Subject: Mit Homophobia Panel Video Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 94 15:37:35 EST

Barker Media at MIT has just released a 1993 MIT panel discussion
 video on homophobia.

  "Homophobia in the Media and Society: One Life to Live and Beyond."
  A Panel Discussion.  Produced by MIT Video Productions in association
  with Barker Media.  (Running time: 90 min.)  Release date: Feb. 1994.
  Barker Media, Room 10-500, MIT, Cambridge MA 02139. 617-253-5694
  Internet address: [email-masked] (Mark Belson)

    Sponsored in part by the MIT Libraries and Women's Studies, this
  April 1993 MIT program is now available.  Panel moderator Warren
  Blumenfeld, editor of the recently published book "Homophobia: How
  We All Pay the Price," leads a discussion with panelists Art Cohen
  (filmmaker, "Growing Up Gay"), Michael Duffy (Chairman, Massachusetts
  Commission Against Discrimination/MCAD), A. Victoria Mederos and 
  Pamela A. Streetz (Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Speakers Bureau of
  Boston).  Among the topics addressed are the gays in the military
  debate, multicultural manifestations of homophobia, the relationship
  of this form of prejudice to other biases, such as anti-Semitism and
  racism, media representations of the lesbigay population, internalized
  homophobia in this community, the impact of the AIDS crisis on perceptions
  of lesbigay minorities, portrayals in popular culture, homophobia in not
  only the electronic but print media, and reflections on the panelists'
  own personal and professional experiences with homophobia and the 
  corrosive effects of social ostracism and stigmatization by a sexual
  majority.  The discussion is framed with excerpts from Mr. Blumenfeld's 
  book and there is an audience respondent section during the last third
  of the panel evening.  The program is introduced by the producer, Mark
  Belson, who mentions an MIT screening of the homophobia storyline on
  ABC-TV's show "One Life to Live" which was the inspiration for this
  symposium.  "Examining all the ways our society labors, and wounds,
  under its burden of homophobia can help open our eyes - parents, kids,
  educators, health providers, everyone - and prevent needless and tragic
  suffering." (Beth Winship, "Ask Beth" columnist, cited in the opening
  titles.)
  
  Anyone interested in a free brochure about this video (with ordering
  information) can email [email-masked] or contact Mark Belson,
  Barker Media, Room 10-500, MIT, Cambridge MA 02139. 617-253-5694.