Subject: PFLAG ALERT
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:04:50 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
September 2, 1997

PFLAG ALERT:

Turn on your televisions today (Tuesday, Sept. 2) at 10 p.m. Eastern
Standard Time to check out PFLAG Austin member Doug Upchurch speak about
so-called "conversion" therapy on NBC's "Dateline" show. Doug is a survivor
of this kind of practice. We're hoping NBC will clarify many of the myths
surrounding the topic. A NBC official said this morning the show was to run
as previously slated.

As you may know, PFLAG publicly lauded the American Psychological
Association for its overwhelming vote in mid-August re-affirming the APA's call
for clients' rights to unbiased treatment and its opposition to homophobia.

In a news release, PFLAG praised the APA, which is the nation's largest
psychological organization, for its Aug. 14 vote backing the need for a
professionally-neutral therapy environment, free from any bias of society
or provider.

If you want more information about the APA's resolution on so-called
"conversion" (or "reparative") therapy, use PFLAG's Resource Fax Back
service. Just fax PFLAG at 202-638-0243 and ask for the APA resolution, or
e-mail the request to [email-masked].

Don't forget that a highlight of PFLAG's conference in Orlando next week is
a Family-to-Family national helpline. It aims to assist those who have
recently learned that their child, family member or friend is, or might be,
gay, lesbian or bisexual and want to talk to others in similar situations.
The helpline will be
available Sept. 11 at 1-800-24-PFLAG.