Subject: More on Use of the Word Queer
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 14:12:46 -0500

RE: Use of the Word Queer
-  -  On February 26 I sent out an opinion/editorial piece on the Use of the
Word Queer and I also
posted it in the "Gay Newspapers" file in the Gay and Lesbian Community Forum
of America On
Line.  I hope you have seen or read the op/ed piece.  (if not, let me know
and I'll gladly send it to
you). -  -

The response to my essay/editorial on the use of the word Queer by the
homosexual/bisexual/transgendered community has been overwhelmingly positive
so far.  Only
one response has been against it, sort of, and that was from someone who
apparently thought I
was suggesting that we stop saying "gay and lesbian" and start using "gay" to
mean homosexual
men and women again.

In case anyone else somehow managed to read the essay that way, let me restate
 what my
opinion piece suggests:  the suggestion is that we redefine the word Gay to
mean
homosexual/bisexual/transgendered, not just homosexual.  And I am not
suggesting that we stop
using homosexual/bisexual/transgendered or that we stop saying gay and
lesbian, only that when
we want to use, alternately, a single word for our entire community, that
that word be "GAY."
Writers, speechmakers and others could go on saying homosexual/bisexual/transg
endered
people, or "the gay and lesbian community", or "gay and lesbian issues" as
often as they like, but
with the option to simply say "Gay Issues" "Gay Community" "Gay Publication"
and have us all
accept it as meaning homosexual/bisexual/transgendered (or transsexual, is
that the same
thing?)

While we're at it: I dare, (probably because I'm a woman, and a lesbian
feminist in my forties,) to
ask why it is that we've found it necessary to constantly refer to homosexual
men and women as
"gays and lesbians" but we just assume that "bisexual" and "Transgendered"
both include both
men and women and we feel no need to emphasize that fact.  I mean, why don't
we have to say
"bisexual men and women"?  Why is just "bisexuals" enough?

What I'm really saying, of course, is that maybe we've finally reached a
point where lesbians feel
they're visible enough (this is the "lesbian chic" era, after all) that we
can go back to just saying
"homosexuals" - and everyone can get comfortable with the fact that that
includes both women
and men unless we specify otherwise?

Maybe we can start saying the "homosexual/bisexual/transgender" community
rather than having
to say "gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community".

I'm not saying this is going to be easy, of course.  Education on the new use
of the term Gay
would have to happen.  It would be no more difficult than changing the
definition and emotional
connotations of the word Queer, though, and I would think that more of us
would agree on, and
be happy with, the expansion of the word Gay.

I would think that our publications would need to include notes about the new
use and definition
of the word Gay . . . probably for a long time.  It would be something that
would have to be
discussed and debated in our press and in speeches, and that organizations
would have to
discuss it and it's possible impact on the names we use.  But the discussion
already happens all
the time, doesn't it?  And it has gone on for years  . . . what do we call
our event, organization,
community center, project?  This would add one more choice for possible terms
and names, and
maybe we'll all get really comfortable with Gay meaning
homosexual/bisexual/transgender.

I keep writing the word (Gay) with a capital "G" - and that is perhaps a way
we can write it to
remind people that this is the inclusive use of the word.  Using the capital
G is not important,
though - it was just a passing thought.  I'm still seeking feedback on my
ideas, and would be
happy to share that feedback with others who request it.  If you send me feedb
ack, you might
want to let me know if it's OK for me to share your comments with others.

I've closed my post office box, by the way, so if you want to contact me by
mail, please us my
home address in Salt Lake.(below)  Or call me at (801)288-9294.  Email:
[email-masked]
I would really love to get copies of any publications where my original op/ed
piece is published,
or at least a photocopy or tear sheet.  Or at least email me to let me know
you're running it.  It's
fun to hear how far it is reaching.  Thanks!