Subject: Gay TV Shows 3/9/96 - 3/15/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 02:45:09 -0500

Hi, folks!  This is note #1 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/9/96 - Fri 3/15/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes.  Local shows are listed
with local times; national shows are Eastern time zone.

********************************************************

The following shows air at multiple/various times:

- JUST ONE OF THE GUYS.  Well done story of a female high school teen who
poses as a male and enrolls in another school, to research a newspaper
article on sexism.  When she falls for a male classmate at the other school,
most of the students think that she's a gay male.  Airs:
> Sat. 3/9/96, 8:45 am and again at 4:45 pm, Encore
> Sun. 3/10/96, 1:45 pm, Cinemax
> Tues.-Wed. 3/12-13/96, 3:00 am, Encore

- BOYS ON THE SIDE (CC).  Ignore the obnoxious title. Whoopi Goldberg gives a
great performance as a lesbian who falls in love with another woman in this
film.  AIDS is also a featured topic.  Mary Louise Parker and Drew Barrymore
co-star.  Airs:
> Sat. 3/9/96, 9:30 am & again at 9:00 pm, Prism

- THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT.  TV Guide calls this a
"delightfully campy account of three transvestites' offbeat escapades as they
traverse the Australian outback in their ramshackle bus, 'Priscilla.'" A
reader reports that the movie is actually about two transvestites and a
transsexual.  Airs:
> Sat. 3/9/96, 3:25 pm, The Movie Channel
> Thurs. 3/14/96, 11:00 am, The Movie Channel
> Thurs.-Fri. 3/14-15/96, 12:55 am, The Movie Channel

- ED WOOD (CC).  Great film about the straight cross-dressing film director
(played by Johnny Depp).  His friends included many gay and transgendered
folks.  Oscar-winner Martin Landau is superb as Bela Lugosi, and Bill Murray
is great as Bunny Breckinbridge.  Airs:
> Sat. 3/9/96, 5:05 pm, The Movie Channel
> Sat.-Sun. 3/9-10/96, 3:05 am, The Movie Channel
> Thurs. 3/14/96, 1:55 pm, The Movie Channel
> Thurs.-Fri. 3/14-15/96, 2:40 am, The Movie Channel

- DREAM ON.  "Martin competes with his new girlfriend's former lesbian lover
(Jennifer Tilly)."-TV Guide  Airs:
> Sat. 3/9/96, 10:00 pm, Comedy Central (definite airing)
> Sat.- Sun. 3/9-10/96, 1:30 am, Comedy Central (likely, but not definite)

- REALITY BITES.  A reader says: "A television intern and her friends grapple
with post-college life in Houston.  The coming-out of one of the friends is a
minor subplot."  Airs:
> Sat.-Sun. 3/9-10/96, midnight, STARZ
> Sun. 3/10/96, 8:15 am (NOT pm), STARZ

- SISKEL & EBERT.  This weekend, they review the new gay film The Birdcage,
starring Robin Williams and Nathan Lane. (It's a remake of the wonderful
French film La Cage Aux Folles.)  Airs this weekend, so check local listings.
 Airings include:
> Sat.-Sun. 3/9-10/96, 1:30 am, on Wildwood NJ WMGM ch. 40
> Sun. 3/10/96, 11:30 pm, on New York City WNYW ch. 5
> Sun.-Mon. 3/10-11/96, 1:05 am, Philadelphia PA KYW ch. 3

************** TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #2 **************
Be sure to read all 6 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #2 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/9/96 - Fri 3/15/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #1 *****************

- WHY AM I GAY (CC)?  Airs:
> Sun. 3/10/96, 7:00 am (NOT pm!), HBO
> Fri. 3/15/96, 10:00 am, HBO

- THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS (CC).  This show has an AIDS/HIV storyline
involving the character of Keesha. 
> Y&R's air time depends on location, so check listings.
> On the east coast, Y&R airs weekdays at 12:30 pm on CBS

- ALL MY CHILDREN (CC).  The story line about gayness and anti-gay violence
continues.  Jason is now in jail for killing Laurel, in his attempt to shoot
gay history teacher Michael.  Also, Jason's gay brother is now staying with
Opal and Palmer Courtland.  This show now has three ongoing gay male
characters:  history teacher Michael Delaney (Chris Bruno), Jason's teen
brother Kevin Sheffield (Ben Jorgensen), & WRCW Stage Manager Rudy.
> Airs weekdays at 1:00 pm ET on ABC.

- GENERAL HOSPITAL (CC).  Robin Scorpio, a longtime female character, is
HIV-positive.
> Airs weekdays at 3:00 pm ET on ABC.

- MAKING OF KIDS IN THE HALL - BRAIN CANDY (CC).  TV Guide says that this is
"a behind-the-scenes look at the 1996 movie."  No word on gay content.  It
seems likely given the artists involved, but no promises.  Airs:
> Mon. 3/11/96, 7:30 pm, HBO
> Wed. 3/13/96, 10:30 am, HBO

- TOGETHER ALONE.  Robert L.'s Satellite Choice Direct Choice DSS Guide
describes this low-budget film like this:  "After having unsafe sex, two gay
men have a long, revelatory conversation, discussing the defining issues of
their time:  sexual identity, AIDS, feminism, gay liberation, and
loneliness."  Airs:
> Mon. 3/11/96, 7:30 pm, Sundance Film Channel
> Tues. 3/12/96, 2:00 pm, Sundance Film Channel
> Fri. 3/15/96, 9:00 pm, Sundance Film Channel

- SALLY JESSY RAPHAEL: TRANSVESTISM.  Airs Tues 3/12/96 in most areas, so
check local listings.  Airings include:
> Tues. 3/12/96, 10:00 am, Philadelphia PA KYW ch. 3
> Tues. 3/12/96, 4:00 pm, on New York City NY WNBC ch. 4

- FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL (CC).  Readers have praised this movie, which
features a gay male couple who are portrayed positively.  Airs:
> Wed. 3/13/96, 12:20 pm & 10:55 pm, The Movie Channel

- CLAIRE OF THE MOON.  Film about the development of a lesbian romance
between two women at a writers' retreat.  A lot of women love this film, but
I wasn't all that fond of it.  Too much drinking for my tastes.  Airs:
> Wed. 3/13/96, 7:00 pm, Sundance Film Channel
> Wed.-Thurs. 3/13-14/96, 12:30 am, Sundance Film Channel

************* TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #3 **************
Be sure to read all 6 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #3 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/9/96 - Fri 3/15/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #2 ******************

The following shows air once this week as far as I know:

- TINSELTOWN'S QUEER.  Airs in the Los Angeles metro area on Sat. 3/9/96,
11:30 am, on Century Cable channel 3.  Episode #1 (of 4) on the L&G Freedom
to Marry Coalition.

- ORLANDO (CC).  Airs Sat. 3/9/96, 1:50 pm, The Movie Channel.  Film about a
person who lives 400 years and manages to change genders several times
without the benefit of surgery.  Based on the Virginia Woolf story. Despite
the intriguing premise, this is an *incredibly* boring movie.  

- ALL ABOUT BETTE (CC).  Airs Sat. 3/9/96, 4:00 pm, New Jersey Network public
tv stations (incl. Camden WNJS ch. 23, Trenton WNJT ch. 52, & WNJM ch. 50 in
northern NJ).  TV Guide says "Jodie Foster narrates a profile of Bette Davis
(1908-89) whose 'real life was filled with ambivalence.'  Included:  Davis's
battles with studio bosses."  I've never heard any rumors about Bette Davis,
but I'm listing this one at the suggestion of some folks who've seen it. 

- COPS (CC).  Airs Sat. 3/9/96, 8:00 pm, on most Fox stations (include. NYC
NY WNYW ch. 5 and Phila. PA WTXF ch. 29).  TV Guide says "Dallas officers ...
question a man dressed in drag, who was reportedly beaten and robbed." 

- MOMMY, WHO'LL TAKE CARE OF ME?  Airs in San Francisco on Sun. 3/10/96,
10:00 pm, on San Francisco KQED channel 9.  Laura writes that this show
"examines families that are bravely addressing the issues which arise when a
family member has AIDS."

- SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION.  Airs Sun.-Mon. 3/10-11/96, 3:15 am, Showtime
cable.  Entertaining movie starring Will Smith as a gay con man.  Stockard
Channing and Donald Sutherland costar.  Reportedly fact-based.  

- OUTSIDE THE LINES:  "AIDS IN SPORTS".  Airs Mon. 3/11/96, 9:00 pm, ESPN.
 TV Guide says that this show "includes profiles of three athletes who have
tested positive for HIV:  Magic Johnson, Greg Louganis and Tommy Morrison."
 Olympic gold medalist Louganis also recently came out as a gay man.

- JUST LIKE A WOMAN.  Airs Tues. 3/12/96, 5:05 pm, Cinemax-2.  Satellite
Choice DirectTV magazine says "NG  1992 Comedy 'R'  Julie Walters, Adrian
Pasdar.  A cross-dressing executive loses his marriage and job, but finds
love with an adventurous divorcee."  

- FAMILY VIDEO DIARIES.  Airs Tues. 3/12/96, 7:00 pm, HBO.  TV Guide says:
 "Debut:  A series exploring how families cope with crisis opens with a young
woman's cinema verite account of her father's battle with AIDS.  Included:
the impact of his illness on the family during his final year."  

***************** CONTINUED ON NOTE #4 ****************
Be sure to check out all 6 notes!
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #4 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/9/96 - Fri 3/15/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern. 

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #3 ******************

- POSITIVE HEALTH.  Airs in Philadelphia PA on Tues. 3/12/96, 7:30 pm on WYBE
ch. 35.  Local weekly show by and for people with AIDS and HIV disease.

- COMEDY HOUR:  PAULA POUNDSTONE GOES TO HARVARD.  Airs Wed. 3/13/96, 11:30
pm, HBO-3 (not regular HBO).  Robert L. reports that Paula has a great line
in this show about Colorado anti-gay fundamentalists. 

- CONAN O'BRIEN (CC).  Airs Wed.-Thurs. 3/13-14/96, 12:35 am, NBC.  TV Guide
says that the scheduled guests include actor Nathan Lane ("The Birdcage").  

- SEINFELD (CC).  Airs Thurs. 3/14/96, 9:00 pm, NBC.  Among the plot lines:
 "Kramer refuses to wear a ribbon on his AIDS walk."-TV Guide

- BLACKLIST:  HOLLYWOOD ON TRIAL.  Airs Thurs. 3/14/96, 11:45 pm, American
Movie Classics cable.  Documentary about the McCarthy era.  Unknown if it
will cover the impact of the blacklist on gay issues and artists. 

- EAGLE SCOUT: THE STORY OF HENRY NICOLS (CC).   Airs Fri. 3/15/96, 4:30 pm,
HBO.  Documentary about a teenage Eagle Scout who gives talks to kids about
his HIV infection and his fight against AIDS. 

- SPARTACUS (CC).  Airs Fri.-Sat. 3/15-16/96, 1:00 am, Disney cable.  This is
the 'restored' version.  This film was discussed prominently in The Celluloid
Closet, a documentary about g/l/b/t imagery in Hollywood films.  The
restoration is of a bath scene with Laurence Olivier and Tony Curtis, which
has gay overtones.  It was considered too risque to be included in the
original theatrical release of the film.  

- IN THE LIFE.  Airs in Buffalo NY *NEXT* Sat. 3/16/96, 10:00 pm, on WNEQ ch.
23.  Quarterly lesbian & gay newsmagazine. WYBE's program guide says:
"Celebrating Black History Month, IN THE LIFE investigates current conditions
of gays and lesbians in South Africa and how black men are finding their own
community in Harlem.  Also covered in the show: gay presence on the Internet
and the Mautner Project for lesbians with cancer." 

*********************************************************

One gay tv note this week: 

  Robert L. writes:  "It's worth noting that the Sundance Film Channel will
be running an entire evening of gay/lesbian-themed films Saturday, March 23:
'Boys Life,' 'Claire of the Moon,' 'Greetings From Africa,' and 'Together
Alone.'  Since it's a new channel, most cable systems probably don't carry it
yet; you might tell people to call and request that their cable monopoly pick
up the channel, in your next posting.  Gotta encourage channels that run
whole blocks of gay films!" 
  I agree, Robert.  So, folks, please consider yourselves told! 

*********************************************************

That's it for this week's gay & AIDS tv shows.  

Check out the next two notes for the ALL ISMs ARE RELATED DEPARTMENT
(non-gay, diversity related) tv shows.

************* TO BE CONTINUED ON NOTE #5 *****************
Be sure to check all 6 notes.
Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #5 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/9/96 - Fri 3/15/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #4 ******************

In the "ALL ISMs ARE RELATED" category, check out these non-gay,
diversity-related tv shows.

The following shows air at multiple/various times:

- WOMEN AND SOCIAL ACTION.  Airs:
> Sun. 3/10/96, 7:00 AM (NOT pm!), Allentown PA WLVT ch. 39A
> Fri. 3/15/96, 6:00 AM, Allentown PA WLVT ch. 39A

- BURNING TIMES (CC).  TV Guide says:  "A look at factors that led to witch
hunts in Europe and America between 1350 and 1750 focuses on conflicts
between the Church and women who resists its authority."  Airs:
> Sun. 3/10/96, 6:45 pm, New York City NY PBS WNET ch. 13 
> Mon. 3/11/96, 4:40 pm, NYC WNET ch. 13
> May or may not air on other PBS stations this week, so check your local
listings.  
> IMPORTANT:  Beware of PBS pledge breaks this week!

- MONTEL WILLIAMS:  DEALING WITH A LOVED ONE'S RACISM (CC).  Airs this week
in some (NOT all) areas.  Check local listings.  Airings include:
> Sun-Mon 3/10-11/96, 4:00 am, on Phila. PA WCAU ch. 10
> Fri. 3/15/96, 10:00 am, on New York City WNYW ch. 5

- MAURY POVICH:  RACISM (CC).  Airs Tues. 3/12/96 in most areas, including:
> Tues. 3/12/96, 9:00 am, on Phila. PA KYW ch. 3
> Tues. 3/12/96, 3:00 pm, on NYC NY WNBC ch. 4
> Tues. 3/12/95, 4:00 pm, on Wildwood NJ WMGM ch. 40

- JENNY JONES:  CRITICIZING PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR WEIGHT (CC).  Airs Wed.
3/13/96 in most areas.  Airings include:
> Wed. 3/13/96, 9:00 am, on Phila. PA WPVI ch. 6
> Wed. 3/13/96, 1:00 pm, on NYC NY WWOR ch 9 (NYC only)

- GERALDO:  THE LAPD AND ITS DEALINGS WITH MINORITIES.  Airs Wed. 3/13/96 in
some (not all) areas.  Airings include:
> Wed. 3/13/96, 3:00 pm, on Phila. PA WCAU ch. 10
> Wed. 3/13/96, 4:00 pm, on NYC NY WCBS ch. 2

- LAUREN HUTTON AND...  Scheduled guest is Native American activist Russell
Means.  Airs Thurs. 3/14/96 in most areas.  Check local listings.  Airings
include:
> Thurs.-Fri. 3/14-15/96, 1:00 am, on Phila. PA WPSG ch 57
> Thurs.-Fri. 3/14-15/96, 2:05 am, on NYC NY WCBS ch. 2

The following shows air once this week as far as I know:
- DEALING WITH DIVERSITY.  Episodes air in Allentown PA on Sat.-Sun.
3/9-10/96, at midnight & 1:00 am, on WLVT ch. 39A.

- GLORY.  Airs Sat-Sun. 3/9-10/96, 1:05 am, The Movie Channel.  Denzel
Washington stars in this film, which TV Guide describes as a "stirring
tribute to the Army's first black regiment, mustered up during the Civil
War".

**************** CONTINUED ON NOTE #6 ******************
Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Happy viewing.

Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.
WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html

Hi, folks!  This is note #6 (of 6) of the list of tv shows with gay, lesbian,
other sexual minority, and gay/straight AIDS themes, for the tv week of Sat
3/9/96 - Fri 3/15/96. Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Most times Eastern.

*************** CONTINUED FROM NOTE #5 ******************

Continuation of non-gay, ALL ISMs ARE RELATED DEPARTMENT tv listings:

- HIDDEN IN SILENCE.  Airs Sun. 3/10/96, 6:00 pm, Lifetime cable. TV Guide
says: "A fact-based drama about a Catholic teen (Kellie Martin) living in
Poland during World War II, who risked her own life to hide 13 Jews from the
Nazis."  

- MINERVA'S MACHINE:  WOMEN AND COMPUTING.  Airs in San Francisco on Sun.
3/10/96, 11:00 pm, on San Francisco KQED channel 9.  Laura writes that this
show "discusses issues such as what is being done to bridge the computer
gender gap, and who are the female pioneers of computer science."

- AMERICA'S DREAM (CC).  Airs Tues. 3/12/96, 11:00 pm, HBO.  TV Guide said:
 " 'The short- story medium allows us an opportunity to tell these very
poignant stories...then leave the audience with something very valuable,'
says Danny Glover, who produced this well- acted trio of dramas based on
tales by black authors Richard Wright, John Henrik Clark and Maya Angelou." 

- FREEDOM ON MY MIND.  Airs in New York City on Wed. 3/13/96, 8:00 pm, on
WNET ch. 13.  TV Guide says:  "A compelling presentation of 'The American
Experience' recalling efforts in the early 1960s by civil rights workers to
galvanize oppressed Mississippi blacks into registering to vote." 

- IN REAL LIFE:  SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN SCHOOLS.  Airs in New York City on
Wed-Thurs. 3/13-14/96, 3:00 am, on WNET ch. 13.  

- SEXUAL HARASSMENT:  YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE IT.  Airs in New York City on
Wed.-Thurs. 3/13-14/96, 3:25 am, WNET ch. 13.

- HEALING THE HATE (CC).  Airs Fri. 3/15/96, 8:00 pm, The USA Network.  TV
Guide calls this "an unsettling yet inspiring look at private citizens and
communities taking action against racism and ethnic intimidation."  An ad in
the 3/9/96 issue of TV Guide says "All it takes are people willing to reach
out.  Healing the Hate - featuring real people facing down hatred:  Talking
back to hate radio.  Combatting the Klan.  Confronting high school hate.
 Rapping to promote harmony.  Breaking the web of cyberhate.  Hosted by
Dennis Franz."  

*********************************************************

One last note:  folks who have web access should periodically check out my
web site IN ADDITION TO THESE LISTS.  The web site has much more info than
can fit into my weekly lists.

*********************************************************
Be sure to read all 6 notes!  Happy viewing.

Warmly, Carol Mortimer, NJ
  Prodigy ID = npwc08a
  AmericaOnLineID = caroLm10    In IDs: 0 & 1 are numbers.
  Internet ID = [email-masked]        o & L are letters.

WORLD WIDE WEB GAY TV HOME PAGE (case-sensitive):
http://pages.prodigy.com/NJ/carol_mortimer/gay_tv_menu.html