Subject: Gay TV 3/16/96 - 3/22/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 03:51:44 -0500

Hi, folks!  This is note #1 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/16/96 - Fri 3/22/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes.  Local shows are listed
with local times; national shows are Eastern time zone.

********************************************************

The following shows air at multiple/various times:

- THE PELICAN BRIEF (CC).  It is incidental to the plot, but one of the
Supreme Court Justices who is killed early in this film turns out to have
been a closeted gay man. Airs:
> Sat. 3/16/96, 9:00 am & 5:30 pm, HBO
> Sat. 3/16/96, 10:00 am, Prism
> Sat. 3/16/96, 10:30 pm TIME APPROXIMATE, Prism

- TINSELTOWN'S QUEER.  Episode #2 (of 4) on the Lesbian & Gay Freedom to
Marry Coalition.  Airs in the Los Angeles metro area:
> Sat. 3/16/96, 11:30 am, on Century Cable channel 3.  
> West Hollywood, CA:  Airs weekly on Wednesdays at 7:00 pm, Century Cable
Channel 3

- BOYS LIFE.  Satellite Choice DirectTV magazine says this "anthology
explores the trials and triumphs of three teenaged gay men."  Airs:
> Sat. 3/16/96, 6:00 pm, Sundance Film Channel.  
> Sat.-Sun. 3/16-17/96, midnight, SFC

- MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE.  British film about an interracial gay couple who
run a laundry.  I've never seen it, but I've heard very good things about
this one. Airs:
> Sat.-Sun. 3/16-17/96, 3:10 am, The Movie Channel
> Thurs. 3/21/96, 11:20 pm, The Movie Channel

- GREAT PERFORMANCES: LIFELINES.  TV Guide says "Folk singers Peter Paul and
Mary blend voices with some musical friends, including Richie Havens, Odetta,
Tom Paxton and John Sebastian."  My old buddy Lee S. writes that this show
"has a song (sung by Mary Travers) that deals with lesbian and gay couples
and AIDS in an extremely positive way. The song is called 'Home is Where the
Heart Is' and it's both simple and moving."  (Thanks, Lee!)  Airings include:
> Sun. 3/17/96, 4:00 pm, on NYC NY WNET ch. 13
> This show is airing on PBS stations around the country during pledge weeks,
so check local listings.  

- THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS (CC).  This show has an AIDS/HIV storyline
involving the character of Keesha. 
> Y&R's air time depends on location, so check listings.
> On the east coast, Y&R airs weekdays at 12:30 pm on CBS

- ALL MY CHILDREN (CC).  The story line about gayness and anti-gay violence
continues.  I haven't seen this week's tapes yet, but rumor has it that gay
teen Kevin's homophobic father is hitting town, and that HIS attitudes are
going to produce some interesting changes in the locals.  AMC has been doing
a great job with this storyline.  They now have 3 ongoing gay male
characters:  history teacher Michael Delaney (Chris Bruno); teen Kevin
Sheffield (Ben Jorgensen), whose homophobic brother Jason is in jail for a
murder motivated by anti-gay hate; & WRCW Stage Manager Rudy.
> Airs weekdays at 1:00 pm ET on ABC.

************** TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #2 **************

Be sure to read all 6 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #2 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/16/96 - Fri 3/22/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #1 *****************

- GENERAL HOSPITAL (CC).  Robin Scorpio, a longtime female character, is
HIV-positive.
> Airs weekdays at 3:00 pm ET on ABC.

- CLAIRE OF THE MOON.  Film about the development of a lesbian romance
between two women at a writers' retreat.  A lot of women love this film, but
I wasn't all that fond of it.  Too much drinking for my tastes.  Airs:
> Mon. 3/18/96, 5:30 pm, Sundance Film Channel (SFC)
> Mon-Tues. 3/18-19/96, 3:30 am, SFC
> Tues. 3/19/96, 2:00 pm, SFC

- MIKE & MATY (CC).  According to the TV Guide, the scheduled guests include
actor Dan Butler ("Frasier").  I don't watch Frasier and it is quite possible
that I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that he's the openly gay actor from that
show.  Airs Tues. 3/19/96 in most areas, including:
> Tues. 3/19/96, 11:00 am, NYC NY WABC ch. 7
> Tues. 3/19/96, 11:30 am, Phila. PA WPVI ch. 6

- RICKI LAKE:  GAYS WANTING TO HAVE CHILDREN.  This will air in some but NOT
all areas on Tues. 3/19/96.  Check local listings.  Airings include but
aren't limited to:
> Tues. 3/19/96, noon, NYC NY WWOR ch. 9 (airing in NYC only; not on their
national syndicated cable feed)

- RICHARD BEY:  DISAPPROVING OF A MOTHER'S LIFESTYLE.  No promises on this
one, but "lifestyle" is a common TV Guide euphemism for sexual orientation.
 Airs Wed. 3/20/96 in most areas; check local listings.  Airings include:
> Wed. 3/20/96, 11:00 am, NYC NY WWOR ch. 9 (NYC only)

The following shows air once this week as far as I know:
- TOGETHER ALONE.  Airs Sat. 3/16/96, 1:00 pm, Sundance Film Channel.  Robert
L.'s Satellite Choice Direct Choice DSS Guide describes this low-budget film
like this:  "After having unsafe sex, two gay men have a long, revelatory
conversation, discussing the defining issues of their time:  sexual identity,
AIDS, feminism, gay liberation, and loneliness." 

- FAMILY VIDEO DIARIES.  Airs:  Sat. 3/16/96, 4:30 pm, HBO.  TV Guide said:
 "Debut:  A series exploring how families cope with crisis opens with a young
woman's cinema verite account of her father's battle with AIDS.  Included:
the impact of his illness on the family during his final year."  However, a
reader who says that he's familiar with the family calls this film "a
textbook example of the power of television to create myths about AIDS, about
family values, about individuals."

- IN THE LIFE.  Airs in Buffalo NY Sat. 3/16/96, 10:00 pm, on WNEQ ch. 23.
 Quarterly lesbian & gay newsmagazine. WYBE's program guide says:
"Celebrating Black History Month, IN THE LIFE investigates current conditions
of gays and lesbians in South Africa and how black men are finding their own
community in Harlem.  Also covered in the show: gay presence on the Internet
and the Mautner Project for lesbians with cancer." 

************* TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #3 **************

Be sure to read all 6 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #3 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/16/96 - Fri 3/22/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #2 ******************

- OUTSIDE THE LINES:  "AIDS IN SPORTS".  Airs Sun. 3/17/96, 12:30 pm, ESPN.
 TV Guide says that this show "includes profiles of three athletes who have
tested positive for HIV:  Magic Johnson, Greg Louganis and Tommy Morrison."
 Olympic gold medalist Louganis also recently came out as a gay man.

- THE REAL WORLD REUNION.  Airs Sun. 3/17/96, 7:30 pm, MTV.  This show
reportedly includes a tribute to the late Pedro Zamora, a gay cast member who
died of AIDS.  

- INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE (CC).  Airs Sun. 3/17/96, 8:00 pm, HBO.  Tom
Cruise and Brad Pitt co-star in this film, based on Anne Rice's book.  I've
heard different opinions on whether the movie qualifies for this column. Some
folks think Cruise and Pitt have a homoerotic attraction.  I'm bowing to the
majority opinion and listing it, although I didn't see the content as
particularly gay.  

- ED WOOD (CC).  Airs Sun.-Mon. 3/17-18/96, 12:35 am, The Movie Channel.
 Great film about the straight cross-dressing film director (played by Johnny
Depp).  His friends included many gay and transgendered folks.  Oscar-winner
Martin Landau is superb as Bela Lugosi, and Bill Murray is great as Bunny
Breckinbridge.  

- JUST LIKE A WOMAN.  Airs Sun.-Mon. 3/17-18/96, 4:40 am, Cinemax.  Satellite
Choice DirectTV magazine says "NG  1992 Comedy 'R'  Julie Walters, Adrian
Pasdar.  A cross-dressing executive loses his marriage and job, but finds
love with an adventurous divorcee."  

- THE NAKED TRUTH.  Airs: Mon. 3/18/96, 3:00 pm, Comedy Central.  TV Guide
says:  "(1993) 'Some Like it Hot' knockoff, with two aspiring actors donning
dresses to evade drug smugglers."  

- FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE. Airs Mon. 3/18/96, 10:00 pm, STARZ.  Satellite
Choice DirectTV magazine says:  "1993 Drama 'R' Leslie Cheung, Zhang Fengyi.
 A Peking Opera singer's marriage to an ex-prostitute causes a rift in his
longtime friendship with a gay co-star. (letterbox edition)  

- THE HAPPY GORDONS.  Airs in New York City on Mon. 3/18/96, 10:00 pm, NYC
WNET ch. 13.  "The treatment of gays and lesbians in Ireland is examined."-TV
Guide   

- EAGLE SCOUT: THE STORY OF HENRY NICOLS (CC).  Airs Tues. 3/19/96, 6:45 am,
HBO.  Documentary about a teenage Eagle Scout who gives talks to kids about
his HIV infection and his fight against AIDS.  

- PARTNERS.  Airs Tues. 3/19/96, 3:00 pm, Comedy Central.  This movie has
some great laughs poking fun at stereotypes.  Ryan O'Neal and John Hurt play
two cops (1 straight, 1 gay) who go undercover as a gay male couple to
investigate anti-gay crimes in L.A..  The final scene in this movie is
priceless!  

***************** CONTINUED ON NOTE #4 ****************
Be sure to check out all 6 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #4 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/16/96 - Fri 3/22/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern. 

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #3 ******************

- DREAM ON.  Airs Tues. 3/19/96, 7:30 pm, Comedy Central.  "Martin competes
with his new girlfriend's former lesbian lover (Jennifer Tilly)."-TV Guide  

- POSITIVE HEALTH.  Airs in Philadelphia PA on Tues. 3/19/96, 7:30 pm on WYBE
ch. 35.  Local weekly show by and for people with AIDS and HIV disease.

- OKOGE.  Airs Tues. 3/19/96, 9:00 pm, Sundance Film Channel.  Satellite
Choice DirectTV magazine says "1993 Drama 'NR'  Misa Shimizu, Tekehiro
Murata.  A straight woman living in Tokyo becomes involved in the lives of a
gay man and his married lover." 

- MAKING OF KIDS IN THE HALL - BRAIN CANDY (CC).  Airs Tues. 3/19/96, 9:45
pm, HBO.  TV Guide says that this is "a behind-the-scenes look at the 1996
movie."  No word on gay content.  It seems likely given the artists involved,
but no promises.  

- LIBERACE.  Airs in NYC NY on Tues.-Wed. 3/19-20/96, 12:05 am, on NYC WABC
ch. 7.  TV Guide says:  "(Made for TV; 1988) Andrew Robinson's uncanny
portrayal keys this biography of the flamboyant pianist (1919-87)".  

- COMEDY HOUR:  PAULA POUNDSTONE GOES TO HARVARD.  Airs Tues.-Wed.
3/19-20/96, 3:55 am, HBO-2.  Robert L. reports that Paula has a great line in
this show about Colorado anti-gay fundamentalists. 

- WHY AM I GAY? (CC).  Airs Wed. 3/20/96, 7:30 am (NOT pm!), HBO.  

- ORLANDO (CC).  Airs Wed. 3/20/96, 12:55 pm, The Movie Channel.  Film about
a person who lives 400 years and manages to change genders several times
without the benefit of surgery.  Based on the Virginia Woolf story. Despite
the intriguing premise, this is an *incredibly* boring movie.  

- PROTOCOL.  Airs Wed. 3/20/96, 2:00 pm, Lifetime cable.  1984 movie about a
cocktail waitress (Goldie Hawn) who becomes an incredibly unlikely employee
of the State Dept.  Her two closest friends and housemates are a gay male
couple who are portrayed very positively.  Recommended.  

- SPARTACUS (CC).  Airs:  Wed. 3/20/96, 8:00 pm, Disney cable.  This is the
'restored' version.  This film was discussed prominently in The Celluloid
Closet, a documentary about g/l/b/t imagery in Hollywood films.  The
restoration is of some dialog from a bath scene with Laurence Olivier and
Tony Curtis, which has gay overtones.  It was considered too risque to be
included in the original theatrical release of the film.  

************* TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #5 *****************
Be sure to check all 6 notes.
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #5 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/16/96 - Fri 3/22/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #4 ******************

- AMERICAN CINEMA:  THE STAR (CC).  Airs Wed. 3/20/96, 9:00 pm, on New Jersey
Network public tv stations (incl. Camden WNJS ch. 23, Trenton WNJT ch. 52, &
WNJM ch. 50 in northern NJ).  TV Guide says this episode from the miniseries
"traces the phenomenon of stardom and documents the rise of powerful studios,
which dictated dress codes and social behavior to their celebrities.  The
hour also recalls the public's love affair with such distinctive
personalities as John Wayne, James Stewart and Joan Crawford."  Unknown if
this will address the bearded public image given to some of Hollywood's most
closeted gay stars, but it seems possible.  

- LIVING SINGLE (CC).  Airs Thurs. 3/21/96, 8:00 pm, FOX.  TV Guide says "Max
throws a bridal shower for her old college roommate (Karen Malina White), who
takes Max by surprise when she arrives with her intended - a woman."

- COMMUNITY FORUM:  OUT OF THE CLOSET.  Airs in Phila. PA on Thurs. 3/21/96,
9:30 pm, on WYBE ch. 35.  Monthly show by and for the local l/g/b/t
communities, with particular emphasis on our communities of color.

- DOG DAY AFTERNOON.  Airs Thurs.-Fri. 3/21-22/96, 2:55 am, WTBS cable.  Al
Pacino stars as a bank robber who held up a Brooklyn bank in 1972 to try to
get money for his lover's sex change operation.  Supposedly based on a true
story.  

- THREESOME (CC).  Airs Thurs.-Fri. 3/21-22/96, 3:35 am, Showtime cable.
 Three college students in a dorm assignment mixup.  The woman is in love
with man #1... Man #1 is in love with man #2...  Man #2 is in love with the
woman.....  

- THIS MORNING (CC).  Airs Fri. 3/22/96, 7:00 am, CBS.  TV Guide says that
the scheduled guests include actor Michael Nouri who "discusses his role in
the Broadway musical 'Victor/Victoria.'"  I don't know which role he plays,
but the show is based on a very gay-positive Julie Andrews film with several
characters who are gay (& others who pretend to be gay).  

**************SPECIAL ADVANCE NOTICE!!!!***************

If you are lucky enough to get Robert Redford's new Sundance Film Channel,
set your VCR for next Saturday, 3/23/96.  This channel will be offering an
entire evening of lesbian & gay programming:  "Boys Life," "Claire of the
Moon," "Greetings From Africa," and "Together Alone."

*********************************************************

That's it for this week's gay & AIDS tv shows.  In the "ALL ISMs ARE RELATED"
category, check out these non-gay, diversity-related tv shows....

The following shows air at multiple/various times:

- TONY BROWN'S JOURNAL:  "A FOLLOW-UP TO AN EPISODE ON ALLEGATIONS OF
DISCRIMINATION INVOLVING THE MILITARY".  Airs this weekend in some (NOT all)
areas, usually on PBS stations.  Airings include:
> Sat. 3/16/96, 4:30 pm, on Allentown PA WLVT ch. 39A

**************** CONTINUED ON NOTE #6 ******************
Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Happy viewing.

Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #6 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/16/96 - Fri 3/22/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #5 ******************

Continuation of non-gay, ALL ISMs ARE RELATED DEPARTMENT tv listings:

- HIDDEN IN SILENCE (CC).  TV Guide says: "A fact-based drama about a
Catholic teen (Kellie Martin) living in Poland during World War II, who
risked her own life to hide 13 Jews from the Nazis."  Airs:
> Sat. 3/16/96, 6:00 pm, Lifetime cable
> Fri. 3/22/96, 9:00 pm, Lifetime cable

- WOMEN AND SOCIAL ACTION.  Airs:
> Sun. 3/17/96, 7:00 AM (NOT pm!), Allentown PA WLVT ch. 39A
> Fri. 3/22/96, 6:00 AM, Allentown PA WLVT ch. 39A

- JENNY JONES:  DISCRIMINATION BASED ON A PERSON'S APPEARANCE.  Airs Mon.
3/18/96 in some (not all) areas.  Check local listings.  Airings include:
> Mon. 3/18/96, on NYC NY WWOR ch. 9 (local NYC feed only)

The following shows air once this week as far as I know:

- DEALING WITH DIVERSITY.  Episodes air in Allentown PA on Sat.-Sun.
3/16-17/96, at midnight & 1:00 am, on WLVT ch. 39A.

- SAY IT LOUD.  Airs in Allentown PA on Mon. 3/18/96, 7:30 pm, on WLVT ch.
39A.  TV Guide says:  "Debut:  A series examining some of the issues faced by
the Lehigh Valley's African-American Population.  Dennis Kelly hosts."

- IMAGES/IMAGENES:  "A DISCUSSION OF AFFIRMATIVE ACTION."  Airs in New Jersey
on Wed. 3/20/96, 6:30 pm, on the New Jersey Network public tv stations (incl.
Camden WNJS ch. 23, Trenton WNJT ch. 52, & WNJM ch. 50 in northern NJ).

- BUDDIES (CC).  Airs Wed. 3/20/96, 9:30 pm, on ABC.  TV Guide says "John
tries to prove a point by shoplifting in front of a color-conscious security
guard (Lee Ryan), who's too busy watching Dave to notice.  But the store
disapproves of his teaching technique, and he finds himself escorted to the
security office."

- GLORY.  Airs Fri. 3/22/96, 5:05 pm, The Movie Channel.  Denzel Washington
stars in this film, which TV Guide describes as a "stirring tribute to the
Army's first black regiment, mustered up during the Civil War".

*********************************************************

One last note:  folks who have web access should periodically check out my
web site IN ADDITION TO THESE LISTS.  The web site has much more info than
can fit into my weekly lists.

*********************************************************

Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Happy viewing.

Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html