Subject: Gay TV Shows 3/23/96 - 3/29/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 18:59:14 -0500

Hi, folks!  This is note #1 (of 8) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/23/96 - Fri 3/29/96. Be sure to read all 8 notes.  Local shows are listed
with local times; national shows are Eastern time zone.

********************************************************

The following shows air at multiple/various times:

- TINSELTOWN'S QUEER.  Episode #3 (of 4) on the Lesbian & Gay Freedom to
Marry Coalition.  Airs in the Los Angeles metro area:
> Sat. 3/23/96, 11:30 am, on Century Cable channel 3.  
> West Hollywood, CA:  Airs weekly on Wednesdays at 7:00 pm, Century Cable
Channel 3

- PHILADELPHIA (CC).  Tom Hanks won an Oscar for his portrayal of a gay
lawyer, who is fired when he develops AIDS and his gayness becomes known.
 Denzel Washington is his attorney.  The Flirtations perform a song.  Airs:
> Sat. 3/23/96, 6:50 pm, The Movie Channel (TMC)
> Sun. 3/24/96, 5:25 am (NOT pm!), TMC

- BOYS LIFE.  Satellite Choice DirectTV magazine says this "anthology
explores the trials and triumphs of three teenaged gay men."  Airs:
> Sat. 3/23/96, 7:30 pm, SFC
> Sun. 3/24/96, 6:00 pm, SFC
> Wed. 3/27/96, 5:30 pm, SFC
> Thurs. 3/28/96, 5:00 am (NOT pm), SFC

- CLAIRE OF THE MOON.  Film about the development of a lesbian romance
between two women at a writers' retreat.  A lot of women love this film, but
I wasn't all that fond of it.  Too much drinking for my tastes.  Airs:
> Sat. 3/23/96, 9:30 pm, Sundance Film Channel (SFC)
> Sun. 3/24/96, 4:00 pm, SFC

- TOGETHER ALONE.  A reader notes that the Direct Choice DSS Guide describes
this low-budget film this way:  "After having unsafe sex, two gay men have a
long, revelatory conversation, discussing the defining issues of their time:
 sexual identity, AIDS, feminism, gay liberation, and loneliness."  Airs:
> Sat. 3/23/96, 11:00 pm, Sundance Film Channel (SFC)
> Sun. 3/24/96, 2:00 pm, SFC
> Thurs. 3/28/96, 8:30 am (NOT pm), SFC
> Thurs.-Fri. 3/28-29/96, 3:00 am, SFC

- JUST ONE OF THE GUYS.  Well done story of a female high school teen who
poses as a male and enrolls in another school, to research a newspaper
article on sexism.  When she falls for a male classmate at the other school,
most of the students think that she's a gay male.  Airs:
> Sun. 3/24/96, 6:45 am and 3:00 pm, Encore 
> Mon. 3/25/96, 2:45 pm, Cinemax
> Thurs. 3/28/96, 7:15 pm, Encore
> Fri. 3/29/96, 7:00 am and 2:00 pm, Encore
> Fri. 3/29/96, noon, Cinemax

- BOYS ON THE SIDE (CC).  Whoopi Goldberg gives a great performance as a
lesbian who falls in love with another woman in this film.  AIDS is also a
featured topic.  Mary Louise Parker and Drew Barrymore co-star.  Airs:
> Sun. 3/24/96, 12:30 pm & again at 9:00 pm, Prism
> Mon. 3/25/96, 5:00 am (NOT pm!), Prism

************** TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #2 **************
Be sure to read all 8 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #2 (of 8) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/23/96 - Fri 3/29/96. Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #1 *****************

- THE PELICAN BRIEF (CC).  It is incidental to the plot, but one of the
Supreme Court Justices who is killed early in this film turns out to have
been a closeted gay man. Airs:
> Sun. 3/24/96, 3:00 pm & 11:00 pm, Prism

- MYSTERY:  GALLOWGLASS.  TV Guide says:  "A three-part adaptation of
'Gallowglass,' Barbara Vine's novel about the bizarre relationship between
two men and a dangerous scheme that targets a wealthy heiress."  The type of
relationship is not revealed, so this may or may not be gay-oriented.  No
promises.  Check your local listings.  This airs on some PBS stations this
week, including:
> Sun. 3/24/96, 9:00 pm, on New Jersey Network public tv stations (incl.
Camden WNJS ch. 23, Trenton WNJT ch. 52, & WNJM ch. 50 in northern NJ) - all
three parts

- PERSONAL BEST (CC).  Most of the lesbians I know really dislike this 1982
film about two Olympic athletes (Mariel Hemingway, Patrice Donnelly) who are
lovers.  A big objection is to their incredibly obnoxious male coach Terry
(Scott Glenn).  Airs:
> Sun.-Mon. 3/24-25/96, 3:45 am, Encore
> Thurs.-Fri. 3/28-29/96, 1:15 am, Encore

- RICHARD BEY:  DISAPPROVING OF A SISTER'S LIFESTYLE.  No promises, but
"lifestyle" is often a TV Guide euphemism for sexual orientation.  Airs Mon.
3/25/96 in most areas, so check local listings.  Airings include:
> Mon. 3/25/96, noon, Phila. PA WPSG ch. 57
> Mon. 3/25/96, 4:00 pm, New York City WWOR ch. 9 (airs in NYC only; not on
their national cable feed)

- THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS (CC).  This show has an AIDS/HIV storyline
involving the character of Keesha. 
> Y&R's air time depends on location, so check listings.
> On the east coast, Y&R airs weekdays at 12:30 pm on CBS

- ALL MY CHILDREN (CC).  This past week, Michael Delaney sued the school
board for discrimination, for firing him from his job at Pine Valley High
School.  There were some great courtroom moments!  This is a front burner
story.  AMC now has 3 ongoing gay male characters:  history teacher Michael
Delaney (Chris Bruno); teen Kevin Sheffield (Ben Jorgensen), whose homophobic
brother Jason is in jail for a murder motivated by anti-gay hate; & WRCW
Stage Manager Rudy.
> Airs weekdays at 1:00 pm ET on ABC.

- GENERAL HOSPITAL (CC).  Robin Scorpio, a longtime female character, is
HIV-positive.
> Airs weekdays at 3:00 pm ET on ABC.

- THE PRIVATE FILES OF J. EDGAR HOOVER.  TV Guide says that this movie is a
"sensationalistic look at the FBI chief's career".  Given the 1977 production
date, however, it is unlikely to get into his personal life.  Airs:
> Mon. 3/25/96, 7:00 pm, Encore
> Tues. 3/26/96, 12:30 pm, Encore

************* TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #3 **************
Be sure to read all 8 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #3 (of 8) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/23/96 - Fri 3/29/96. Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #2 ******************

- SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION.  Entertaining movie starring Will Smith as a gay
con man.  Stockard Channing and Donald Sutherland costar.  Reportedly
fact-based.   Airs:
> Mon.-Tues. 3/25-26/96, 2:30 am, Showtime
> Wed. 3/27/96, 12:30 pm, Prism
> Wed.-Thurs. 3/27-28/96, midnight, Prism

- RICHARD BEY:  MOTHERS WHO DISAPPROVE OF A DAUGHTER'S LIFESTYLE.
 (Hmm...sounds familiar.  Same disclaimer as earlier.  No promises.)  This
one airs Wed. 3/27/96 in most areas, so check your listings.  Airings
include:
> Wed. 3/27/96, noon, Phila. PA WPSG ch. 57
> Wed. 3/27/96, 4:00 pm, NYC WWOR ch. 9 (in NYC only)

- LAUREN HUTTON AND....  According to TV Guide, the scheduled guest is
"Author John Pierson ('Spike, Mike, Slackers & Dykes')".  Airs late Wed.
night 3/27/96 in most areas.  Check local listings.  Airings include:
> Wed.-Thurs. 3/27-28/96, 1:00 am, on Phila PS WPSG ch. 57
> Wed.-Thurs. 3/27-28/96, 1:35 am, on NYC NY WCBS ch. 2

- SALLY JESSY RAPHAEL: PAST GUESTS DISCUSS TRANSSEXUALISM.  Airs Fri. 3/29/96
in most areas.  Check local listings.  Airings include:
> Fri. 3/29/96, 10:00 am, Phila. PA KYW ch. 3
> Fri. 3/29/96, 4:00 pm, NYC NY WNBC ch. 4

- ROLONDA:  UNCONVENTIONAL WEDDINGS.  No promises on this one either; this is
probably straight weddings that happen while skydiving, or something like
that.  But it seemed possible that they would toss in some same-sex weddings.
 Airs Fri. 3/29/96 in some (but NOT all) areas.  Check your local listings.
 Scheduled airings include:
> Fri. 3/29/96, 10:00 am, on NYC-based WPIX national cable ch. 11

- XENA:  WARRIOR PRINCESS.  TV Guide says "Xena has a tall order to fill
trying to prevent a war between the Amazons and the Centaurs; and Gabrielle
finds herself with some pretty big shoes to fill when she's chosen to replace
an Amazon princess who died in her arms."  (This probably won't be true to
the legend of the Amazons, but ya never know....  No promises on gay
content!)  Syndicated, so check local listings.  Airings include:
> Fri. 3/29/96, 9:00 pm, on Phila. PA WPSG ch. 57

The following shows air once this week as far as I know:

- GREETINGS FROM AFRICA.  Airs Sat. 3/23/96, 10:30 pm, Sundance Film Channel.
 Robert L. says: "A young black woman searches for a girlfriend in New York
City."

- KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN.  Airs in Phila. PA on Sat. 3/23/96, 11:00 pm, on
WHYY ch. 12.  William Hurt and Raul Julia costar as two men who share a South
American prison cell.  Hurt's character is gay, and the two men form a very
interesting relationship.  

***************** CONTINUED ON NOTE #4 ****************
Be sure to check out all 8 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #4 (of 8) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/23/96 - Fri 3/29/96. Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Most times Eastern. 

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #3 ******************

- DOUBLE OBSESSION.  Airs Sat.-Sun. 3/23-24/96, 1:30 am, Prism.  I'm not sure
about this one.  TV Guide says "(1991) Violence, sexual situations, strong
language. Psycho-saga about a woman (Margaux Hemingway) whose obsession with
her college roommate (Maryam D'Abo) drives her to acts of violence."  It
doesn't reveal the nature of the obsession, and I don't recall ever having
heard of this one, so....

- VICTOR/VICTORIA.  Airs Sun. 3/24/96, 4:30 pm, Turner Classic Movies (TCM).
 Great and VERY gay-positive musical comedy with Julie Andrews pretending to
be a drag queen.  Highly recommended.

- THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT.  Airs Sun. 3/24/96, 9:00
pm, The Movie Channel.  TV Guide calls this a "delightfully campy account of
three transvestites' offbeat escapades as they traverse the Australian
outback in their ramshackle bus, 'Priscilla.'" A reader reports that the
movie is actually about two transvestites and a transsexual. 

- THE ACADEMY AWARDS/OSCARS (CC).  Airs Mon. 3/25/96, 9:00 pm, ABC (live).  I
know that many share my disappointment that the wonderful documentary THE
CELLULOID CLOSET (based on Vito Russo's book) was not nominated in the Best
Documentary/Feature category.  However, some excellent films were nominated
for Best Documentary/Short Subject.
  One of them, THE SHADOW OF HATE:  A HISTORY OF INTOLERANCE IN AMERICA, is a
superb review of all forms of hate and prejudice throughout this country's
history.  This film makes bigotry very personal, by showing cases of
*individuals* who have been hurt, in addition to large groups.  It includes
the case of Charlie Howard, a gay man who died when homophobes threw him off
of a Bangor Maine bridge in 1984 because he was gay.
  This powerful film was produced by Charles Guggenheim for The Southern
Poverty Law Center's Teaching Tolerance Project.  (The 40 minute video, an
excellent companion book: "US AND THEM" by Jim Carnes, and a teachers' guide
are all available FREE OF CHARGE to schools whose principals request it in
writing on school letterhead.  Send request letters to THE SHADOW OF HATE,
c/o Teaching Tolerance, 400 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, AL 36104.)

- THE ELEANOR ROOSEVELT STORY.  Airs in NYC NY on Mon. 3/25/96, 9:00 pm, on
WNET ch. 13.  1965 documentary.  TV Guide says: "Oscar-winning reflections on
the life and work of the former First Lady (1884-1962)."  Given the year it
was made, this film will NOT discuss E.R.'s reported lesbian relationship
with reporter Lorena Hickok.  (The relationship was only discovered in 1978,
when the FDR Library in Hyde Park released the private correspondence between
E.R. and "Hick.")

- ED WOOD (CC).  Airs Mon. 3/25/96, 9:00 pm, The Movie Channel.  Great film
about the straight cross-dressing film director (played by Johnny Depp).  His
friends included many gay and transgendered folks.  Oscar-winner Martin
Landau is superb as Bela Lugosi, and Bill Murray is great as Bunny
Breckinbridge. 

************* TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #5 *****************
Be sure to check all 8 notes.
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #5 (of 8) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/23/96 - Fri 3/29/96. Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #4 ******************

- COMEDY HOUR:  PAULA POUNDSTONE GOES TO HARVARD.  Airs Mon. 3/25/96, 11:00
pm, HBO-2.  Robert L. reports that Paula has a great line in this show about
Colorado anti-gay fundamentalists.  

- INDEPENDENT IMAGES.  Airs in Phila. PA on Mon. 3/25/96, 11:00 pm, on WHYY
ch. 12.  Among the shorts airing Mon. is "Cross Dressing Ken".  

- ORLANDO (CC).  Airs Tues. 3/26/96, 5:45 pm, The Movie Channel.  Film about
a person who lives 400 years and manages to change genders several times
without the benefit of surgery.  Based on the Virginia Woolf story. Despite
the intriguing premise, this is an *incredibly* boring movie.  

- POSITIVE HEALTH.  Airs in Phila. PA on Tues. 3/26/96, 7:30 pm, WYBE ch. 35.
 A local show by and for people with AIDS and HIV disease.

- DANA CARVEY SHOW (CC).  Airs Tues. 3/26/96, 9:30 pm, ABC.  According to
readers, this new series had several gay elements last week, including one
that seemed like it might be a recurring segment:  an animated short about a
pair of superheroes called "The Ambiguously Gay Duo."  (Robert L. wrote:
 "Bad guys keep getting distracted, trying to figure out if our heroes are a
'couple.'")  No promises on gay content, but it sounds likely.

- SIDNEY SHORR.  Airs in Phila. PA on Tues.-Wed. 3/26-27/96, 3:00 am, on WPHL
ch. 17.  TV Guide says "(Made for TV, 1981) Tony Randall plays a middle-aged
homosexual whose dreary life is brightened by his new roommate, a spirited
young acress (Lorna Patterson).  Pilot for the 1981-83 series 'Love,
Sidney.'"  (This film was the first - and nearly the last- time the
character's sexual orientation was revealed.)

- MAKING OF KIDS IN THE HALL - BRAIN CANDY (CC).  Airs Tues.-Wed. 3/26-27/96,
4:05 am, HBO.  TV Guide says that this is "a behind-the-scenes look at the
1996 movie."  My readers confirm that this movie DOES have gay content. 

- EAGLE SCOUT: THE STORY OF HENRY NICOLS (CC). Airs Wed. 3/27/96, noon, HBO.
 Documentary about a teenage Eagle Scout who gives talks to kids about his
HIV infection and his fight against AIDS.  

- BALLOT MEASURE 9.  Airs Wed. 3/27/96, 8:00 pm, Cinemax.  TV Guide says
"(1994)  Chronicling the battle over a 1992 Oregon initiative that would have
repealed state laws protecting gay sfrom discrimination.  Included:  speeches
by leaders of the group that sponsored the measure.  Directed by Heather
MacDonald."  

- CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC.  Airs in Phila. PA on Thurs.-Fri. 3/28-29/96, 2:00
am, WPHL ch. 17.  "(1980) An account of how the disco group The Village
People was formed."-TV Guide  Unknown if this film reveals ttheir early roots
in gay clubs. 
 
**************** CONTINUED ON NOTE #6 ******************
Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Happy viewing.

Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #6 (of 8) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/23/96 - Fri 3/29/96. Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #5 ******************

- ZORRO, THE GAY BLADE.  Airs Fri. 3/29/96, 7:00 pm, Comedy Central.  1981
film starring George Hamilton as the swordsman's twin sons, who take over for
their father after his death.  One is straight, and the other is a flaming
queen.  Picture Zorro in a lavender tassled hat!  Lots of stereotypical
moments, but great fun anyway.  

- DUE SOUTH (CC).  Airs Fri. 3/29/96, 8:00 pm, CBS.  TV Guide says:  "It's a
real drag when Fraser's quest for a rare bottle of scotch leads to an
undercover stint as a female teacher at a Catholic girls school, where he
winds up investigating the disappearance of a street-wise student."

*********************************************************

That's it for this week's gay & AIDS tv shows.  In the "ALL ISMs ARE RELATED"
category, check out these non-gay, diversity-related tv shows....

The following shows air at multiple/various times:

- WOMEN AND SOCIAL ACTION.  Airs:
> Sun. 3/23/96, 7:00 AM (NOT pm!), Allentown PA WLVT ch. 39A
> Fri. 3/29/96, 6:00 AM, Allentown PA WLVT ch. 39A

- VOICES FROM THE VILLAGE.  TV Guide says:  "Debut:  Black leaders address
issues facing their community.  First up:  psychologists Na'im Akbar and Asa
Hilliard discuss socialization."  Airs this weekend on many PBS stations.
 Airings include:
> Sat. 3/23/96, 2:30 pm, on NYC NY WNET ch. 13
> Sun. 3/24/96, noon, Phila. PA WHYY ch. 12

- MARK WALBERG:  SEXUAL HARASSMENT AMONG SCHOOLCHILDREN.  Airs Tues. 3/26/96
in most areas.  Check listings.  Airings include:
> Tues. 3/26/96, 10:00 am, on New York City WNYW ch. 5
> Tues. 3/26/96, noon, on Phila. PA WTXF ch. 29

- JENNY JONES:  CRITICIZING PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR WEIGHT (CC).  Airs Wed.
3/27/96 in some (NOT most) areas.  Airings include:
> Wed. 3/27/96, 11:00 pm, on NYC NY ch. 9

- GABRIELLE:  WOMEN'S ROLES IN THE '90s (CC).  Airs Thurs. 3/28/96 in most
areas.  Check listings.  Airs:
> Thurs. 3/28/96, 11:00 am, on Phila. PA WTXF ch. 29
> Thurs. 3/28/96, 1:00 pm, on NYC NY WNYW ch. 5

- GERALDO:  RACE RELATIONS BETWEEN WOMEN.  Airs Thurs. 3/28/96 in most areas.
 Check listings.  Airs:
> Thurs. 3/28/96, 3:00 pm, on Phila. PA WCAU ch. 10
> Thurs. 3/28/96, 4:00 pm, on NYC NY WCBS ch. 2

**************** CONTINUED ON NOTE #7 ******************
Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Happy viewing.

Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #7 (of 8) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/23/96 - Fri 3/29/96. Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #6 ******************

Continuation of non-gay, ALL ISMs ARE RELATED DEPARTMENT tv listings:
The following shows air once this week as far as I know:

- BE GOOD MY CHILDREN.  Airs Sat. 3/23/96, 11:00 pm, on New Jersey Network
public tv stations (incl. Camden WNJS ch. 23, Trenton WNJT ch. 52, & WNJM ch.
50 in northern NJ).  TV Guide says that this "1992 drama about a Korean
family's pursuit of the American Dream in New York City deals with issues of
assimilation, racism and biculturalism.  Mrs. Lee:  June Kawai."

- DEALING WITH DIVERSITY.  Episodes air in Allentown PA on Sat.-Sun.
3/23-24/96, at midnight & 1:00 am, on WLVT ch. 39A.

- HIDDEN IN SILENCE (CC).  Airs Sun. 3/24/96, noon, Lifetime cable.  TV Guide
says: "A fact-based drama about a Catholic teen (Kellie Martin) living in
Poland during World War II, who risked her own life to hide 13 Jews from the
Nazis."  

- IMAGES/IMAGENES.  Airs Sun. 3/24/96, 12:30 pm, on New Jersey Network public
tv stations (incl. Camden WNJS ch. 23, Trenton WNJT ch. 52, & WNJM ch. 50 in
northern NJ).  This week's topic is "Affirmative Action."

- THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN.  Airs Sun. 3/24/96, 6:00 pm, Lifetime cable.  TV
Guide says:  "(Made for TV; 1988)  Emmy-winning fact-based story with Jack
Lemmon as a Georgia governor put on the spot by a controversial case."  I've
never seen the film, but Mary Phagan was a 13 year old Atlanta factory worker
who was murdered in a particularly brutal crime in April of 1913.  Leo Frank,
her Jewish National Pencil Company superintendent, became the scapegoat for
her murder, due to a wave of intense anti-Semitism in Atlanta.  The trial was
a national outrage; Frank was found guilty and sentenced to death despite a
complete lack of evidence.  When another man later confessed to the crime,
the governor commuted Frank's death penalty and ordered a review of the case.
 Shortly thereafter, a mob kidnapped Leo Frank from jail and lynched him
anyway.  (Note:  This case is discussed at length in the documentary film
"THE SHADOW OF HATE.")

- LT. HENRY O FLIPPER.  Airs in Allentown PA on Sun. 3/24/96, 11:00 pm, on
SLVT ch. 39A.  "Ossie Davis assumes the role of the Nation's first black Army
officer in this adaptation of a one-act play.  Included:  dramatized
reminiscences of an elderly Lt. Flipper."-TV Guide

- GLORY.  Airs Mon. 3/25/96, 6:55 pm, The Movie Channel. Denzel Washington
stars in this film, which TV Guide describes as a "stirring tribute to the
Army's first black regiment, mustered up during the Civil War". 

- SURVIVORS OF THE HOLOCAUST (CC).  Airs Mon. 3/25/96, 8:05 pm, WTBS national
cable superstation.  Documentary. 

**************** CONTINUED ON NOTE #8 ******************
Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Happy viewing.

Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #8 (of 8) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/23/96 - Fri 3/29/96. Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #7 ******************

Continuation of non-gay, ALL ISMs ARE RELATED DEPARTMENT tv listings:

- MANKILLER:  WOM./POWER.  Airs in NYC NY on Mon. 3/25/96, 10:30 pm, on PBS
WNET ch. 13.  "A profile of the first woman principal chief of the Cherokee
Nation examines her efforts to help Native Americans."-TV Guide

- BEYOND BEIJING:  WOMEN AND ECONOMIC JUSTICE.  Airs in Phila. PA on Thurs.
3/28/96, 10:00 pm, on WHYY tv ch. 12.  (Simulcast on WHYY 91 FM's Radio Times
show.)  WHYY's program guide says that this is "a followup to last summer's
U.N. Fouth World Conference on Women in Beijing and a tribute to Women's
History Month."  It is "hosted by Marty Moss-Coane with a panel of guests
discussing women and economic justice."

- FIREFIGHTER.  Airs Fri. 3/29/96, 2:00 pm, on Lifetime cable.  "Fact-based
story of Los Angeles county's first female firefighter (Nancy McKeon),
centering on her rigorous training - and vigorous taunting by her male
colleagues."-TV Guide

*********************************************************

MY SINCERE APOLOGIES who anyone who tried to access my web site last week.
 Prodigy's HTML Scratchpad update server was down and I couldn't post my
weekly listings for almost a week.  I assure you, it wasn't for lack of
trying!  (The site is back up again.)

*********************************************************

One last note:  folks who have web access should periodically check out my
web site IN ADDITION TO THESE LISTS.  The web site has much more info than
can fit into my weekly lists.

*********************************************************
Be sure to read all 8 notes!  Happy viewing.

Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.

WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
 http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html