged
about how he "took care of a few fags last night." We are now supposed to
accept this decision from the appeals court and let life go on.
   Wrong.
   Life doesn't go on. It certainly doesn't go on for Robert Walters and
Joseph Shomake. It doesn't go on for Scott Amedure. Ask John Wear's parents
and brother if John's life goes on.
   It's time to speak up. It's time to be outraged. If we just let life go
on, we endorse the institutionalizing of hatred.
   Where are the cries for justice? Where are the letters of shock and
disbelief?
   Why haven't Councilmember Kehoe and Supervisor Roberts, both of whom
relied heavily on our support for their elections, decried this miscarriage
of justice? Why haven't we demanded they do?
   Where is a statement from Assemblymember Dede Alpert or Councilmember
Scott Harvey, both of whom represent many Gay and Lesbian constituents,
demanding justice?
   Why aren't people filling the streets, screaming for the heads of the
three justices who did this?
   We need anger and we need it now. The state Attorney General's office will
be asking the appeals court to review their decision. From there, it will go
to the State Supreme Court. Demand justice. Don't let this end. This case
should not have to be retried.
   The appeals court ruling was wrong. Demand that they reverse it.
   Write to every elected official you can think of. Write to Joyce Burnett
at the state Attorney General's office. Her address is 110 West A Street,
Suite 1100, San Diego, CA 92101. Tell them you are outraged. Justice must be
carried out.
   Write to The San Diego Union-Tribune, KNSD, KFMB, KUSI and KGTV. Ask them
why this miscarriage of justice has not warranted any angry editorials.
   Do something, anything.
   Be angry. Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be.