Subject: Gay & Lesbian Petition
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 15:58:39 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded by Request:

   BACKGROUND:
    American Airlines is a major sponsor to and supporter of groups like
   GLADD, the Human Rights Campaign, the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, the
 AIDS
   Action Foundation, DIFFA, AmFAR, and scores of community-based
   groups representing gays and lesbians.  It is also the first airline to
   adopt a written non-discrimination policy covering sexual orientation in
   its employment practices.
    In an unusual joint letter was released to the media on Friday, March
   14th from the Family Research Council, Concerned Women of America,
   American Family Association and Coral Ridge Ministries. Radical right
   leader Beverly LaHaye also went on Christian "talk radio" on Friday to
   blast American Airlines because "American's sponsorship of homosexual
   'pride' events constitutes an open endorsement of promiscuous
   homosexuality."  She and the other groups have written Bob Crandall at
   American to complain that the airline has  "gone beyond mere tolerance" of
   gays and lesbians.  The full article appeares in Friday's Fort Worth
   Star-Telegram, and possibly picked up by other newspapers around the
 country.
    It has come to the attention of the gay and Lesbian community that
   American Airline's switchboard and e-mails are being bombarded now by
   homophobic and hateful callers who have been urged by LaHaye and others
   to DEMAND the company terminate its gay-friendly policies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 -
   ***if you are the 25th, 50th, 75th, 100th, etc. person to sign this
   petition then please forward this to American Airlines at:
                    [email-masked] ***
   
   To American Airlines: We, the undersigned, support your gay/lesbian rights
   polices and commend you for your efforts in ending discrimination. Thank
   you for your dedication to such issues and please continue to remain
   active in the struggle to end discrimination.
   
[Names deleted. [email-masked]]From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 00:47:28 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Fwd: Gay & Lesbian Petition

In a message dated 97-04-15 00:42:01 EDT, JonyB1 writes:

<< 
 RE:  American Airlines support for Gay and Lesbian causes...recent email
from you.

 Hey..thanks for sending me this email about American Airlines. I am a
Journalist for a Gay & Lesbain Travel Magazine.  I have collected over 1000
names which have been added to the petition and sent them to American
Airlines.  Also I have given a copy of your email to Our managing Editor..who
you can reach at: [email-masked]   his name is Wayne Whiston. 
 
 As an additional action of support, I have sent the email to over 90,000 of
our contacts, readers and subscribers who have email addresses.  I am sure
over 50% will respond. 
 
 Let me know if there is more I can do to assist in this demonstration of our
Gay & Lesbain power. 
 
 Sincerely
 
 Jonathan Boardman
 Assistant To Editor
 Our World magazine >>