Subject: politics "Mad Elephants"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 12:46:16 -0400

MAD ELEPHANTS
                               The 1992 Republican National Convention

"Burn the Log Cabin!  Burn the Log Cabin!"  chant the youth delegates at the
'92 Republican National Convention in Robert Parker's video documentary Mad
Elephants.  When one of the innocent looking kids is asked why she wants to
get rid of the gay G.O.P. group she responds "Because we don't believe in the
big tent theory", parroting many of the adult delegates in attendence, waving
signs that read "Family Rights Forever, Gay Rights Never".  Yet 32% of gay
men and lesbians voted Republican in 1994 according to Out Magazine and many
lesbians and gays are having second thoughts about re-electing President
Clinton in '96.  Mad Elephants reminds everyone what the Republicans said
about gays and lesbians at the '92 RNC -- in their own words, not the words
of the video makers.  The ignorance is laughable.  The hate is frightening.  

Mad Elephants is divided into four sections:  1) gays and lesbians in the
military, 2) AIDS, 3) equal marriage rights, and 4) equal rights in general.
 The positions expressed here, in convention floor interviews with Republican
delegates from all over the country, including Newt Gingrich, Pat Robertson,
Bob Dornan, Phyllis Schlafly, and Lou Sheldon; in speeches by Phil Gramm and
Pat Buchanan; and in quotes from the official written party platform, make
clear that lesbians and gays don't have a place at the Republican table.
 Additional footage shows AIDS protesters outside the convention being
rounded up by mounted police; a man being hassled for wearing an AIDS
awareness T-shirt on the convention floor; and the only arrest of a reporter
at this convention -- an out lesbian working for the Gay Cable Network.  

For more information on this video documentary please wirte to:
                                            Rock-It Press
                                            P.O. Box 401
                                            New York, NY  10116-0401