Subject: =-= Gay TV: 4/27-5/3 =-=
From: Michael Biocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 96 18:41:37 -0500

Sent at: 6:35 pm Eastern Time, April 29, 1996
 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-=                   "GAY TV LISTINGS OF THE WEEK"                    -=-=
-=-=                  Weekly Column By Michael Biocco                   -=-=
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-=            Carol Mortimer retired from this on March 30            -=-=
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
Hello friends!  This is a list of Television shows for Saturday, 4/27/96
and Friday, 5/3/96.  All shows are Eastern Time unless otherwise noted.
Based on TV listings for the Phila/NJ/NYC area.  The list covers Gay,
Lesbian, Bi, Transgendered, Gay/straight AIDS themes, and other sexual
minorities.
 
I'm adding Monday through Friday to the list.  This is what I have so far.
I'm not done scanning and searching my TV sources, and probably will post
GAY TV UPDATES.
 
This list DOES NOT include Pay Channels and Satellite programming.  If you
would like to see a complete listings, visit my Web Site or read GLB-News
or PA-MOTSS Mailing Lists.
 
P V   >> IN THE LIFE.  Airs this month on PBS stations, check local
         listings.  "The spring 1996 episode examines how gay issues are
         covered and used in election years; Kate Clinton interviews
         openly gay U.S.  Representative Barney Frank, Marga Gomez's
         one-woman play 'A Line Around The Block,' and more."  --WHYY's
         Web Page.
 
R V   >> LIE DOWN WITH DOGS.  Airing on Pay-Per-View this week.  "A gay
         New Yorker finds no jobs but no shortage of companions when he
         spends a summer in Provincetown, Mass.  Starring Wally White and
         James Sexton."  -- Direct Choice Satellite Guide
 
Sat   >> SEX IN THE '90s MARATHON.  Airs beginning at 1:30 pm, Saturday,
C        April 27, on MTV Cable.  "Magazine Examining attitudes toward
         sex, relationships, safe sex, AIDS, and sexual orientation."
         --TV Guide.  Four hours (1:30 pm to 5:30 pm).
 
Sat   >> IN THE MIX.  Airs Saturday, April 27, 6:00 pm, New Jersey
P        Network, Channels 23, 50 and 52.  "Students produce a video on
         racism and hate."  TV Guide.  Check your local PBS listings.
 
Sat   >> MIDNIGHT EXPRESS.  Airs Saturday, April 27, 8:05 pm, on TBS
C V      Cable.  "A fact-based, though sensationalized, 1978 film
         dramatizing the ordeal of Billy Hayes (Brad Davis), an American
         imprisoned in Turkey for attempting to smuggle drugs out of the
         country."  --TV Guide.  I forget, but I think Billy has a
         relationship with a male cellmate.
 
Sat   >> MY SO-CALLED LIFE.  Airs 9:00 pm, Saturday, April 27, on MTV
C        Cable.  This show is supposed to be very gay positive according
         to Carol Mortimer, she mentioned it a lot.  I believe there are
         one or two openly gay high school students on the show.  This
         show also airs Monday through Fridays at 5:00 pm, on MTV.
 
Sat   >> RUPAUL'S PARTY MACHINE.  Airs 10:00 pm, Saturday, April 27, on
C        VH1 Cable.  Super-model-drag-queen RuPaul, VJs this one hour show
         of her favorite dance videos.  VH1 done a four hour marathon of
         this show two weeks ago.  Don't know if this is a repeat or a
         whole new hour.  Surprisingly VH1 did not senor, RuPaul did a lot
         of talking about herself, dressing in drag, and being gay!  They
         even pulled a man out of the audience and dressed him in full
         drag.  More like a talk-show than a music video show.  VERY GAY
         SUPPORTIVE!  Entertaining and fun.
 
Sat   >> SISTERS.  Airs Saturday, April 27, 10:00 pm, NBC. "Charley and
NG       Wes (an inter-racial couple) continue to fight for permanent
         custody of Jesse.  A social worker feels that a black family
         should raise him."  --TV Guide.
 
Sat   >> STOLEN MOMENTS:  RED, HOT AND COOL.  Airs Saturday, April 27,
P        11:00 pm, New Jersey Network, Channels 23, 50 and 52.  "Jazz and
         hip-hop artists perform, and people discuss their experiences
         with the disease in an AIDS awareness event."  --TV Guide.
 
Sat   >> WITNESS:  A PROGRAM FOR CHANGE.  Airs 1:00 am, Saturday-Sunday,
C        April 27, on VH1 Cable.  "A Documentary on the human-rights
         organization WITNESS.  Includes interviews with Peter Gabriel,
         Michael Stipe and Sting."  --TV Guide.  May include human rights
         for GLBT folks.
 
Sun   >> IN THE MIX.  Airs Sunday, April 28, 11:30 am, on New York City
P        WNET channel 13.  See above.
 
Sun   >> WITNESS:  A PROGRAM FOR CHANGE.  Airs 2:00 pm, Sunday, April 28,
C        on VH1 Cable.  See above.
 
Sun   >> JUST ONE OF THE GUYS.  Airs 4:00 pm, Sunday, April 28, Comedy
C V      Central Cable.  "Well done story of a female high school teen who
         poses as a male and enrolls in another school, to research a
         newspaper article on sexism.  When she falls for a male classmate
         at the other school, most of the students think that she's a gay
         male."  --Carol M.
 
Sun   >> SOUTH BANK SHOW.  Airs 7:00 pm, Sunday, April 28, Bravo Cable.
C        Elton John performs a song in this tribute to George Gershwin.
         Elton John came out a few years ago.
 
Sun   >> SISTER, SISTER.  Sunday, April 28, 8:00 pm, on Philadelphia WPHL
L        channel 17.  "When Tia's anxieties about a prominent pimple comes
         to a head, she askes Tamera (Tamera Mowry) to go out on a date in
         her place."  --TV Guide.  Check your local WB Network channel
         listings.
 
Sun   >> BOOKNOTES.  Airs 8:00 pm, Sunday, 4/28/96, on C-SPAN.  "The guest
C        is author David Reynolds, discussing his new biography of gay
         poet Walt Whitman."  --Robert L.
 
Sun   >> VH1 HONORS:  WITNESS.  Airs live 9:00 pm, Sunday, April 28, on
C        VH1 Cable.  "Tim Robbins hosts the third annual concert live from
         the Universal Amphitheatre in Los Angeles."  --TV Guide.  Top
         music performers pay tribute to the human-rights organization
         WITNESS.  A pre-show airs at 8:00 pm.
 
Sun   >> VH1 HONORS:  WITNESS.  Airs 11:00 pm, Sunday, April 28, on VH1
C        Cable.  Repeat of the concert.  See above.
 
Sun   >> DREAM ON.  Airs 11:30 pm, Sunday, April 28, on Comedy Central
C        Cable.  "Mickey (who's gay) breaks up with his boyfriend and
         moves in with Martin."  --TV Guide.
 
Sun   >> SOUTH BANK SHOW.  Airs 2:05 am, Sunday-Monday, April 28, Bravo
C        Cable.  See above.
 
Mon   >> HIGHLIGHTS OF VH1 HONORS:  WITNESS.  Airs 6:00 pm, Monday, April
C        29, on VH1 Cable.  See above.
 
Mon   >> RUPAUL'S PARTY MACHINE.  Airs 9:00 pm, Monday, April 29, on VH1
C        Cable.  See above.
 
Mon   >> HIGHLIGHTS OF VH1 HONORS:  WITNESS.  Airs 12:30 am, Monday-
C        Tuesday, Apr 29, VH1 Cable.  See above.
 
Tue   >> BEST OF AMERICAN BANDSTAND.  Airs Tuesday, April 30, 12:30 pm, on
C        VH1 Cable.  The Village People preform.
 
Tue   >> VH1 HONORS:  WITNESS.  Airs 8:00 pm, Tuesday, April 30, on VH1
C        Cable.  Repeat, see above.
 
Tue   >> BEST OF AMERICAN BANDSTAND.  Airs Tuesday, April 30, 10:00 pm, on
C        VH1 Cable.  The Village People preform.
 
Tue   >> RUPAUL'S PARTY MACHINE.  Airs 12:30 am, Tuesday-Wednesday, April
C        30, on VH1 Cable.  See above.
 
Wed   >> JERRY SPRINGER.  Airs Wednesday, May 1, 11:00 am, on Philadelphia
L        WPSG Channel 57.  "KKK spokesman speaks against gay people."
         --Talk Soup.  Airs Wednesday in most areas, check your local
         listings.
 
Wed   >> ZORRO, THE GAY BLADE.  Airs 3:00 pm, Wednesday, May 1, on Comedy
C V      Central Cable.  See above.
 
Wed   >> ZORRO, THE GAY BLADE.  Airs 8:00 pm, Wednesday, May 1, On Comedy
C V      Central Cable.  See above.
 
Thu   >> JERRY SPRINGER.  Airs Thursday, May 2, 11:00 am, on Philadelphia
L        WPSG channel 57.  "Man leaves his finance for another man."
         --Talk Soup.  Airs Thursday in most areas, check your local
         listings.
 
Thu   >> UNFILTERED.  Airs 4:30 pm, Thursday, May 2, on MTV.  TV Guide
C        reports "gay rights in Oregon."
 
Thu   >> UNFILTERED.  Airs 7:30 pm, Thursday, May 2, on MTV.  TV Guide
C        reports "gay rights in Oregon."
 
Thu   >> UNFILTERED.  Airs 1:30 am, Thursday-Friday, May 2, on MTV.  TV
C        Guide reports "gay rights in Oregon."
 
Thu   >> SEX IN THE '90s.  Airs 4:00 am, Thursday-Friday, May 2, on MTV.
C        Two more episodes follow.  See above.
 
Fri   >> SALLY JESSY PAPHAEL.  Airs Friday, May 3, 10:00 am, on
L        Philadelphia WKYW channel 3. "Men who dress as women."  --Talk
         Soup.  Airs Friday in most areas, check your local listings.
 
                                      Left margin codes:
                                            The day of the week
                                        L = Check your Local listing
                                       LL = Locally produced, only airs
                                            in city/town indicated
                                        $ = Premium Pay Cable Network
                                        P = Check your Local PBS station
                                        C = Nationally, on basic cable
                                        R = Pay-per-view
                                        V = Check Video Sales/Rental Store
                                       NG = Non-Gay, Diversity Related Show
                                        S = Satellite, Direct TV
 
Until next time, snuggle up to your TV set and keep the couch warm for me!
<smile and a hug>
 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-=   Michael F Biocco          ____     MAILTO:[email-masked]   -=-=
-=-=   PO Box 270                \  /          MAILTO:[email-masked]   -=-=
-=-=   Clementon, NJ 08021        \/           MAILTO:[email-masked]   -=-=
-=-=   Fax 609-566-1404         http://www.jersey.net/~not2/gaytv.htm   -=-=
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=